Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
11-02-2017, 12:50 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(11-02-2017 12:02 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 11:03 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  You do realize that if you embraced atheism this would no longer be a problem right? Big Grin

Forgive me father for I have sinned.
How long since your last confession?
A) Two hours B) 35 years.
Wait what?
Yeah, sorry about that.

Dude, I've been stuck in line before behind people at those communal reconciliation things where someone has been away for like 35 years and everyone in line is going "what's taking so long in there?". My favorite of the communal reconciliation services had to be when I skipped to a different line during one of those, because the priest whose line I was in, looked like Vladimir Putin. When I told the priest I ended up with, "I didn't want to confess to Father Putin" he knew exactly who I meant. Tongue

And yes, I imagine ceasing to believe would help not having to get to Confession at odd times when it's given. Edit: Funny enough FC, some Catholic on FB gave the opposite of your suggestion, "so just stop sinning".

Father Putin. Shocking

Since deconverting I only report to one being...me. I have to live with myself and my actions. The penalty for not following my conscience is regret, remorse, uneasiness, depression and sadness. I expect no third party to forgive, intercede or be my scapegoat so if I’m to make things right I must ask forgiveness to those I have wronged. Therefore I live my life knowing that the softest pillow is a clear conscience and my actions and omissions determine how well I sleep at night.

One of the great injustices a confession creates is the illusion that you have done something to make things right, when in fact you have not. It is a cheap and emotional get-out-of-jail card and solves nothing.

No disrespect intended but I experienced all the RCC has to offer and I’m not a fan.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2017, 04:03 PM
(11-02-2017 12:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 12:02 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Dude, I've been stuck in line before behind people at those communal reconciliation things where someone has been away for like 35 years and everyone in line is going "what's taking so long in there?". My favorite of the communal reconciliation services had to be when I skipped to a different line during one of those, because the priest whose line I was in, looked like Vladimir Putin. When I told the priest I ended up with, "I didn't want to confess to Father Putin" he knew exactly who I meant. Tongue

And yes, I imagine ceasing to believe would help not having to get to Confession at odd times when it's given. Edit: Funny enough FC, some Catholic on FB gave the opposite of your suggestion, "so just stop sinning".

Father Putin. Shocking

Since deconverting I only report to one being...me. I have to live with myself and my actions. The penalty for not following my conscience is regret, remorse, uneasiness, depression and sadness. I expect no third party to forgive, intercede or be my scapegoat so if I’m to make things right I must ask forgiveness to those I have wronged. Therefore I live my life knowing that the softest pillow is a clear conscience and my actions and omissions determine how well I sleep at night.

One of the great injustices a confession creates is the illusion that you have done something to make things right, when in fact you have not. It is a cheap and emotional get-out-of-jail card and solves nothing.

No disrespect intended but I experienced all the RCC has to offer and I’m not a fan.
Exactly why I went to another line, no need to Confess and think simultaneously, "Will I get some polonium laced Communion wine for my sins?" Ha, joke's on you Father Putin, I'm a germophobe about the chalice and refuse to drink after others. Tongue But wait, why does the Eucharistic Host taste like almonds?...

No disrespect taken from your point of view on things at all. Though I'd argue the Once Saved Always Saved would be "cheaper" if approached from the point of view that you're espousing. Also, much like most of my confessions, the only wrong really is the perceived wrong against myself, due to what the Church teaches is and isn't mortal sin. Really, other than the deconversion part, you're not describing things much differently than how I try to treat life, albeit colored by beliefs on my part; to use the oft quoted line "be good for goodness sake". Don't help others for a Heavenly reward, do it because you should as a fellow human being.

All that said, off to Mass! Where it'll be a lovely pre-Mass time of reading...and getting dirty looks or a comment about doing so from the little old gossiping church ladies. Turns out reading a book is far more disruptive than gossiping with each other.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2017, 04:22 PM
(10-02-2017 10:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 04:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It no do what it say. Weeping Won't let me make one series vertical and the other series horizontal.

If these are value pairs, then just put the two series in two rows in one-to-one correspondence. Then those two rows are your data and will plot and set the axes correctly.

arrrrgh, I still can't get it. It's a very simple graph and it seems like it should be a simple thing to do. I just wanns swap the damn axes so I can put the independent variable on the y-axis and the dependent variable on the x-axis just to fuck with their head as part of an understanding data graphs study. I got pics.

from this
[Image: polyline4-BWUp_zpspwz8p6zp.png]

to this
[Image: polyline4-BWUpSwap_zpskzvwrlsm.png]

Think I'm gonna give have to give up and bite the gnuplot (shit this is gonna take me a couple days to learn, it better do what I want) bullet.

#sigh
11-02-2017, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 06:37 PM by Grasshopper.)
(11-02-2017 07:48 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 04:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  If he hit you, there's a good chance you would both be dead. Head-on collisions tend to be pretty nasty. The laws of physics don't care who's "right". In the same situation, most sane people would have gotten the hell out of his way. I certainly would have.

I had the time to come nearly to a dead stop. If he hit me, the safety features would have kicked in. I may be injured, but it would be better than slamming into a tree and having the asshole continue on as if nothing happened.

I'll bet you could have gotten out of his way without "slamming into a tree". Inviting someone to hit you is never a good idea. You're probably one of those assholes who slams on the brakes when someone is tailgating you. That's not a good idea either.

Get some anger management counseling (or better yet, stop driving) before you kill someone.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
11-02-2017, 07:23 PM
(11-02-2017 06:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 07:48 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I had the time to come nearly to a dead stop. If he hit me, the safety features would have kicked in. I may be injured, but it would be better than slamming into a tree and having the asshole continue on as if nothing happened.

I'll bet you could have gotten out of his way without "slamming into a tree". Inviting someone to hit you is never a good idea. You're probably one of those assholes who slams on the brakes when someone is tailgating you. That's not a good idea either.

Get some anger management counseling (or better yet, stop driving) before you kill someone.

If I remember correctly he has already ranted about slamming on brakes for tailgaters. He is a road rage incident waiting to happen. But it will be someone else's fault...everything is.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-02-2017, 11:47 PM
The back-to-work blues are setting in. Only one more day of vacation left. Sad

12-02-2017, 12:38 AM
I'm tired and not that good afterglow type of tired.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-02-2017, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 01:01 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(12-02-2017 12:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm tired and not that good afterglow type of tired.

[Image: national-masturbation-month-may_o_1440739.jpg]

If you need a quick and easy afterglow.

Wink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-02-2017, 01:34 AM
(11-02-2017 11:47 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  The back-to-work blues are setting in. Only one more day of vacation left. Sad

This is how you spend your vacation?!

[Image: 105L.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
12-02-2017, 09:43 AM
(12-02-2017 01:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 11:47 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  The back-to-work blues are setting in. Only one more day of vacation left. Sad

This is how you spend your vacation?!

[Image: 105L.jpg]

Heh Hobo

Well, first day of vacation was last Friday and I had a doctor's appointment. Then the next Monday, went to the DMV to get daughter's learner's permit. Then Tuesday we went to New Orleans - got back home late Thursday night. Friday, went and got the kids and picked up groceries. Yesterday was root canal, then chill out. Today is D&D and then just hang out 'til time to get my son from his dad's house. And then tomorrow morning, daughter has appointment with the psych, then it's back to work for me. Weeping

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post