blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2017, 11:45 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(03-03-2017 08:14 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:48 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I make $12 before taxes. It goes to show you. People tell me that I make so little that I pay little to no tax and get it all or most of it back. I get taxed almost half apparently, and I even owe at the end of the year. All the shit that thinks they are scamming the system are killing me.

You are telling me that you get hit for a nearly 42% tax rate? I get hit for about half that rate. Texas has no state income tax withholding so that helps but I find it hard to believe that you are getting hit for taxes that high. Even in SC where there is a state income tax I wasn't having 42% of income withheld.

I think you are full of shit.

It just so happens that I got paid today. I don't even know what my hourly pay would be (I get a salary), but I did some quick calculations from my check. I don't want to say what I make, but it equates to significantly more than $12 per hour (so my federal tax rate, at least, should be higher than his). My total deductions (federal and state taxes, social security, medicare, medical and dental insurance, and 401K) are about 34% of the gross. I'm single with no dependents, so I don't get any special tax breaks, and these numbers are slightly high, because I always get money back when I "do my taxes". Unless New Jersey's state income tax is astronomically higher than Wisconsin's, there's no way he's losing 42% of his pay to taxes. I also call "full of shit".
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
(03-03-2017 11:45 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It just so happens that I got paid today. I don't even know what my hourly pay would be (I get a salary), but I did some quick calculations from my check. I don't want to say what I make, but it equates to significantly more than $12 per hour (so my federal tax rate, at least, should be higher than his). My total deductions (federal and state taxes, social security, medicare, medical and dental insurance, and 401K) are about 34% of the gross. I'm single with no dependents, so I don't get any special tax breaks, and these numbers are slightly high, because I always get money back when I "do my taxes". Unless New Jersey's state income tax is astronomically higher than Wisconsin's, there's no way he's losing 42% of his pay to taxes. I also call "full of shit".

I haven't been following this very closely - I've been AFK for just over a week - but the 42% figure may not be an exaggeration.

The taxes you mention, Grasshopper, are just the ones that come off your paycheque. There are also sales taxes on everything from gas to garbanzo beans, municipal property taxes, taxes on investment income, taxes on utilities, etc etc etc.

Here in Canada we have a thing called Tax Freedom Day, a day marked (and created) by the Fraser Institute, a right-wing think-tank. They describe it like this:
Quote:This year (2016) Tax Freedom Day falls on June 7. Tax Freedom Day measures the total yearly tax burden imposed on Canadian families by all levels of government: If you had to pay all your taxes up front, you’d give government every dollar you earned before June 7. This year, the average Canadian family (with two or more people) will pay $45,167 in total taxes or 42.9 per cent of its annual income.

So it's possible that the 42% figure being bandied about isn't as ludicrous at it may appear.
03-03-2017, 12:15 PM
(03-03-2017 12:08 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 11:45 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It just so happens that I got paid today. I don't even know what my hourly pay would be (I get a salary), but I did some quick calculations from my check. I don't want to say what I make, but it equates to significantly more than $12 per hour (so my federal tax rate, at least, should be higher than his). My total deductions (federal and state taxes, social security, medicare, medical and dental insurance, and 401K) are about 34% of the gross. I'm single with no dependents, so I don't get any special tax breaks, and these numbers are slightly high, because I always get money back when I "do my taxes". Unless New Jersey's state income tax is astronomically higher than Wisconsin's, there's no way he's losing 42% of his pay to taxes. I also call "full of shit".

I haven't been following this very closely - I've been AFK for just over a week - but the 42% figure may not be an exaggeration.

The taxes you mention, Grasshopper, are just the ones that come off your paycheque. There are also sales taxes on everything from gas to garbanzo beans, municipal property taxes, taxes on investment income, taxes on utilities, etc etc etc.

Here in Canada we have a thing called Tax Freedom Day, a day marked (and created) by the Fraser Institute, a right-wing think-tank. They describe it like this:
Quote:This year (2016) Tax Freedom Day falls on June 7. Tax Freedom Day measures the total yearly tax burden imposed on Canadian families by all levels of government: If you had to pay all your taxes up front, you’d give government every dollar you earned before June 7. This year, the average Canadian family (with two or more people) will pay $45,167 in total taxes or 42.9 per cent of its annual income.

So it's possible that the 42% figure being bandied about isn't as ludicrous at it may appear.

Except he did not say that, Birdbrain specifically said he was losing 42% of his paycheck to taxes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
03-03-2017, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 12:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-03-2017 03:22 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 02:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Sounds like you're just jealous. If you had any brains you could get free healthcare, free rent, free heat, free smart phone, free food, and free cash to spend instead of selling vans out of a van down by the river. That's what I'd do. If you think the system's gaming you, game the system.

I don't want to live my life reliant on the taxpayers. I want to at least achieve middle class status. Upper middle class, by working hard. I get penalized for my efforts though.

Gaming the system is not as easy as you think. It requires a great deal of effort. You'll be working hard enough. Step 1, if you really are close to the poverty line, a little creative bookkeeping would allow you to get all that free stuff and still keep your job! Gasp But see, you'll have to some work on that.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-03-2017, 12:24 PM
(03-03-2017 12:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 12:08 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I haven't been following this very closely - I've been AFK for just over a week - but the 42% figure may not be an exaggeration.

Except he did not say that, Birdbrain specifically said he was losing 42% of his paycheck to taxes.

You are correct in that my wife's income does play a part in it. My point is that it just is not the case that I pay close to nothing or that I get most of it back. My wife only makes about what I make. If it were true that we pay close to nothing, we would only owe a few hundred dollars or maybe $1000, instead we owe in the thousands. I am sick of the idiots that say I don't pay much. I could use the money to pay normal bills.
03-03-2017, 12:30 PM
(03-03-2017 12:08 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  

Well, see, that's where we have an advantage over you Canadians. For most things (for some reason, hotels are an exception), there is only one sales tax, and that is imposed by the state. In my part of Wisconsin, it's 5.5%. From my one excursion into Canada, I seem to remember things being a bit more complicated there.

Plus, as Rev mentions, Birdguy was specifically talking about deductions from his paycheck.
03-03-2017, 12:32 PM
(03-03-2017 08:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ... I don't have personal transport beyond a bicycle.

I don't even have a bicycle. I have people for that. :snooty:

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-03-2017, 12:39 PM
(03-03-2017 12:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except he did not say that, Birdbrain specifically said he was losing 42% of his paycheck to taxes.

(03-03-2017 12:30 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Plus, as Rev mentions, Birdguy was specifically talking about deductions from his paycheck.

Fair enough. Like I mentioned, I came to the conversation a bit late as I've been away for a while.
03-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Like I keep saying and which doesn't seem to be hitting home is that although there will be a small number of lazy scroungers in any community world wide proportional to the generosity of public assistance in any given country, getting pissed at the poor and disenfranchised is pointless and wrong its not the majority of those people who cause the problem Birdguy your anger is misdirected ffs
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post