Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
09-02-2017, 09:26 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(09-02-2017 09:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 06:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  I went out to the back of the orchard to get the tractor (with snowblower attached) and move it close to the house - we're getting between 6 and 18 inches of snow (depending on which TV station) tomorrow. I didn't want to have to slog through that much snow (carrying the battery which I had recharged) tomorrow.

The friggin' tractor wouldn't start. Weeping It appears to be an electrical problem, possibly mouse-chewed wiring. Angry

It was 4PM and I called the tractor shop for help, throwing myself on their mercy. The mechanic said they could come pick it up but probably could get it back to me tomorrow. Blink

After some discussion about the problem, he said he'd get ask the boss what they could do. So Lisa (husband/wife team own it, all three kids and the wife's sister work there) called me back. She said she would try to get someone out to look at it early tomorrow. This is going to cost me. Dodgy

Ah, well. If they can't fix it tomorrow, Plan B® is for a friend of mine to come plow me out. The problem there is that the driveway is pretty much crushed stone and is easy to damage with a plow.

Won't crank - or no spark????

Also -- what year/make machine??

No nothing though the battery was good.

Turns out it was a bad battery cable - the connector and the battery post weren't getting along. It was intermittent.

20 year old Kubota B2400.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2017, 01:37 AM
So....

At work today it got up to 48'C on the tarmac.

Technical issues saw ALL power to my station shut down for about three hours.

Business continued 'As usual"... just paper back ups being instituted until power restored to data entry computers (One almost didn't reboot after the out age 'Heat crit' warning)

Yup... Australia... if it's not the animals.. it's the weather....
Find all posts by this user
10-02-2017, 05:16 AM
(09-02-2017 09:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-02-2017 09:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Won't crank - or no spark????

Also -- what year/make machine??

No nothing though the battery was good.

Turns out it was a bad battery cable - the connector and the battery post weren't getting along. It was intermittent.

Kubotas are great machines -- but "old"???

Try a 1949 Minneapolis Moline....

heh

Good that it was something simple. It usually is.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-02-2017, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2017 07:09 AM by Chas.)
(10-02-2017 05:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-02-2017 09:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  No nothing though the battery was good.

Kubotas are great machines -- but "old"???

Hmmm - bad punctuation. 20-year-old Kubota.

Quote:Try a 1949 Minneapolis Moline....

heh

Good that it was something simple. It usually is.

Yeah, it was a case of not seeing the problem because I knew that couldn't be the problem. Facepalm

I've had that Kubota (I bought it new) longer that I've had any car. In fact, longer than any two cars that I've owned.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-02-2017, 07:45 AM
I'd like to get rid of the MM's (we've got 4), and upgrade to a Kubota. The MM's were OK in their day - but what a kludge....

Hand throttle, hand shift, hand steering, and hand clutch. Plus - if you have a front end loader (the factory model looks like something the failing students in a machine shop class would have knocked together) -- it's all hand controls for that as well.....

The ONLY foot controls are the brakes - and those are both on one side - only accessible whilst sitting.

I guess Minneapolis Moline thought all farmers were one-legged.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-02-2017, 12:04 PM
So I've gotta try to hold my shit together and drive my POS car in its current less-than-optimal 'til Wednesday when I get paid. Dear Satan please don't let the repair bill be too much. Weeping

I swear if I could get away with it I would just ride a goddamn bike.

[Image: 6cb2e6439f8311832e5200ca71af3e56.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
10-02-2017, 12:53 PM
So, I almost had a dumbass hit me head on the day before yesterday. I just hit my brakes and hit the horn, but I stayed my course. Our vehicles were about evenly matched weight wise. If he did hit me and disabled mine, his would be just as bad off. This would mean he couldn't just run away. He was all the way into my lane. He managed to avoid hitting me. As the dumbass passed by, of course he was fucking texting. I know how these people operate. I see him in my lane and go off the road and smack a tree or guardrail and the piece of shit just keeps on going. I say "Bring it on bitch.". If he hit me, he would have been completely at fault.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
10-02-2017, 03:32 PM
I hate people like that. Sad

Also come on Baptist minister cousin's husband....come on. Shared a story about Betsy DeVos being blocked by protesters from a photo op this morning at a school. "So the liberals are blocking the entrances to schools again?" If I reply now, I'd go, "Why yes [pastor], the liberals did block the woman who wants to cut your childrens' disability services from having a photo op again. By the way, are they Saved yet? Why are you wasting time being political when they're going to go to Hell?"

Would I be a horrible person if I said that? Absolutely, objectively horrible. Do I want to say it? Yes. Maybe it's the fact I couldn't fall asleep last night and I'm running on fumes and caffeine. Maybe it's that this has been a truly crappy day. Maybe it's because he gets under my skin playing Neo Conservative Morality Police on my Facebook on seemingly every damn post I don't censor so he can't see. Maybe I'm just a bad person, filled with sin. I don't know, and right now, I wish I cared more...but while he keeps on decrying the nebulous "liberals", I have a gay coworker who is terrified Trump/Pence will make it illegal for he and his partner to adopt kids. While he keeps decrying the "liberals" another faculty member and I had to help a student with a detailed academic plan so he can retake a class, because he got arrested for unpaid speeding tickets and missed a Final worth a third of his grade in a class he wasn't doing hot in, but can't retake without a "path to success" laid out. While he decries the "liberals" I have a coworker who is running herself ragged, trying to help set up a relationship between local food banks and domestic violence shelters. So really, I'm tired, cranky, and feeling like a worthless jerk right now, and just don't have the patience to deal with him. So no reply, just going to go look at funny pictures and hope nothing else bad comes into Office Hours.

Need to think of a witty signature.
10-02-2017, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2017 03:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
For the love of Bob and all that is heathen, does anyone know how to fucking make an Excel graph with a category on the x-axis and a category on y-axis before I hunt down the Hindu in Redwood and make him eat cow?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
10-02-2017, 04:02 PM
(10-02-2017 12:53 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  So, I almost had a dumbass hit me head on the day before yesterday. I just hit my brakes and hit the horn, but I stayed my course. Our vehicles were about evenly matched weight wise. If he did hit me and disabled mine, his would be just as bad off. This would mean he couldn't just run away. He was all the way into my lane. He managed to avoid hitting me. As the dumbass passed by, of course he was fucking texting. I know how these people operate. I see him in my lane and go off the road and smack a tree or guardrail and the piece of shit just keeps on going. I say "Bring it on bitch.". If he hit me, he would have been completely at fault.

If he hit you, there's a good chance you would both be dead. Head-on collisions tend to be pretty nasty. The laws of physics don't care who's "right". In the same situation, most sane people would have gotten the hell out of his way. I certainly would have.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post