Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
31-03-2017, 11:24 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(31-03-2017 09:47 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Drat, okay!

In Criminology this morning, we started conflict theories of crime. This is the class with the right wing guys who are very nationalistic and act like I stabbed their mothers any time I make a cop joke, so went in with a lot of anxiety. Made a lot of jokes about "now this was the boogeyman of my parents' generation" and showed a couple clips from 8 bit philosophy and such. Was astounded to not have any issues, and then I got to immigrant discrimination...'you hate cops' guy starts preaching about how it isn't right "those Mexicans bring pregnant women over here and make us take care of their babies! How is that fair? It's a fact they do it!" Facepalm

Can't you just drag them out and flog them?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
31-03-2017, 11:31 AM
(31-03-2017 11:14 AM)Vera Wrote:  Oh, my friend, I really feel your pain! At least all the primitive thinking I'm subjected to is usually in written form (much easier to take).

Let's hope (you're allowed to pray as well Tongue ) that this is just the dust settling now that *everyone* has an almost unlimited access to nearly all the information and knowledge we possess. After all, it's a change of colossal proportions, maybe we just need a bit of time to adjust to it.

[Image: C1mmVINUkAApvUB.jpg]

I'm so sorry you're still subjected to it in written form. Sad (Locally there are "We Back the Badge" signs everywhere, so somewhat written form, but definitely not to the level of "got to translate this entire book, when will this end" written form.)

We can truly hope that's the case; that knowledge and its vast availability in recent decades with the expansion of the internet into the public's access abilities, will help things out. It's not so much that there's a desire on my (or colleagues') parts to indoctrinate people; indoctrination is rather evil. Just being able to have a discussion about real issues faced by real people would be marvelous. When this guy threw his inevitable hissy fit, part of what we'd discussed on immigration and law enforcement was something it never would have occurred to me, someone could make an argument out of. It turns out a lot of folks who are undocumented have already filled out, or have been encouraged to fill out, forms that allow for a change of guardianship for their child to be put into effect if they are detained by ICE or deportation/removal hearings are begun. This is due to the child otherwise almost always ending up in the foster care system after the parent is detained, due to the legal status. These guardianship forms need to list a US citizen or green card holder, how to contact them, etc. Also, a HIPAA waiver needs filled out, because otherwise that new guardian can't make any medical decisions for the child. A discussion on that is what caused this guy's "anchor baby" meltdown! For the life of me, I genuinely don't understand the lack of compassion that sees kids maybe being forced into foster care while their parent is thrown out of the nation and decides it's the perfect time to rant about immigrants.

That cartoon is perfect! Printing it off to hang (inside the office). And thanks for allowing for prayer on my part! Smile

Edit: Somehow flogging sounds a tad...brutal and career ending as well?

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
31-03-2017, 11:40 AM
(31-03-2017 11:05 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sadly it's not just my class comrades. It's a bit of an epidemic; I yearn for the days Girly and Moms are describing. When I was a student it was similar, we assumed the people who spent 12 years of their life dedicated to learning this, who continue to keep up with the research, know stuff. But this current batch...one colleague had someone stand up in class (this guy actually) and accuse him of liberal indoctrination of the class for discussing the concept of white privilege. The climate change class prof was remarking a few weeks ago how students will outright dismiss everything she teaches as incorrect because it doesn't line up with their views, etc. Things are so defanged at this institution that I can catch a student cheating and then will probably end up having to justify before an Academic Appeals Committee as to why I kicked them out, and provide better evidence than "Prof said/student said".

Edit: Also on what Adey said, I've had a student tell me before that the officers she knows in the local PD claim they need to "de-liberalize" new recruits who go through our program. This is NOT a sentiment shared by the Chief when he and I spoke earlier this semester when he came in to guest speak in two sections of 101.

What happens when educators aren't allowed to educate? What happens when students walk in instantly thinking they're smarter than their teacher? This is what they are being told too in certain media outlets.

