Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
14-04-2017, 03:09 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Fucking heathens...

No one told me it was good fucking Friday. I swear I would have NEVER posted Monty Python on my Facebook wall if I had realized it.

Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2017, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 03:37 PM by Vera.)
We got you momsby, mum's the word, we totally believe you didn't do it on purpose (last Easter someone was bitching on freaking Python's facebook for posting Always Look on the Bright Side of Life clip. Needless to say, people tore them a new one (or a hundred) in no time. Idjots!

ShaiHulud, lunch was okay, food was kinda bland (or maybe I was expecting way too much) and so was the conversation and this *is* the main problem, to be fair. I'm surrounded by major meh with one notable exception, but me and the notable exception are no longer working together every day, which sucks (the rest of the people at that previous place I also miss a lot). Sadcryface

Though I finally did try that Chilean/Peruvian cocktail, pisco sour, which, apparently, is made with an egg white Gasp Was actually nice. Nowhere near enough though (and I had two!)

Ha, about the kissing and hugging part. I actually quite like it. My uruguayan landlady told me how once, in Australia, when meeting someone for the first time, she went to give them a kiss (on the cheek) and they moved away. I still think it the height of rudeness. I don't give a fuck if you don't normally do it. If someone's already trying to give you a friendly (not romantic or sexual at all!) kiss, you can grin and bear it, you tactless jerk, instead of humiliating a guest in your fucking country. Seriously, some people!

As for the scientists beauty brains cover a multitude of sins. Don't need to be *that* hot really Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
14-04-2017, 03:42 PM
(14-04-2017 03:32 PM)Vera Wrote:  We got you momsby, mum's the word, we totally believe you didn't do it on purpose (last Easter someone was bitching on freaking Python's facebook for posting Always Look on the Bright Side of Life clip. Needless to say, people tore them a new one (or a hundred) in no time. Idjots!

Honestly, our house is a mess. Trying to find places for some of my mother in law's things that we want or must keep, and finding new homes for the stuff that used to go in that place.

My mother in law had a million Mickey Mouse figurines. Disneyland doesn't even make them anymore -- they're adorable. So I gathered up all the Disney stuff we have all over, and put it all in one place...

The problem is that place was full of springtime/easter stuff (bunnies, ceramic eggs shit like that)...So I took all that crap down and put it all away. Figure out what to do with it all next year type of thing...

So I'm not really thinking about Easter....Honestly even the grocery store hasn't been putting out the huge stack of hams...Yes, I see all the baskets and candy, but also because my kids are older....I don't really care...

I just wasn't thinking about it at all...

Until my man mentioned it to me...Which is even more amazing since he can barely tell what day of the week it is lately....

"Erm...you posted Always look at the bright side of life on your FB wall? That's sort of ballsy for you. It was almost Freudian."

It took me a full five minutes to realize what I'd done.

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2017, 04:08 PM
(14-04-2017 03:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 03:32 PM)Vera Wrote:  We got you momsby, mum's the word, we totally believe you didn't do it on purpose (last Easter someone was bitching on freaking Python's facebook for posting Always Look on the Bright Side of Life clip. Needless to say, people tore them a new one (or a hundred) in no time. Idjots!

Honestly, our house is a mess. Trying to find places for some of my mother in law's things that we want or must keep, and finding new homes for the stuff that used to go in that place.

My mother in law had a million Mickey Mouse figurines. Disneyland doesn't even make them anymore -- they're adorable. So I gathered up all the Disney stuff we have all over, and put it all in one place...

The problem is that place was full of springtime/easter stuff (bunnies, ceramic eggs shit like that)...So I took all that crap down and put it all away. Figure out what to do with it all next year type of thing...

So I'm not really thinking about Easter....Honestly even the grocery store hasn't been putting out the huge stack of hams...Yes, I see all the baskets and candy, but also because my kids are older....I don't really care...

I just wasn't thinking about it at all...

Until my man mentioned it to me...Which is even more amazing since he can barely tell what day of the week it is lately....

"Erm...you posted Always look at the bright side of life on your FB wall? That's sort of ballsy for you. It was almost Freudian."

It took me a full five minutes to realize what I'd done.

Just smile and hum along. Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
14-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Moms, that sounds hilarious...I kind of want to do it. But given posting from Friendly Atheist will trigger cousin's husband into ragestorm morality policing, don't think it would go over well...heh.

Vera, sorry the food and conversation was less than stellar. And the missing conversation with friends. Sad Agreed that brains cover a multitude of sins and not needing to be *that* hot really. Also poor landlady too; being humiliated like that sounds utterly unfair to her. Personally would've felt weird about it all, but not withdrawn or anything on her.

Actually kind of interesting, last meeting of the day we were discussing how to overcome cultural differences in our classrooms. I say it nicely, but really, 90% of it was about racist white farm kids.

