Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
02-03-2017, 01:37 AM
RE: Ranting corner
Not really a rant but trolls starting to appear in Personal Issues and Support Section. They're evolving.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
02-03-2017, 06:45 AM
(01-03-2017 04:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 06:14 PM)adey67 Wrote:  My guess is that its Americas bloated military that takes all their tax dollars

That's a big part of it, but there is also a prevalent attitude in America that you're entitled to what you can pay for, and nothing more. The implication of this is that poor people aren't entitled to anything at all, and as callous as that sounds, that's exactly how many well-off people in America think (I know some of them). As applied to healthcare, it shifts to young healthy people who don't feel they need healthcare being resentful that their tax dollars are paying for healthcare for those who do need it.

The current manifestation of this is Trump proposing that we pour billions of dollars into military spending (already the largest item in the budget, if you don't count the interest on the national debt), and paying for it by emasculating social programs, each of which is only a small portion of the budget. And a large percentage of the American public seems OK with that! They don't seem to mind pouring most of their taxes into the military (by the way, military hardware is obscenely overpriced -- I know this because I used to work for a defense contractor), but they really resent a few pennies going to feed someone who would starve otherwise.

'Murica!

No, the resentment is from being told that once you make more than $11,000 and change per year, you are above the poverty line and therefore don't need any help at all. I make a lot more than that and it is not enough to survive. Yet, my tax dollars are still taken from me to pay for the poor (people that don't even try). That is where the anger comes from.
02-03-2017, 07:09 AM
(02-03-2017 06:45 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  No, the resentment is from being told that once you make more than $11,000 and change per year, you are above the poverty line and therefore don't need any help at all. I make a lot more than that and it is not enough to survive.

And yet you have no sympathy for those who make less. In fact:
Quote:my tax dollars are still taken from me to pay for the poor (people that don't even try)
Because they choose to be poor, don't they? Just like you chose your own life situation. Let's face it you could be making more money and not whining, but hey, you're too lazy to do that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
02-03-2017, 07:14 AM
(02-03-2017 07:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 06:45 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  No, the resentment is from being told that once you make more than $11,000 and change per year, you are above the poverty line and therefore don't need any help at all. I make a lot more than that and it is not enough to survive.

And yet you have no sympathy for those who make less. In fact:
Quote:my tax dollars are still taken from me to pay for the poor (people that don't even try)
Because they choose to be poor, don't they? Just like you chose your own life situation. Let's face it you could be making more money and not whining, but hey, you're too lazy to do that.

I have sympathy for those that make less than I do. What I don't have any sympathy for is the ones that have never worked for their money. Most stores try to at least let you make just above the poverty level. It is the ones that have said "screw it, minimum wage would be worse than just not ever working". I resent and despise those people.
02-03-2017, 07:45 AM
(02-03-2017 07:14 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I resent and despise those people.

You've made it pretty clear that you resent and despise everyone apart from some narrowly defined bunch of people you think are worthy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-03-2017, 09:41 AM
(02-03-2017 06:45 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 04:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  That's a big part of it, but there is also a prevalent attitude in America that you're entitled to what you can pay for, and nothing more. The implication of this is that poor people aren't entitled to anything at all, and as callous as that sounds, that's exactly how many well-off people in America think (I know some of them). As applied to healthcare, it shifts to young healthy people who don't feel they need healthcare being resentful that their tax dollars are paying for healthcare for those who do need it.

The current manifestation of this is Trump proposing that we pour billions of dollars into military spending (already the largest item in the budget, if you don't count the interest on the national debt), and paying for it by emasculating social programs, each of which is only a small portion of the budget. And a large percentage of the American public seems OK with that! They don't seem to mind pouring most of their taxes into the military (by the way, military hardware is obscenely overpriced -- I know this because I used to work for a defense contractor), but they really resent a few pennies going to feed someone who would starve otherwise.

'Murica!

No, the resentment is from being told that once you make more than $11,000 and change per year, you are above the poverty line and therefore don't need any help at all. I make a lot more than that and it is not enough to survive. Yet, my tax dollars are still taken from me to pay for the poor (people that don't even try). That is where the anger comes from.

