Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
14-02-2017, 11:48 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(14-02-2017 11:04 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 10:48 AM)pablo Wrote:  If you're not sure if it should be a 911 call or not, always call 911 just to be safe, they can sort it out later.

Don't wait like that again, Dodgy I don't want to hear about something bad happening to you that could have been prevented/avoided. No

Yeah I know. I should have called when he was closer to our property, less area to run away. It was at first just strange.

I know the guy had to have seen me and didn't seem the least bit concerned with me at all. He appeared to looking for something. The flashlight looked rectangle and he had this red light close to his head. Don't know what the fuck that was.

Sounds like an X-file. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2017, 02:42 PM
(14-02-2017 02:01 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 01:59 AM)morondog Wrote:  Callez vous les cops

That's what my man said, but I'm not sure if this is a 911 thing...it doesn't seem like a huge emergency. I hate bothering n-911 for something trivial.

Police usually have a non emergency number in case you need to get a hold of them without there being an emergency.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-02-2017, 03:51 PM
(14-02-2017 02:42 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 02:01 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's what my man said, but I'm not sure if this is a 911 thing...it doesn't seem like a huge emergency. I hate bothering n-911 for something trivial.

Police usually have a non emergency number in case you need to get a hold of them without there being an emergency.

We have to call the county sheriff and non emergency calls go to voice mail.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-02-2017, 03:59 PM
(14-02-2017 03:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 02:42 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Police usually have a non emergency number in case you need to get a hold of them without there being an emergency.

We have to call the county sheriff and non emergency calls go to voice mail.

Well that's unfortunate.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-02-2017, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2017 05:10 PM by Shai Hulud.)
That's horrible moms. Sad

---

Just once I'd like to leave Faculty Senate and feel like things are positive. Just once. All three untenured members of the Faculty Senate left today (self included) discussing whether we thought we should go on the job market. Anyhow, rant below, didn't want to fill the page with my whining.

"hey we're getting like $42 million pumped into the system" yay! Way less than the $250 million cut from it two years ago! "But it's tied to performance metrics, and under the current state and federal metrics, your graduates have to have started as full time Freshmen to count. 52% of our students who graduated over the last six years-our biggest graduating classes ever- weren't full time Freshmen due to starting as part timers, or transferring in. So only 48% of our students will count towards our part of the money based on the current performance metrics."

"You all get a 2% raise!" Yay...less than my colleagues in PA get annually as a cost of living adjustment, but more than you've given me in 1.5 years here. "But there's no guarantee that goes through the legislature, it's just in the suggested government budget by the Governor. Also your workloads may increase. Also the Governor wants every university student in the state to do an internship." Uh yeah, I've got 3 department members, counting myself, and 450 students we'd have to oversee internships for, just between the three of us.

And we're on version 5 of the post-tenure review stuff; where system's latest demand of revision basically gives the Chancellor or their designee the unlimited power to override all previous decisions and fire you if they think you're not doing a good enough job, even if all the previous levels of review were positive. And there were new provisions about research, which is supposedly this campus's secondary priority and I'm tired of being lectured about; I teach 1 class in Summer, 1 class in the Winter Interim session, 4 classes in Fall, 3 in Spring, serve on multiple committees and the Faculty Senate, meet with students more often than not outside of my posted office hours, spend more than 60-70 hours per week on average fulfilling the other obligations this place has besides research, haven't not had to come in to campus since January 2nd, and yet still got published in one of the top 15 journals in my field last February and I have two things out for Revise and Resubmit...so a bit tired of hearing about how "research is secondary" and then "WHY AREN'T YOU ALL RESEARCHING MORE?!"

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Either USPS tracking is fucked up or my package has been sitting in Georgia for 5 days.

15-02-2017, 12:50 AM
(14-02-2017 05:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  That's horrible moms. Sad

---

Just once I'd like to leave Faculty Senate and feel like things are positive. Just once. All three untenured members of the Faculty Senate left today (self included) discussing whether we thought we should go on the job market. Anyhow, rant below, didn't want to fill the page with my whining.

"hey we're getting like $42 million pumped into the system" yay! Way less than the $250 million cut from it two years ago! "But it's tied to performance metrics, and under the current state and federal metrics, your graduates have to have started as full time Freshmen to count. 52% of our students who graduated over the last six years-our biggest graduating classes ever- weren't full time Freshmen due to starting as part timers, or transferring in. So only 48% of our students will count towards our part of the money based on the current performance metrics."

"You all get a 2% raise!" Yay...less than my colleagues in PA get annually as a cost of living adjustment, but more than you've given me in 1.5 years here. "But there's no guarantee that goes through the legislature, it's just in the suggested government budget by the Governor. Also your workloads may increase. Also the Governor wants every university student in the state to do an internship." Uh yeah, I've got 3 department members, counting myself, and 450 students we'd have to oversee internships for, just between the three of us.

And we're on version 5 of the post-tenure review stuff; where system's latest demand of revision basically gives the Chancellor or their designee the unlimited power to override all previous decisions and fire you if they think you're not doing a good enough job, even if all the previous levels of review were positive. And there were new provisions about research, which is supposedly this campus's secondary priority and I'm tired of being lectured about; I teach 1 class in Summer, 1 class in the Winter Interim session, 4 classes in Fall, 3 in Spring, serve on multiple committees and the Faculty Senate, meet with students more often than not outside of my posted office hours, spend more than 60-70 hours per week on average fulfilling the other obligations this place has besides research, haven't not had to come in to campus since January 2nd, and yet still got published in one of the top 15 journals in my field last February and I have two things out for Revise and Resubmit...so a bit tired of hearing about how "research is secondary" and then "WHY AREN'T YOU ALL RESEARCHING MORE?!"

Ouch Undecided

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-02-2017, 12:53 AM

---

Oh crap, whine away that's what it's here for.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-02-2017, 06:23 AM
(14-02-2017 11:04 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 10:48 AM)pablo Wrote:  If you're not sure if it should be a 911 call or not, always call 911 just to be safe, they can sort it out later.

Don't wait like that again, Dodgy I don't want to hear about something bad happening to you that could have been prevented/avoided. No

Yeah I know. I should have called when he was closer to our property, less area to run away. It was at first just strange.

I know the guy had to have seen me and didn't seem the least bit concerned with me at all. He appeared to looking for something. The flashlight looked rectangle and he had this red light close to his head. Don't know what the fuck that was.

One of the borg?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
15-02-2017, 10:07 AM
(15-02-2017 12:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  Ouch Undecided

Thanks. It's like any time the word "budget" is used, everyone feels their pulse quicken. Then when the Chancellor is like "We have good news and mixed news". There was no "bad news". Just "mixed", but the "mixed" just happened to be entirely bad.

(15-02-2017 12:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

---

Oh crap, whine away that's what it's here for.

Hug

Thanks Moms Hug This morning's sort of freaks me out moment comes courtesy of a colleague's student. We were talking when one of his German students from Race, Crime, Law came by to speak to him and she didn't move out of the door to let me leave them alone, so it was a three way conversation. She was shocked at the behavior of some of our more "conservative" students in the class, openly deriding data driven points my colleague brought up, and being so blatantly anti-intellectual on him, saying that would never happen to her professors in Germany. That the students mostly respect them as experts in their fields. Likewise, she's been in America for all of three weeks now and is rather frightened because she's drawing parallels politically between what's going on here now and what she learned in her history classes.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user