Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
31-03-2017, 09:47 AM
RE: Ranting corner
Drat, okay!

In Criminology this morning, we started conflict theories of crime. This is the class with the right wing guys who are very nationalistic and act like I stabbed their mothers any time I make a cop joke, so went in with a lot of anxiety. Made a lot of jokes about "now this was the boogeyman of my parents' generation" and showed a couple clips from 8 bit philosophy and such. Was astounded to not have any issues, and then I got to immigrant discrimination...'you hate cops' guy starts preaching about how it isn't right "those Mexicans bring pregnant women over here and make us take care of their babies! How is that fair? It's a fact they do it!" Facepalm

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
31-03-2017, 10:05 AM
(31-03-2017 09:47 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Drat, okay!

In Criminology this morning, we started conflict theories of crime. This is the class with the right wing guys who are very nationalistic and act like I stabbed their mothers any time I make a cop joke, so went in with a lot of anxiety. Made a lot of jokes about "now this was the boogeyman of my parents' generation" and showed a couple clips from 8 bit philosophy and such. Was astounded to not have any issues, and then I got to immigrant discrimination...'you hate cops' guy starts preaching about how it isn't right "those Mexicans bring pregnant women over here and make us take care of their babies! How is that fair? It's a fact they do it!" Facepalm

Dude's just jelly 'cause he knows they're smarter than he is. My retort would be, "Well duh, they'd be stupid not to."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-03-2017, 10:08 AM

A classroom where the students tell the lecturer what's acceptable to teach? I see you are in need of re-education, comrade.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-03-2017, 10:32 AM

That just grinds my gears. That just sucks. I think what bothers me the most about these few sentences is how they justify prejudice by blaming you (you have an agenda and hate cops) and a group of people in this case Mexicans. When I was in college, what could now be called "the enlightened period" if you told or treated a professor like that you could be dismissed from class, given a zero and you wouldn't be allowed to drop the class even if that were an option.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-03-2017, 10:42 AM
(31-03-2017 10:32 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When I was in college, what could now be called "the enlightened period" if you told or treated a professor like that you could be dismissed from class, given a zero and you wouldn't be allowed to drop the class even if that were an option.

Back in the 80's I can't recall ever seeing behavior like that at university even in the most controversial classes (the most controversial back then tended to be in African-American Studies). We'd all argue our way through the classes because the point of the exercise was to identify legitimate alternative points of view but I don't recall it ever being contentious because everyone knew what we were there for. Granted other than LGBT rights and the reaction to Milk's assassination, social activism in the 80's was kind of tepid compared to the 60's and 70's.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-03-2017, 10:54 AM
(31-03-2017 10:42 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 10:32 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When I was in college, what could now be called "the enlightened period" if you told or treated a professor like that you could be dismissed from class, given a zero and you wouldn't be allowed to drop the class even if that were an option.

Back in the 80's I can't recall ever seeing behavior like that at university even in the most controversial classes (the most controversial back then tended to be in African-American Studies). We'd all argue our way through the classes because the point of the exercise was to identify legitimate alternative points of view but I don't recall it ever being contentious because everyone knew what we were there for. Granted other than LGBT rights and the reaction to Milk's assassination, social activism in the 80's was kind of tepid compared to the 60's and 70's.

It's fucking ridiculous is what it is like you I never saw behaviour like that principally because there was proper discipline and consequences then. Rightwing cop wannabes probably think Lord Trump will.protect them or are just honing their bully skills for police academy and afterwards.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
31-03-2017, 10:57 AM
(31-03-2017 10:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 10:42 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Back in the 80's I can't recall ever seeing behavior like that at university even in the most controversial classes (the most controversial back then tended to be in African-American Studies). We'd all argue our way through the classes because the point of the exercise was to identify legitimate alternative points of view but I don't recall it ever being contentious because everyone knew what we were there for. Granted other than LGBT rights and the reaction to Milk's assassination, social activism in the 80's was kind of tepid compared to the 60's and 70's.