I once took a psych class that dealt heavily with "group think" the professor had a wealth of information (he had a library of old text books) to draw on. He then, was concerned about parenting at that time -- watching trends in society at that time, and I can remember scoffing a bit at him.

He pointed out that all this had happened before somewhere -- then he pointed to the old text books and what used to be taught. I do recall that his mantra was we don't respect the past. The idea that even the worst ideas don't spring out of no where -- they come from people, and predicted that all stuff going down today would happen although he was off in his timeline -- maybe...hmmm

I wonder if he's still alive, I should probably write and apologize to him.

I guess Shai, perhaps one day a former student will be sitting at their laptop and reflecting on what they were taught in your class years from now, and feel bad that they didn't listen or pay closer attention.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-03-2017, 11:55 AM
(31-03-2017 10:42 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 10:32 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When I was in college, what could now be called "the enlightened period" if you told or treated a professor like that you could be dismissed from class, given a zero and you wouldn't be allowed to drop the class even if that were an option.

Back in the 80's I can't recall ever seeing behavior like that at university even in the most controversial classes (the most controversial back then tended to be in African-American Studies). We'd all argue our way through the classes because the point of the exercise was to identify legitimate alternative points of view but I don't recall it ever being contentious because everyone knew what we were there for. Granted other than LGBT rights and the reaction to Milk's assassination, social activism in the 80's was kind of tepid compared to the 60's and 70's.
I remember (early 80s) one fundie in an Old Testament (as literature) class consistently getting up and stopping the learning while he argued with the prof. The prof was able to rebut him easily, and the reaction of the rest of the students was to roll our eyes at the kid and wish he would stop wasting everybody's time. But that class stands out to me because it was not the norm for students to reject the teacher's expertise.

It was also around the 70s and 80s that fundies started spreading approving stories of students who'd stood up in biology class and refused to learn anything about evolution. Refusal to learn rebranded as virtuous and principled.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
31-03-2017, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 03:19 PM by Vera.)
(31-03-2017 11:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  We can truly hope that's the case; that knowledge and its vast availability in recent decades with the expansion of the internet into the public's access abilities, will help things out.

Actually, I meant it more in the way that now that we have an unlimited access to information (and misinformation) a lot of (the less intelligent among) us are convinced their opinions and limited knowledge are as valid as those of them fuckin' expert, fuck them and their years of training and research, who are they to tell me I know squat Dodgy

Quote:It's not so much that there's a desire on my (or colleagues') parts to indoctrinate people; indoctrination is rather evil. Just being able to have a discussion about real issues faced by real people would be marvelous.

It never crossed my mind you (or your colleagues) were trying to indoctrinate anyone! It's hilarious (in a deeply sad way) how the ones who cry "snowflake" the loudest are the ones who cannot tolerate any difference of opinions and accuse others of their own glaringly obvious faults!

Quote:When this guy threw his inevitable hissy fit, part of what we'd discussed on immigration and law enforcement was something it never would have occurred to me, someone could make an argument out of. It turns out a lot of folks who are undocumented have already filled out, or have been encouraged to fill out, forms that allow for a change of guardianship for their child to be put into effect if they are detained by ICE or deportation/removal hearings are begun. This is due to the child otherwise almost always ending up in the foster care system after the parent is detained, due to the legal status. These guardianship forms need to list a US citizen or green card holder, how to contact them, etc. Also, a HIPAA waiver needs filled out, because otherwise that new guardian can't make any medical decisions for the child. A discussion on that is what caused this guy's "anchor baby" meltdown! For the life of me, I genuinely don't understand the lack of compassion that sees kids maybe being forced into foster care while their parent is thrown out of the nation and decides it's the perfect time to rant about immigrants.