--

Also to rant some more, I hit the part of Katherine Stewart's book on the Good News Club about converting kids from Catholic families. The sheer dishonesty of the tactics makes me angry. Even were I not Catholic, or if these were kids of another denomination or faith or no faith, I'd be so very angry. First the seminar speaker talks about stereotypes like how lazy Hispanics are. Then how they only 'think' they're Christian because they grew up in that Church...it really made me think of Richard Dawkins and how he'd say that they were doing the same with their children; how you're going to grow up probably, to be, the religion of your parents and geographic area, and how there is no such thing as a Christian child. Anyhow...heh. Also don't tell them GNC is anti-Catholic, just try to say it's "Bible lessons" because you can't let the parents know what their kids are learning that contradicts what they're taught at home and at church. Seminar lady goes on to tell the group how she continued to knock on every door in a building despite signs saying "Don't knock, we're Catholic", and how she got every kid in that building to attend, and began to convert them away form their families slowly. Oh and let's not forget the part where one woman shares the touching story of telling a small child that his brother is burning in Hell now.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Well, the cocktails at least were nice, raw egg white and all Yes If only I had been watching the latest QI episodes instead. But. Internet here is decent enough for me to download them (pity I didn't bring some of the older ones from home)

God, that brother burning in hell story! Makes you wonder, did their religion make them thus or did it just give their inner jerk a voice and an excuse? Consider

Oh god, the cultural differences! Am amazed at just how much people love to stereotype (and almost always - negatively). Like, I went to an English class (as a guest, not as a student, natch Tongue ) and someone (Brazilian, obviously) was talking about how literal the Portuguese are (have lived there almost nine months in total, have *literally* never ever noticed them being literal) and how once they were ordering coffee in Portugal, and went something like "One for me and him - two, and him - three"... and the waiter brought six coffees. Frankly, I didn't believe the story. Or. That particular guy was kinda stupid.

Anyway, we def. like to put others into categories, usually defined by something negative. Divide and dislike

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
14-04-2017, 06:10 PM
(14-04-2017 02:39 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Let's see if this posts...despite the network issues.
(14-04-2017 11:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why? Consider
No, seriously, why?
I came to TTA to get away from stupid shit like that.

Sorry to make you experience it here, then.

I experienced it because you inflicted it on us.

Quote:And because, despite what many more Traditionalist Catholics believe (and student flipping out on me for not acknowledging Good Friday at first, believes), I am Catholic.

Yes, and you have your other sites filled with like-minded people who eat that shit up.

Quote:I may not be all "Woo I'm filled with the fire of God and going to work Jesus into every conversation ever" Evangelical, but I still have that small flickering flame of faith, at least most of the time.

Your faith is your business, not ours.

And you didn't answer the question. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
14-04-2017, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 06:14 PM by BackSlider.)
[Image: 3F3C32E100000578-0-image-a-18_1492162044512.jpg]
Good Friday..?
This is sooo fuc'n SICK!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...pines.html
Piece of fuc'n cake !??? I presume?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...6954793516

You have to be odd to be #1.
14-04-2017, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 06:32 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(14-04-2017 05:55 PM)Vera Wrote:  Well, the cocktails at least were nice, raw egg white and all Yes If only I had been watching the latest QI episodes instead. But. Internet here is decent enough for me to download them (pity I didn't bring some of the older ones from home)

God, that brother burning in hell story! Makes you wonder, did their religion make them thus or did it just give their inner jerk a voice and an excuse? Consider

Oh god, the cultural differences! Am amazed at just how much people love to stereotype (and almost always - negatively). Like, I went to an English class (as a guest, not as a student, natch Tongue ) and someone (Brazilian, obviously) was talking about how literal the Portuguese are (have lived there almost nine months in total, have *literally* never ever noticed them being literal) and how once they were ordering coffee in Portugal, and went something like "One for me and him - two, and him - three"... and the waiter brought six coffees. Frankly, I didn't believe the story. Or. That particular guy was kinda stupid.

Anyway, we def. like to put others into categories, usually defined by something negative. Divide and dislike
Egg whites sound...different? As a drink ingredient. Would have to try it to have an opinion though. But glad you liked it! (Also had to google QI and it looks so interesting; a quiz show where being right isn't everything.)

I'd like to think it gave voice to their inner jerk, but part of me suspects they were raised within that faith and taught to believe that way. :ohno: Oh dear Lord that guy sounds awful, doubting his story here as well, though no experience living in Portugal like you have. That or maybe he was a jerk to the waiter, so the waiter decided to get even the only way he could...

And yeah...heh. We probably shouldn't have negatively defined them the way we did, but we were all pretty upset as anecdote after anecdote piled up.

Now at portion of book where Liberty Counsel guy tells you how to get your club into the public schools... Facepalm

(14-04-2017 06:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 02:39 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Let's see if this posts...despite the network issues.

Sorry to make you experience it here, then.

I experienced it because you inflicted it on us.
And again I apologize, but under our current understanding of physics, time travel is impossible, so can't take it back, despite that.

Quote:And because, despite what many more Traditionalist Catholics believe (and student flipping out on me for not acknowledging Good Friday at first, believes), I am Catholic.

Yes, and you have your other sites filled with like-minded people who eat that shit up.
[/quote]
Yes there are likeminded sites out there with people who do believe. Though once again, the comment wasn't made to exclusively offend you, nor anyone here, it was couched as, what I incorrectly believed to be innocuous apparently, part of a reply to a post about two women who were nonstop God-gabbing in the workplace, where it shouldn't have occurred, especially given their faith basically blames their boss's people for killing their Messiah.

Quote:I may not be all "Woo I'm filled with the fire of God and going to work Jesus into every conversation ever" Evangelical, but I still have that small flickering flame of faith, at least most of the time.

Your faith is your business, not ours.

And you didn't answer the question. Drinking Beverage
[/quote]

And I'm pretty sure I did. Belief. Which as you said, is my business, not yours, but the answer was given in response to your question. You just failed to accept that answer as legitimate.

Edit: Holy crap Philippines, wtf?

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Raining thunder and lightning and now hail.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post