Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
15-02-2017, 10:19 AM
RE: Ranting corner
Prof, your job sounds like a nightmare at the moment that's an insane amount of hours to put in each week be careful you don't burn out my friend.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
15-02-2017, 10:24 AM
(15-02-2017 10:19 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Prof, your job sounds like a nightmare at the moment that's an insane amount of hours to put in each week be careful you don't burn out my friend.

Thanks Adey; actually tuned it back from last year. Where the stress pretty much kicked my body's ass. I was sick about six times, ended up diagnosed with a few things, etc. Last year I tended to get here by 6:30am and leave at 9:30pm almost every weekday and then put in 6-8 hours per weekend day. Posting to TTA and FB are mini-breaks as it were, for mental health as much as anything else. That and on Tuesdays do the movie thing for about 2 hours, then go to work. Edit: The coworker from my previous post? If you factor in his commute, he has a 17-18 hour day on Wednesdays this semester.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2017, 12:47 PM
(15-02-2017 10:07 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 12:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  Ouch Undecided

Thanks. It's like any time the word "budget" is used, everyone feels their pulse quicken. Then when the Chancellor is like "We have good news and mixed news". There was no "bad news". Just "mixed", but the "mixed" just happened to be entirely bad.

(15-02-2017 12:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh crap, whine away that's what it's here for.

Hug

Thanks Moms Hug This morning's sort of freaks me out moment comes courtesy of a colleague's student. We were talking when one of his German students from Race, Crime, Law came by to speak to him and she didn't move out of the door to let me leave them alone, so it was a three way conversation. She was shocked at the behavior of some of our more "conservative" students in the class, openly deriding data driven points my colleague brought up, and being so blatantly anti-intellectual on him, saying that would never happen to her professors in Germany. That the students mostly respect them as experts in their fields. Likewise, she's been in America for all of three weeks now and is rather frightened because she's drawing parallels politically between what's going on here now and what she learned in her history classes.

That's terrifying. We have a friend that teaches ethics at a law school, recently he's been challenged too without merit. He lamented that the law doesn't mean whatever you want it to mean, it's based on principles, precedent and ethics should be part of that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-02-2017, 07:31 PM
(15-02-2017 12:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 10:07 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks. It's like any time the word "budget" is used, everyone feels their pulse quicken. Then when the Chancellor is like "We have good news and mixed news". There was no "bad news". Just "mixed", but the "mixed" just happened to be entirely bad.

Thanks Moms Hug This morning's sort of freaks me out moment comes courtesy of a colleague's student. We were talking when one of his German students from Race, Crime, Law came by to speak to him and she didn't move out of the door to let me leave them alone, so it was a three way conversation. She was shocked at the behavior of some of our more "conservative" students in the class, openly deriding data driven points my colleague brought up, and being so blatantly anti-intellectual on him, saying that would never happen to her professors in Germany. That the students mostly respect them as experts in their fields. Likewise, she's been in America for all of three weeks now and is rather frightened because she's drawing parallels politically between what's going on here now and what she learned in her history classes.

That's terrifying. We have a friend that teaches ethics at a law school, recently he's been challenged too without merit. He lamented that the law doesn't mean whatever you want it to mean, it's based on principles, precedent and ethics should be part of that.

It was. It's one thing for people in the U.S. and such to draw Hitlerian comparisons, but it carries a whole other ring when its coming from a German standing a few feet from you. And the thing my colleague and I both didn't mention, when trying to make her feel a bit better, was that we're actually in one of the more liberal parts of the state (which voted Trump, but also seemingly experienced voter suppression, as my own multi-month odyssey to be registered to vote shows), so if she thinks behavior here is off, I can only imagine what it must be in the farmland that covers most of the state. Sad

That's awful for the friend you all have at the law school too. He's right, like objectively, and subjectively in my own opinion, that law is based on principles and precedent and isn't some willy nilly thing for a student to challenge the merit of on mere feelings or blind faith. And amen to ethics...our program actually doesn't require an ethics class for our criminal justice majors and colleague from before and I have made a pact, next time we do a department meeting related to the curriculum, to vote to make it required. Because ethics, as with lawyers (one would hope), also rather important for future law enforcement and correctional officers. Hope your all's friend stood his/her ground against that student.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
15-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Why is my face breaking out so bad?? Hobo

16-02-2017, 06:34 AM
Fucking PS4. I'm like, "lets go check out the PS4 store." Five minutes later 180 bucks gets disappeared from the budget and I'm like, "lets GTFO while I still have my clothes." Laugh out load

(15-02-2017 11:07 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Why is my face breaking out so bad?? Hobo

Anxiety. Smartass

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Fuck fuck fuck...

The fucking parking lot at the school is damn zoo. Kiddo got out late and I'm weaving around dodging cars that just think it's fine and dandy to stop anywhere while they sit and wait for their precious HIGH SCHOOLERS to get out.

So I'm trying to avoid kids, other cars and crap I think I hit someone (or they moved forward and we kinda hit each other, I'm not sure). My passenger rear door is a little dented (not very bad) and scratched.

I was out in the middle of everything so I couldn't exactly just stop at that moment. Then there was no place to stop because of everyone trying to exit at once...

Fuck my life, I'm a hit and run driver. Hobo

Hopefully I'll see them tomorrow and they won't scream at me for being a dip shit. Cause it's probably my fault that I hurt my poor Bryce. Sad

16-02-2017, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2017 06:21 PM by earmuffs.)
Moms the fugitive. You'll have to pack the Bryce and leave. Forget the kids, forget the husband you're living a life on the run now and that's no place for a bunch of children and a big man baby. Your life will now be one truck stop at a time as you hit the open road driving off from one coast to another, where ever Bryce takes you. You'll have to dye your hair and change your name. Change it to something fitting of a middle aged women who's given up everything in exchange for a life as a truck stop hooker giving $10 handjobs just to pay for a bit of gas for Bryce so you can make it to the next truck stop. Don't look back Moms, nothing in your rear view but pursuing cops and a life well lived but now nothing but a distant memory. You're not Moms any more, you're Bubbles. Bubbles the Truck Stop Hooker, infamous on route 66 as the 3rd best handjob in the business.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
16-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Annnnnnnd the sheriff called.

16-02-2017, 06:21 PM