You seem to resent anyone and everyone who has anything that you don't have. So you don't count. I was mainly talking about rich people who are perfectly OK with spending 10 times more for military hardware than it is worth, but resent spending a dime to feed a starving person (or pay for such person's healthcare). I guess big shiny guns and airplanes are more important than people. None of that has anything to do with you, though. We could solve all of your problems, and you would still be angry because there's nothing to be angry about. Poor you.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-03-2017, 10:07 AM
(02-03-2017 09:41 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 06:45 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  No, the resentment is from being told that once you make more than $11,000 and change per year, you are above the poverty line and therefore don't need any help at all. I make a lot more than that and it is not enough to survive. Yet, my tax dollars are still taken from me to pay for the poor (people that don't even try). That is where the anger comes from.

You seem to resent anyone and everyone who has anything that you don't have. So you don't count. I was mainly talking about rich people who are perfectly OK with spending 10 times more for military hardware than it is worth, but resent spending a dime to feed a starving person (or pay for such person's healthcare). I guess big shiny guns and airplanes are more important than people. None of that has anything to do with you, though. We could solve all of your problems, and you would still be angry because there's nothing to be angry about. Poor you.

Oh yes, because I am unreasonable. It costs about $1200 on average to even rent a fucking apartment, without paying for utilities. Yet, you can make less around $1000 per month and not be considered poor. I make a little over $1200 per month. I can't afford to survive, yet I am not considered worthy of any help. Instead they tax the shit out of the little I get. Yes, I am angry at the ones that just sit there and refuse to even try.
02-03-2017, 10:21 AM
(02-03-2017 10:07 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 09:41 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You seem to resent anyone and everyone who has anything that you don't have. So you don't count. I was mainly talking about rich people who are perfectly OK with spending 10 times more for military hardware than it is worth, but resent spending a dime to feed a starving person (or pay for such person's healthcare). I guess big shiny guns and airplanes are more important than people. None of that has anything to do with you, though. We could solve all of your problems, and you would still be angry because there's nothing to be angry about. Poor you.

Oh yes, because I am unreasonable. It costs about $1200 on average to even rent a fucking apartment, without paying for utilities. Yet, you can make less around $1000 per month and not be considered poor. I make a little over $1200 per month. I can't afford to survive, yet I am not considered worthy of any help. Instead they tax the shit out of the little I get. Yes, I am angry at the ones that just sit there and refuse to even try.

Go ahead and be as angry as you like. But it has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
02-03-2017, 10:59 AM
To be honest birdguy the issue here sounds like the need for much better tax breaks for low earners and a better living wage for everyone. Grasshopper is simply pointing out that your government seems to have its spending priorities all wrong. It sounds like you would actually benefit from what he is suggesting. Don't get pissed at those poorer than you get pissed at the government and the uber wealthy, wanting more tax breaks and higher military spending, your anger is misdirected not everyone without a job is lazy especially not in the USA where the welfare system is scanty at best.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
02-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Okay, so, the city sends me this notice saying I gotta move my boat onto the concrete of my driveway cuz it's against city ordinance to park it on the grass, and if I don't I'll get fined. I've parked it there for years. So I thought I'd drive around town taking pictures of other people's shit on their grass, to show the city just how un-fine-worthy I am compared to all these other law abiding citizens.

City lady, that came over after I moved it to the side of my garage, said all she needed to be satisfied is to see a singular rock on the ground to say "yuuup! there's gravel, here". There was a few rocks on the ground, so she said it was fine. She was nice.

But then, before she left, she told me they had fined this old guy for not moving his RV out of the way of a Stop sign, and HE went around taking pictures of other people's shit, (including my boat) and turning them into the city. Said, "you know some people; they just gotta take everyone down with them when they get in trouble". I thought Blink Bitch! It wasn't like that! Angry But I didn't say anything since she was letting me off. Blush

Still. Her opinion stung. Dodgy
I'll live, tho. No fine! Shy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post