It's fucking ridiculous is what it is like you I never saw behaviour like that principally because there was proper discipline and consequences then. Rightwing cop wannabes probably think Lord Trump will.protect them or are just honing their bully skills for police academy and afterwards.

I'm sure there must've been a student code of conduct outlining explicit consequences for bad behavior but nobody I knew ever had a need to even read it. Looking back on it, I think compared to the 60's and 70's radicals we were a bunch of pussies. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Sadly it's not just my class comrades. It's a bit of an epidemic; I yearn for the days Girly and Moms are describing. When I was a student it was similar, we assumed the people who spent 12 years of their life dedicated to learning this, who continue to keep up with the research, know stuff. But this current batch...one colleague had someone stand up in class (this guy actually) and accuse him of liberal indoctrination of the class for discussing the concept of white privilege. The climate change class prof was remarking a few weeks ago how students will outright dismiss everything she teaches as incorrect because it doesn't line up with their views, etc. Things are so defanged at this institution that I can catch a student cheating and then will probably end up having to justify before an Academic Appeals Committee as to why I kicked them out, and provide better evidence than "Prof said/student said".

Edit: Also on what Adey said, I've had a student tell me before that the officers she knows in the local PD claim they need to "de-liberalize" new recruits who go through our program. This is NOT a sentiment shared by the Chief when he and I spoke earlier this semester when he came in to guest speak in two sections of 101.

Need to think of a witty signature.
31-03-2017, 11:14 AM
(31-03-2017 11:05 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sadly it's not just my class comrades. It's a bit of an epidemic; I yearn for the days Girly and Moms are describing. When I was a student it was similar, we assumed the people who spent 12 years of their life dedicated to learning this, who continue to keep up with the research, know stuff. But this current batch...one colleague had someone stand up in class (this guy actually) and accuse him of liberal indoctrination of the class for discussing the concept of white privilege. The climate change class prof was remarking a few weeks ago how students will outright dismiss everything she teaches as incorrect because it doesn't line up with their views, etc. Things are so defanged at this institution that I can catch a student cheating and then will probably end up having to justify before an Academic Appeals Committee as to why I kicked them out, and provide better evidence than "Prof said/student said".

Edit: Also on what Adey said, I've had a student tell me before that the officers she knows in the local PD claim they need to "de-liberalize" new recruits who go through our program. This is NOT a sentiment shared by the Chief when he and I spoke earlier this semester when he came in to guest speak in two sections of 101.

Oh, my friend, I really feel your pain! At least all the primitive thinking I'm subjected to is usually in written form (much easier to take).

Let's hope (you're allowed to pray as well Tongue ) that this is just the dust settling now that *everyone* has an almost unlimited access to nearly all the information and knowledge we possess. After all, it's a change of colossal proportions, maybe we just need a bit of time to adjust to it.

[Image: C1mmVINUkAApvUB.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 7 users Like Vera's post
31-03-2017, 11:18 AM
(31-03-2017 10:42 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I know, I'm looking back to my college days (I was there in the late 80s), and I can only think of one student who behaved that poorly. It was in a sociology class and while he did make it interesting at least in the beginning, it became exhausting just to sit there and listen to it. One day the professor said you're out. I can't recall exactly what else he said, but he summed up nicely the person's real reason for taking the class and it wasn't to learn.

And of course there was discourse, not all ideas are valid, but that was rather the point of the class to discuss differences in values and social contracts. We spent weeks in discussion on Harvey Milk, because he was the first openly gay city councilman in SF, which had a decent gay population. But he didn't just represent them, but everyone in his district. Even people who were what I would call homophobic, kept their discussions civil.

Actually his life and death came up often in various classes. In a few of the legal classes Dan White's defense was a heated discussion, and also in psychology...

That could be because for many of us it was a local topic.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post