Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
29-04-2017, 05:03 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(28-04-2017 09:51 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 07:19 PM)julep Wrote:  So after being sick all last week I'm better...except I still want to sleep all day, and every time I take a deep breath I cough. Not the best conditions for a flute performance.

There's a cold going around here in soCal that can last for a month. My wife picked it up, and had it bad enough to end up with antibiotics, three weeks ago. She's still sick. I got the precursor sore throat two weeks ago today, and woke up with another sore throat this morning. Dodgy

My bug only lasted a week, but it's taking an extra week to recover. My stamina's still down. Sad I hope your sore throat doesn't turn into what your wife has; that sounds awful.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
29-04-2017, 05:54 AM
Hot-dogs tonight yay !!
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
29-04-2017, 08:09 AM
(29-04-2017 05:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Hot-dogs tonight yay !!

Me too, man. Ever since I mentioned Chili Dogs to Moms been wanting one.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-04-2017, 08:43 AM
On day 2 of sinus headache that nothing in the medicine cabinet will touch. :/

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2017, 11:37 AM
(29-04-2017 08:43 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  On day 2 of sinus headache that nothing in the medicine cabinet will touch. :/

You need to clear the sinuses, I suggest a decongestant and an over the counter mild opioid analgesic combined with some non steroidal anti-inflammatory meds such as ibuprofen or asprin, and a stiff measure of JD before bed, if no improvement visit family physician asap.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
29-04-2017, 12:18 PM
I hate grocery shopping...that's not news. Now I hate it even more.

Went to the store a little while ago. Apparently there simply isn't a good time to go. Store crowded and not enough cashiers...typical. I have gotten used to bagging some of my own groceries in order to speed the process along. Husband went with me today and he was trying to help bag groceries as the young lady wearing the hijab was either new or just super slow at the job and never played Tetris. Sure am glad she put the dishwasher soap in the same bag with the sugar though - good job there kid.

The cashier (a supervisor) suddenly turns around and grabs two items from the conveyor and stuffs them into a bag and says, "I keep forgetting she (the bagger) can't touch pork." It's then I realized the two items she grabbed were a pound of bacon and a ham steak.

Are you shitting me?!?!?!?!?! Are you fucking serious?

So now the cashiers have to sort out groceries that may be offensive to a scarf-wearing bagger? What if you get a scarf-wearing cashier...will there be 'No Pork' lanes in the future? What if I buy a can of split pea with ham soup and it gets past the cashier and the bagger touches the can...will Allah smite us? WTAF?!?

This is the shit that drives me fucking nuts about religion. If you can't touch a package of bacon because your god will be pissy about it then maybe you shouldn't be working in a large grocery store that serves a diverse cross section of the population.

Lanes coming soon to your neighborhood grocery...
15 items or less (but 26 or 32 items is close enough)-never mind...that one already exists
No pork lane
No shellfish lane
Lactose intolerant lane
Diabetic - no sugar lane
Gluten free lane
No meat Friday lane during Lent

Censored

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
29-04-2017, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 01:17 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(29-04-2017 11:37 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(29-04-2017 08:43 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  On day 2 of sinus headache that nothing in the medicine cabinet will touch. :/

You need to clear the sinuses, I suggest a decongestant and an over the counter mild opioid analgesic combined with some non steroidal anti-inflammatory meds such as ibuprofen or asprin, and a stiff measure of JD before bed, if no improvement visit family physician asap.

Thanks mate. If not much better by Monday, definitely will put in a call to my GP. But a trip to the store on the way home from Mass sounds like it may be in order for decongestant. Smile (I also may need hot dogs due to this thread.)

(29-04-2017 12:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The cashier (a supervisor) suddenly turns around and grabs two items from the conveyor and stuffs them into a bag and says, "I keep forgetting she (the bagger) can't touch pork." It's then I realized the two items she grabbed were a pound of bacon and a ham steak.

Are you shitting me?!?!?!?!?! Are you fucking serious?

So now the cashiers have to sort out groceries that may be offensive to a scarf-wearing bagger? What if you get a scarf-wearing cashier...will there be 'No Pork' lanes in the future? What if I buy a can of split pea with ham soup and it gets past the cashier and the bagger touches the can...will Allah smite us? WTAF?!?

Hmm, interesting. You're making me think of the last time I was at the grocery store, and everyone who was bagging stuff, was wearing gloves. Not sure why they were. Anyhow, I wonder if she still would've claimed a religious exemption if she had gloves on and therefore wasn't actually touching the pork? Just me being curious there; imagine the answer would be "oh no! Can't risk being Hellbound for it."

Edit: Also...in office despite feeling like crap, replying to emails and continuing to work on a scholarship committee thing I've sometimes mentioned in passing before. We're still trying to figure out how to weight things besides financial need, since we're using Free and Reduced Lunch as that criterion, but can't weight that too heavily, due to the two school districts we primarily serve having an 80% and 70% rate for that program respectively. Meanwhile, have a Frontline special on in the background and they were talking about an educational researcher in intervention programs for at-risk kids calling "high poverty" schools by such a designator as "having at least 40% of students on government subsidized lunch programs". My first thought, and fuck me for it, was, "I wish ours was that low. We'd have a lot less kids to have to deny help to."

Need to think of a witty signature.
29-04-2017, 01:16 PM
(29-04-2017 01:12 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Hmm, interesting. You're making me think of the last time I was at the grocery store, and everyone who was bagging stuff, was wearing gloves. Not sure why they were. Anyhow, I wonder if she still would've claimed a religious exemption if she had gloves on and therefore wasn't actually touching the pork? Just me being curious there; imagine the answer would be "oh no! Can't risk being Hellbound for it."

It's not like I threw a slab of unwrapped bacon on the conveyor. Dodgy

How many layers of plastic does Allah require to be between his followers and my choice of breakfast meat?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-04-2017, 01:20 PM
(29-04-2017 01:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-04-2017 01:12 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Hmm, interesting. You're making me think of the last time I was at the grocery store, and everyone who was bagging stuff, was wearing gloves. Not sure why they were. Anyhow, I wonder if she still would've claimed a religious exemption if she had gloves on and therefore wasn't actually touching the pork? Just me being curious there; imagine the answer would be "oh no! Can't risk being Hellbound for it."

How many layers of plastic does Allah require to be between his followers and my choice of breakfast meat?

Maybe if she had a pair of tongs.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
29-04-2017, 01:25 PM
(29-04-2017 01:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Oh I figured not, it's just...what does she need? JDog554 said tongs maybe, I said gloves. Even normally wrapped like you said, it's not like she's touching it. So wtf...can she just never touch it through X numbers of wrap layers? Is she going to break her religious convictions through the transitive property, since that pork was on the conveyor belt and she touched the belt? It's mind boggling.