Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
29-04-2017, 02:56 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(29-04-2017 02:53 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-04-2017 02:48 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Isn't it though? We love our gambling, and I demand a patron saint of Bingo darnit! (Somehow we're lacking one, despite having them for gas station attendants, arms dealers, and dysentery and God knows what else...)

And maybe don't say that too loud on the stupid front, lest the stupid intensify? "And then they sent me a fucking Pureflix movie novelization to translate."

... A patron saint of arms dealers? As in people who deal in the tools of mass murder? What. The. Fuck? I thought your God was supposed to be all jolly and red faced and come down peoples' chimneys at night? That kinda sounds weird though, I'll grant you that.

Catholics used to have saints for everything.

Some years back they cut a bunch of saints. Maybe they found out they were fakes. Ohmy

Catholics don't like to just bother god...they go to the second and third string, Mary included.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
29-04-2017, 02:58 PM
(29-04-2017 02:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Oh yeah, the Catholics I grew up around were/are into bingo and raffles and card playing.

Every year I get raffle tickets from the high school I went to that they think I am going to sell or buy in order to win a car. The car always comes from a dealership in town and is a way for them to show what good Catholics they are for helping out the Catholic school...I sure it's deducted as a contribution on their taxes and they milk all the advertising opportunities out of this selfless gesture as possible.

Yup...back home the people who owned all the major Italian restaurants in town would be at Mass on Sunday mornings to remind people they could get a nice meal afterward. <.< And one of the large car dealerships totally donated/wrote off on its taxes, a van for the Zimbabwean nuns we had.

(29-04-2017 02:53 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-04-2017 02:48 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Isn't it though? We love our gambling, and I demand a patron saint of Bingo darnit! (Somehow we're lacking one, despite having them for gas station attendants, arms dealers, and dysentery and God knows what else...)

And maybe don't say that too loud on the stupid front, lest the stupid intensify? "And then they sent me a fucking Pureflix movie novelization to translate."

... A patron saint of arms dealers? As in people who deal in the tools of mass murder? What. The. Fuck? I thought your God was supposed to be all jolly and red faced and come down peoples' chimneys at night? That kinda sounds weird though, I'll grant you that.

I have no flipping clue...though now I have a mental image of Yuri Orlov in Lord of War going, "So...I know I pretend to be Jewish. But Interpol is up my ass, shooting up this plane full of guns that I'm on, and I could really use your fucking help, okay Saint Adrian?"

Edit: And on Anjele's "unless you were just made up" point. They did remove 90+ saints from the liturgical calendar not long ago due to their origins being, shall we say, shrouded in myth to the point they don't actually show up in reliable manuscripts. http://abcnews.go.com/International/sain...d=23477573

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2017, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 03:41 PM by Vera.)
Well, I just had to google pureflix, didn't I? I had already read an article about the Xtian answer to 50 Shades, or something along those lines Facepalm

But you're absolutely right - things can always (and usually do) get stupider. And worse Dodgy

Yeah, have always found that patron saints of yours ridiculous even by your standards Tongue

(But I managed to get a rep point out of it Rolleyes )

(28-11-2016 01:05 PM)Vera Wrote:  (In all seriousness, even before I stopped seeing the imaginary light, that Catholic obsession with porcelain dollies and “patron saints” of stubbed toes and mild discomforts has always boggled the mind.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-04-2017, 03:04 PM
(29-04-2017 03:00 PM)Vera Wrote:  Well, I just had to google pureflix, didn't I? I had already read an article about the Xtian answer to 50 Shades, or something along those lines Facepalm

But you're absolutely right - things can always (and usually do) get stupider. And worse Dodgy

Yeah, have always found that patron saints of yours ridiculous even for your standards Tongue

(But I managed to get a rep point of it it Rolleyes )

(28-11-2016 01:05 PM)Vera Wrote:  (In all seriousness, even before I stopped seeing the imaginary light, that Catholic obsession with porcelain dollies and “patron saints” of stubbed toes and mild discomforts has always boggled the mind.)

