Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
25-04-2017, 06:26 PM
RE: Ranting corner
So, around 1995 or maybe as late as '99, I gave my mother in law a bunch of wedding gifts we'd gotten and didn't have the room for, wouldn't use, they'd end up destroyed by either the cat, who was huge and convinced he was a tiny thing...or by the kid.

Fast forward a couple decades...my man is going through his mom's cupboard...

Him: she's got a lot of relish/divided dishes, should we keep them or try to sell them?
Me: (not really thinking) if you like them keep them, if not, we'll sell or just donate them.
Him: ok, I'll put aside the ones I like and the rest can go...

Today, I bring home a box he packed and started unpacking it

Inside is every single crystal relish dish I gave to his mom years ago....

Added bonus the huge candy bowl, the port decanter and cookie jar have found their way back into my life.

Lucky me...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-04-2017, 07:01 PM
(25-04-2017 06:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So, around 1995 or maybe as late as '99, I gave my mother in law a bunch of wedding gifts we'd gotten and didn't have the room for, wouldn't use, they'd end up destroyed by either the cat, who was huge and convinced he was a tiny thing...or by the kid.

Him: she's got a lot of relish/divided dishes, should we keep them or try to sell them?
Me: (not really thinking) if you like them keep them, if not, we'll sell or just donate them.

Added bonus the huge candy bowl, the port decanter and cookie jar have found their way back into my life.

Lucky me...

Just wait til tomorrow when you discover the flock of fondue pots that have been quietly breeding in the hall closet.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
25-04-2017, 07:09 PM
(25-04-2017 07:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 06:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So, around 1995 or maybe as late as '99, I gave my mother in law a bunch of wedding gifts we'd gotten and didn't have the room for, wouldn't use, they'd end up destroyed by either the cat, who was huge and convinced he was a tiny thing...or by the kid.

Lucky me...

Just wait til tomorrow when you discover the flock of fondue pots that have been quietly breeding in the hall closet.

Laugh out load Yes When my mom died, we were cleaning out her house and she had NINE brand new Mr Coffee makers (new in the box!) in a closet. She used to do refunds with various manufacturers, and drank a lot of coffee. There was all kinds of stuff like that. It took us months of garage sales to get it down to where we could donate the remnants.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
25-04-2017, 07:38 PM
(25-04-2017 07:09 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 07:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Just wait til tomorrow when you discover the flock of fondue pots that have been quietly breeding in the hall closet.

Laugh out load Yes When my mom died, we were cleaning out her house and she had NINE brand new Mr Coffee makers (new in the box!) in a closet. She used to do refunds with various manufacturers, and drank a lot of coffee. There was all kinds of stuff like that. It took us months of garage sales to get it down to where we could donate the remnants.

Oh gosh...we found a cheese grater with a hunk of parm still inside.

I'm so not kidding.

We have boxes of kitchen gadgets never opened.

We found a shamwow...

I opened her oven and the instruction book was still inside it. It still had the tags on the grates. Weeping

Every single fucking food network Rachel Ray piece of shit we found inside her cupboards...obviously she never once baked anything once she moved here in 2004. Including the trademarked GB (garbage bowl). Facepalm

The really weird thing is that she'd be so embarrassed by all this. She joked to me about the mess we'd find. I don't think she knew all the shit she had.

Her house was immaculate...I'm not kidding. Neat as a pin...

Until you opened a closet, cupboard or drawer.

Just today, I found grocery bags filled with stuff she wanted to throw away.

It was just garbage..old supermarket ads and catalogs that read spring 2006. What's weird I think I know what happened.

My father in law probably 'put it away' because he couldn't stand to see "stuff out" and she didn't know it.

Oh and I found her taxes from 2012 - among some medical benefit stuff...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-04-2017, 08:47 PM
(25-04-2017 07:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 07:09 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Laugh out load Yes When my mom died, we were cleaning out her house and she had NINE brand new Mr Coffee makers (new in the box!) in a closet. She used to do refunds with various manufacturers, and drank a lot of coffee. There was all kinds of stuff like that. It took us months of garage sales to get it down to where we could donate the remnants.

Oh gosh...we found a cheese grater with a hunk of parm still inside.

I'm so not kidding.

We have boxes of kitchen gadgets never opened.

We found a shamwow...

I opened her oven and the instruction book was still inside it. It still had the tags on the grates. Weeping

Every single fucking food network Rachel Ray piece of shit we found inside her cupboards...obviously she never once baked anything once she moved here in 2004. Including the trademarked GB (garbage bowl). Facepalm

The really weird thing is that she'd be so embarrassed by all this. She joked to me about the mess we'd find. I don't think she knew all the shit she had.

Her house was immaculate...I'm not kidding. Neat as a pin...

Until you opened a closet, cupboard or drawer.

Just today, I found grocery bags filled with stuff she wanted to throw away.

It was just garbage..old supermarket ads and catalogs that read spring 2006. What's weird I think I know what happened.

My father in law probably 'put it away' because he couldn't stand to see "stuff out" and she didn't know it.

Oh and I found her taxes from 2012 - among some medical benefit stuff...

My wife has a problem getting rid of junk/broken stuff. I think I already mentioned elsewhere here that I found two broken "water-pick" type machines in the front bathroom (I don't generally use it; I use the master bathroom so that my 89 YO MIL doesn't have to wait to use it, and it's my youngest son's job to clean it). Forgot to put them out for recycling yesterday. Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
25-04-2017, 09:58 PM
So, I'm nearing the end of that box I mentioned earlier...

I come across these two plates, with some sort of design on them...I ask my man what are they? They're wrapped in bubble wrap so I have to assume they had some significance.

The man examines them, then goes to Google. They were done by some guy who lived with Eskimos.

Me: So?
The man: Well, the guy died and his stuff now has value -- we better keep them.

(Now I'm totally over this whole....this "shit is worth something we'd better keep it" crap because my shit box is overflowing...We've got company coming from California next week and I don't have room for all this stuff. Not only that, but there's so much of it, that it's really going everywhere and I'm becoming completely concerned that I won't remember where I'm stashing half of it.)

Me: So let me get this straight, Nanook of the North doodles on a plate and we have to keep it?
The man: (laughing) Yes.

Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-04-2017, 10:27 PM
(25-04-2017 09:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So, I'm nearing the end of that box I mentioned earlier...

I come across these two plates, with some sort of design on them...I ask my man what are they? They're wrapped in bubble wrap so I have to assume they had some significance.

The man examines them, then goes to Google. They were done by some guy who lived with Eskimos.

(Now I'm totally over this whole....this "shit is worth something we'd better keep it" crap because my shit box is overflowing...We've got company coming from California next week and I don't have room for all this stuff. Not only that, but there's so much of it, that it's really going everywhere and I'm becoming completely concerned that I won't remember where I'm stashing half of it.)

Me: So let me get this straight, Nanook of the North doodles on a plate and we have to keep it?

Facepalm

Omg I love Nanooks work. Really underrated artist.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
25-04-2017, 10:29 PM
(25-04-2017 09:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So, I'm nearing the end of that box I mentioned earlier...

Facepalm

In your "copious" free time, catalog it so that you know where it is stored. Then, when the guests are gone, you can deal with it ONE LAST TIME. Yes
25-04-2017, 10:34 PM
I hate when they talk about shutting down the government. They don't really shut the government down.
25-04-2017, 10:46 PM
Finally feeling human again after dealing with allergies for nearly a week, and I don't want to go to bed now. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post