Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-04-2017, 10:29 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(21-04-2017 09:37 AM)Vera Wrote:  I actually like cabbage (and broccoli. And brussel sprouts. And cauliflower.) Not too keen on the smell though.

One of my favourite Bulgarian dishes can be made with sauerkraut and that's my second favourite kind (the best is with leeks. In my - not too common (as always Rolleyes ) - opinion)

[Image: DSC_7326+(Small).JPG]

[Image: ssl28952.jpg]

And then you have cabbage-leaf sarmi Yes

[Image: sarmi.jpg]

Those look delicious. I too like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and even sauerkraut (sauerkraut is big here in Wisconsin), but the smell can be a bit strong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
21-04-2017, 10:31 AM
(21-04-2017 10:29 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(21-04-2017 09:37 AM)Vera Wrote:  I actually like cabbage (and broccoli. And brussel sprouts. And cauliflower.) Not too keen on the smell though.

One of my favourite Bulgarian dishes can be made with sauerkraut and that's my second favourite kind (the best is with leeks. In my - not too common (as always Rolleyes ) - opinion)

[Image: DSC_7326+(Small).JPG]

[Image: ssl28952.jpg]

And then you have cabbage-leaf sarmi Yes

[Image: sarmi.jpg]

Those look delicious. I too like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and even sauerkraut (sauerkraut is big here in Wisconsin), but the smell can be a bit strong.

I like kraut with hotdogs mmmm Drooling
21-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I might've been snappish-er than usual Blush Only, I've heard crap along those lines from Brits (and Germans) for way too long now, long before Brexit, long enough to be aware that there's more than an ounce of truth in those particular "jokes". So when a British garbage collector, for example, is scared out of his tiny wits, that I, who speak several languages and have lived on several continents, will come and steal his job, I tend to get, understandably or not, pissy.

Rolleyes

I also might be in an unrelatedly pissy mood Unsure

Grasshopper, they *are* delicious. The ones with vine leaves are great, too. And banitsa is one of the best things ever. Especially with yogurt (or ayran) Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
21-04-2017, 10:35 AM
(21-04-2017 10:32 AM)Vera Wrote:  So when a British garbage collector, for example, is scared out of his tiny wits...

This is a phrase that I must remember.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
21-04-2017, 10:44 AM
(21-04-2017 10:32 AM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, I might've been snappish-er than usual Blush Only, I've heard crap along those lines from Brits (and Germans) for way too long now, long before Brexit, long enough to be aware that there's more than an ounce of truth in those particular "jokes". So when a British garbage collector, for example, is scared out of his tiny wits, that I, who speak several languages and have lived on several continents, will come and steal his job, I tend to get, understandably or not, pissy.

Rolleyes

Grasshopper, they *are* delicious. The ones with vine leaves are great, too. And banitsa is one of the best things ever. Especially with yogurt (or ayran) Yes
I completely understand and I'm very sorry if I gave you the wrong impression it wasn't my intention. Having worked in Romanian orphanages just after the revolution I have huge respect for the peoples of eastern Europe and voted against brexit, I also get seriously angry with the coverage in some of the tabloids where they paint everyone with the same brush.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
21-04-2017, 11:02 AM
(21-04-2017 10:32 AM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, I might've been snappish-er than usual Blush Only, I've heard crap along those lines from Brits (and Germans) for way too long now, long before Brexit, long enough to be aware that there's more than an ounce of truth in those particular "jokes". So when a British garbage collector, for example, is scared out of his tiny wits, that I, who speak several languages and have lived on several continents, will come and steal his job, I tend to get, understandably or not, pissy.

Rolleyes

Weird, I thought I'd quoted Grasshopper too; so Grasshopper, I know the feeling. Our campus Latinos Unidos group has my classroom for my 1pm class for their noon meeting on Mondays, and it always smells so wonderful when I walk in after they're done.

And Vera, your post makes me think of a meme I shared recently on Facebook. "Yes Gary with your high school diploma, Mohammed the neurologist is totally going to take your job."

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
21-04-2017, 11:05 AM
No worries, Adey. That's just one of the very very few things I tend to be unreasonably touchy about. Sheer bad luck on your part Tongue

Here, have some rakia (even if I don't drink the stuff) and some mezes Yes

[Image: p3135682Kehlibar.png]

[Image: mezeta.jpg]

ShaiHulid, people here tell me it's the same with Haitians around these parts. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-04-2017, 11:19 AM
(21-04-2017 11:05 AM)Vera Wrote:  No worries, Adey. That's just one of the very very few things I tend to be unreasonably touchy about. Sheer bad luck on your part Tongue

Here, have some rakia (even if I don't drink the stuff) and some mezes Yes

[Image: p3135682Kehlibar.png]

[Image: mezeta.jpg]

ShaiHulid, people here tell me it's the same with Haitians around these parts. Undecided

Ahhh, Romanian plum brandy I'm guessing rakia is something similar, that stuff along with Romanian cherry brandy was fantastic. Always remember that apart from the rabid far right and loons who read the express and mail you do have much support here. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
21-04-2017, 12:34 PM
I don't know, I've given up on the whole support/like thing. I'll settle for not being subjected to outright dislike (not by you, obviously!) Dodgy

Yeah, I guess the Romanian booze is similar. You can make ours from any time of fruit, really - plums, cherries, pears.

22-04-2017, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2017 08:52 AM by Vera.)
“All I said was, if we’d already registered for the slow-flow, medium-flow, and fast- flow nipples, did we really need the variable flow? Isn’t that just a combination of all the other nipples we’d already picked?
“Because you don’t ask questions at Babies‘R’Us,” the taller man said. “Take it from someone who knows. You push the cart, you lift the heavy things, and whenever she asks your opinion on something, just cock your head, take a moment, and then point to the yellow one.”

I refuse to accept that this is the level of the majority of my gender, that this is what we are supposed to find funny and that most of us are THIS painfully and embarrassingly DUMB and VAPID. This is insulting to both men and women and the intelligence of our species as a whole.

[Image: emo11.gif][Image: emo11.gif][Image: emo11.gif]

Seriously, where do I sign up for gender - nay, species - reassignment surgery?

[Image: 1347777-bigthumbnail.jpg]

Then again, maybe this *is* our level, haven't seen much to convince me otherwise, really...

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post