Oh, you mean the movie Old Fashioned? The fact Vera can say "Christian version of 50 Shades of Grey" and I know that says horrible things about me...not sure what they are, but quite awful. No

And it's okay, something like 40,000 Christian denominations and every other religion on Earth agree with you about one thing at least (on the patron saints). Wink Also given I just prompted you to expose yourself to Pureflix, really don't mind that shot against patron saints, it sounds like we're even-ish.

--
And now to Mass! Where we'll pre-game as it were with gossiping little old ladies making snide comments about me sitting there reading and how it's disrespectful, while they continue to gossip about everyone! Hobo Also where I will continue to ponder what the Hell a "micro-campus" is?

29-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Catholic life in a small town story.

We had a K of C hall in town. Not sure what went on in there for the most part. In the basement they had a small bowling alley. It was NOT automated. Pins were reset and balls returned by boys from town who made a little money doing it. The wall behind the area where the boys were had some windows that were accessible from the alley. So guess were some of us hung out when we were young teens? Yep, in the alley climbing partway into the windows to make out with our boyfriends in between their pin-setting duties. Angel

Years later I was often hired to bartend for wedding receptions there. The poorer people who couldn't afford one of the big fancy halls, large restaurants, or the country club had their receptions at the K of C Hall.

I sure helped a lot of people get hammered at wedding receptions back in my early 20s.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Unbelievable. I actually managed to get all my crap done. Now, I'm just waiting on my sushi. I even managed to take an antihistamine - kinda wish I would've done it before the library. I felt like the human hag fish. At least I was clear headed at the grocery. As soon as I'm home, I'll settle in with my sushi and wine and an old murder mystery film. Had I known I would be so productive, I would have gotten out a lot earlier - rain be damed. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-04-2017, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 07:50 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(29-04-2017 03:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Catholic life in a small town story.

We had a K of C hall in town. Not sure what went on in there for the most part. In the basement they had a small bowling alley. It was NOT automated. Pins were reset and balls returned by boys from town who made a little money doing it. The wall behind the area where the boys were had some windows that were accessible from the alley. So guess were some of us hung out when we were young teens? Yep, in the alley climbing partway into the windows to make out with our boyfriends in between their pin-setting duties. Angel

Years later I was often hired to bartend for wedding receptions there. The poorer people who couldn't afford one of the big fancy halls, large restaurants, or the country club had their receptions at the K of C Hall.

I sure helped a lot of people get hammered at wedding receptions back in my early 20s.
LOL, hilarious stories. Also, it's a Catholic wedding, so I thought getting hammered was mandatory? Wink Truly you were a saint. Angel Now though? Evil_monster (Just kidding.)

Actually do have a rant...oh my God, it was First Holy Communion and the place was a zoo. Hundreds of people I've never seen before, all craning with smart phones and tablets to take photos of everything. Poor priest looked like he was being marched to his death during the processional. And they all never shut the Hell up. Censored Oh and did I mention it was all Hawaiian themed for some reason? We started with a hymn called "One Ohana". In before someone says "if you just become an atheist none of this will ever happen again"

Also in keeping with a pretty sucktastic week, first thing to happen after stepping out of my car was for the wind to gust and turn my umbrella inside out and rip it completely through the fabric in some places, ruining it. Now wondering if head is really sinuses or an ear infection inbound.

Edit: And...now I just possibly caused Facebook drama. Depends on if certain Evangelicals reply to a post. Edit 2: He's not taken the bait yet, but an atheist friend did like the post.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
29-04-2017, 11:32 PM
People that don't know how to do a knock-knock joke. Dickheads

Don't Believe the Hype
30-04-2017, 12:01 AM
Omg this cleaning the house for company sucks eggs.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

30-04-2017, 05:52 AM
(29-04-2017 03:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Catholic life in a small town story.

Sounds like fun! It reminds me of a bar/bowling alley in Chicago, north side, where they still had manual pin-setters; it was originally built/sponsored by Schlitz. Excellent grilled cheese sandwiches. I took my husband there in the mid 1990s. I was going to say it's probably closed now, but I just looked it up and it's still open! Southport Lanes.

(Speaking of people getting hammered, I recently performed at a church with a full-service bar in the basement. It was--not surprisingly?--a Catholic church.)