That was very interesting about the children. Had no idea. But I also feel your pain doubly, because just this weekend I was subjected to an eye-opening conversation with several really wealthy (and I mean stinking rich), well-educated (doctors, two of them!) people whose lack of compassion for their fellow humans left such a bad taste in my mouth, not even the farofa and other delicious Brazilian food has been able to help with Wink Seriously though, even at my (not so young anymore) age, I'm still stunned at just how uncaring and downright cruel people can be, and, above all, the degree of entitlement among rich people. Not only did I have to hear about the "not normal" homosexuals, but a barrage of "poor people are only poor because they don't want to work", "homeless people want to be homeless", "in the favela (ghetto) remain only those who want to remain"... I'm not saying you should spend your life feeling guilty because you had the good fortune to be born in a rich (or even a middle-class) family, but at least be honest enough with yourself to admit that you had a huge head start compared to a huge part of the world and that it's not as simple "if you work real hard, you're gonna make it".

God, there's not enough space here (nor do I have the time) to rant as long and as furiously as I want on this particular subject, so I'll shut up, but yeah, it's hard not to despair sometimes.

(And then there's the whole "suffering makes as grow as people" and when I ask how exactly is suffering helping a three-year old with cancer, I receive the answer "well, maybe his parents..." Fuck this shit and karma bitch it rode in on Censored

Man's blind indifference to his fellow man can be staggering Sad

Quote:Somehow flogging sounds a tad...brutal and career ending as well?

I thought your church didn't mind a bit of flagellation. Just say you're lending a helping hand with the self version of it Tongue

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
31-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Flagellation....... Mmmmm yum yum.
31-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Godfukingdamnit, I was just flicking through my rep points when I came across Nishi's. Angry boy I sure do miss that guy, he was really somethingSadcryface
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
31-03-2017, 12:48 PM
(31-03-2017 12:32 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Godfukingdamnit, I was just flicking through my rep points when I came across Nishi's. Angry boy I sure do miss that guy, he was really somethingSadcryface

Yeah... Sad

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
31-03-2017, 12:58 PM
(31-03-2017 11:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 11:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  We can truly hope that's the case; that knowledge and its vast availability in recent decades with the expansion of the internet into the public's access abilities, will help things out.

Actually, I meant it more in the way that now that we have an unlimited access to information (and misinformation) a lot of (the less intelligent among) us are convinced their opinions and limited knowledge are as valid as those of them fuckin' expert, fuck them and their years of training and research, who are they to tell me I know squat Dodgy

We had a member here not too long ago (Heywood Jahblome) who seemed to honestly believe that he could become an expert on anything by spending 5 minutes on the internet. Quantum physics? Lebesgue integration? No problem -- I'll just go read a Wikipedia article, and I'll know as much as anyone with a Ph.D. in Physics or Mathematics. It's hard to believe that anyone could really think like this, but he seemed to. He also claimed that reading a brief summary of the plot of a novel was a valid substitute for reading the novel itself. Ah, the internet age...
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
31-03-2017, 01:05 PM
(31-03-2017 11:55 AM)julep Wrote:  ---
It was also around the 70s and 80s that fundies started spreading approving stories of students who'd stood up in biology class and refused to learn anything about evolution. Refusal to learn rebranded as virtuous and principled.

I had one of those! Consider I think it was a first year biology class. It was strange to me because I'd not encountered this blatant arrogance before. At first I thought the kid just hadn't read the first assigned bit of text - he didn't appear to have his text open or even have one. So, I offered to share with him and the professor smiled. I seriously didn't know what was going on. Then, I realized he just seemed to be there to argue with the professor! What the fuck?

The professor finally said something like, How life began has nothing to do with this class. This class is only concerned with what happened to life after it began. He repeated that a couple of times. I was relieved but this kid didn't seem to be satisfied. I wasn't even sure if I was supposed to be annoyed - he was just an idiot.

That kid didn't turn up at the next class session and I asked the professor about him. He said the kid opted out of the class but that I did a decent job trying to explain the basics to him. I said I was sorry. The professor said not to be - that kid wasn't here to learn.

I really liked that professor but at the end of the semester, he got meningitis. I didn't get to see him for the final or indeed, ever again. I never forgot that incident. I wonder if that kid is still as stupid as he was trying to be. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post