Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
13-02-2017, 12:46 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(13-02-2017 12:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 10:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Check his SATs.

For all I know, they could be good. Don't really have access lol.

(13-02-2017 10:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  Just remember you intellectuals are the first target. Especially if you don't spout the party rhetoric.
So sadly true. One of my colleagues had someone stand up in his Wednesday night class and denounce him as "pushing your liberal agenda down our throats" in Race, Crime, and Law when he was discussing things totally backed by the data, and was citing the data. Another of his students threatened to place him on TurningPoint USA's Liberal Professor Watchlist. (Actually two have now, a second did on Wednesday, when a student went off on Islam, and he made comparisons to Christianity in doctrine.)

Well hey, do they want the professor job? Seemingly they know everything already so I don't see why you guys need to stand up there and preach your liberal agenda teach them anything. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2017, 01:24 PM
(13-02-2017 12:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Another of his students threatened to place him on TurningPoint USA's Liberal Professor Watchlist.

If I were a mediocre, anonymous Professor somewhere why wouldn't I want someone to put me a Watchlist? Wouldn't that increase my exposure so more people would watch? Hell, might even put myself on the list.

#sigh
13-02-2017, 02:24 PM
(13-02-2017 12:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 12:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  For all I know, they could be good. Don't really have access lol.

So sadly true. One of my colleagues had someone stand up in his Wednesday night class and denounce him as "pushing your liberal agenda down our throats" in Race, Crime, and Law when he was discussing things totally backed by the data, and was citing the data. Another of his students threatened to place him on TurningPoint USA's Liberal Professor Watchlist. (Actually two have now, a second did on Wednesday, when a student went off on Islam, and he made comparisons to Christianity in doctrine.)

Well hey, do they want the professor job? Seemingly they know everything already so I don't see why you guys need to stand up there and preach your liberal agenda teach them anything. Dodgy

Knowing some of the students, yes. They want the job, which they see as 12 hours a week, not the 60-70 most of us are putting in, in my department. Tongue

(13-02-2017 01:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 12:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Another of his students threatened to place him on TurningPoint USA's Liberal Professor Watchlist.

If I were a mediocre, anonymous Professor somewhere why wouldn't I want someone to put me a Watchlist? Wouldn't that increase my exposure so more people would watch? Hell, might even put myself on the list.

Personally tend to think my colleague is pretty good. But it creates a negative reputation, one, that especially as one goes towards tenure, does not want that sort of attention that could be injurious to one's career.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2017, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 05:29 PM by adey67.)
Take him in the toilet and then rape his ass, problem sortedBig Grin actually scratch that Prof, not likely to enhance your career, I would never have dared shout at my nursing professors how times have changed
13-02-2017, 04:14 PM
(13-02-2017 12:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 12:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  For all I know, they could be good. Don't really have access lol.

Liberal agenda. Laugh out load How hard right do these dopes have to be to think that a course in criminal justice is by and for bleeding heart liberals?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Goddamn it I'm dumb, why am I so fucking dumb ? Frusty Why do I keep making the same mistakes over and over again ? Facepalm
13-02-2017, 07:32 PM
I don't think you're stupid Adey Sad

(13-02-2017 04:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 12:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Well hey, do they want the professor job? Seemingly they know everything already so I don't see why you guys need to stand up there and preach your liberal agenda teach them anything. Dodgy

Liberal agenda. Laugh out load How hard right do these dopes have to be to think that a course in criminal justice is by and for bleeding heart liberals?

Usually it isn't at least...heh. Though sometimes yes, and granted our department probably does skew liberal, but we try to present both sides equally. (Well, most of us anyhow. We have this hardcore super liberal adjunct who may not, dunno. She's really interesting, elderly woman and lifelong activist, and she showed me her FBI file today that she got through a FOIA request.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2017, 08:43 PM
I need peanut butter! Angry

I'm taking this class that treats us like elementary school students. The professor brings out magazines, glue, scissors and crayons so we can artistically "share" what we learned and how we felt about the chapter in the book. She has voiced her intent several times to rearrange the class into groups or in a big circle so we could "share" with each other face to face. -Because learning is sharing.

You want me to share what I'm thinking? This is a stupid fucking teaching method and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I could give a flying rat's ass about Lupe's Mexican heritage and how her background impacts her learning style. Shut the fuck up and write your fucking paper, bitch!

Okay, I'm getting the peanut butter out now. I'll feel better very soon.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
13-02-2017, 08:58 PM
(13-02-2017 08:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I need peanut butter! Angry

I'm taking this class that treats us like elementary school students. The professor brings out magazines, glue, scissors and crayons so we can artistically "share" what we learned and how we felt about the chapter in the book. She has voiced her intent several times to rearrange the class into groups or in a big circle so we could "share" with each other face to face. -Because learning is sharing.

Facepalm My sympathies!

It's a little different, but I live in a town with a lot of New Age woo people. I prefer it to Christianity right now, but it's still intense to have people--even random strangers--ask you about your star sign and the destiny they feel they are committed to.

I thought I'd be able to keep up with church as a nonbeliever since I love the people and community. It's getting tough, though! Yesterday, the priest gave a sermon that linked all these verses together that are so familiar to me. "You are the salt of the earth." "A light on a hill cannot be hid." "Go forth and make disciples of all nations." All of it to insist that man's natural state is to want God and to encourage us to go out and bring the lost sheep home.

The sheep metaphor especially struck me as absurd. I've heard it since I was a very young. Don't wander away from the fold into the dark where the wolves will get ya! But this time, I just passively imagined leaving the fold to find other sheep, in other places, with interesting ideas and customs. It's very peaceful.
[+] 1 user Likes port_of_call's post
13-02-2017, 09:01 PM
(13-02-2017 08:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I need peanut butter! Angry

You want me to share what I'm thinking? This is a stupid fucking teaching method and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I could give a flying rat's ass about Lupe's Mexican heritage and how her background impacts her learning style. Shut the fuck up and write your fucking paper, bitch!

Okay, I'm getting the peanut butter out now. I'll feel better very soon.

Actually it sounds like fun! Do you get to do that whole trust thing where I promise to catch you if you close your eye and fall backwards? That one's hilarious.

#sigh