Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
05-05-2017, 07:05 AM
RE: Ranting corner
It's incredibly frustrating that the company can't see the benefit in spending $3,000 in installing and shifting around cameras in our most vulnerable areas so that we security can actually do our job. It's frustrating they won't even consider the option of putting in things like security cases, this one is a big fat nope. They won't even consider following our competitors and having someone posted on the changing rooms to monitor people's comings and goings to see what goes in and out of them. Fuck, we don't even have the ability to see down like 80% of our aisles. Like... what the fuck even is that?? Not even taking into account that our best cameras, the ones we can move around, have such a large area they have to cover they can't really be effective because we obviously can't have it looking at the whole area it's supposed to be covering all the time. Wanna watch clothing? cool, but now you can't watch shoes. Wanna watch technology? cool, now you can't watch food. Wanna watch camping and fishing? cool, now you can't watch technology or food...

It's the most ridiculously poor business decision I've ever first hand witnessed to keep doing what we're doing the same way we're doing it when it's clear as fucking day that it aint god damn working!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-05-2017, 07:09 AM
(05-05-2017 07:02 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 06:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well I mean, why else would they steal from us? They sell the products somewhere (this is how we catch a lot of them because they try and sell it on facebook and we know all the buy and sell pages. Half the photos on our wall are from facebook pages. >< ) and use the money for drugs. Like, I don't think you understand the level of scum these people are that steal from us like this. It's like stereotypical theft. They all look drugged fucked, they're all white trash or Maori women (or teenage girls stealing chocolate from the school up the road, but that's a different kind of shoplifting, that's not serial professional level shoplifting that I'm talking about that we get all the time.), if they're aggressive they'll be skinhead 30-something year old white men like this guy was. Like you can't make this shit up or exaggerate it. It's every single fucking time. Either a drug fucked 30-something year old white guy or a group of 2-3 Maori women. Always. ALWAYS.

We're basically a Wal-Mart and so we get the exact people you imagine shop at Wal-Mart and so naturally you're gonna get a lot of shoplifters. BUT we're one of the worst, if not thee worst, store in the whole country. There's a couple hundred stores nation wide and we make up like 10% of company-wide theft.

And if they fucking listened to me once in a while, I'm convinced I could save this company hundreds of thousands of dollars from just walking out the door.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I watched and caught many white drugged out pieces of crap, watched but could do nothing about "minorities" using foodstamp cards to buy stuff that people either resell to get drug money or use it to cut drugs, and of course people that actually have money try to sneak stuff out under carts or buried under other stuff in their carts. The ones with money that were doing it for the rush were the biggest problem. I was the only one that could catch that stuff. Once in a while I can understand it being an accident. When I was catching the same people every week, management started to realize it was intentional.

Lucky we don't have food stamps here. Our system regarding that is actually rather good and you can't really abuse it. WINZ (welfare department) give you a card that can only be used certain places and can only be used for certain things. So like, if you use one at a grocery store they won't let you buy junk food or cigarettes with it.
With us they must come in and get a quote for the items first, they then get a piece of paper outlining what they can get and get given a card to buy it with. When we get the paper we call WINZ to confirm and than sell them whatever it is.
05-05-2017, 07:20 AM
(05-05-2017 07:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's incredibly frustrating that the company can't see the benefit in spending $3,000 in installing and shifting around cameras in our most vulnerable areas so that we security can actually do our job. It's frustrating they won't even consider the option of putting in things like security cases, this one is a big fat nope. They won't even consider following our competitors and having someone posted on the changing rooms to monitor people's comings and goings to see what goes in and out of them. Fuck, we don't even have the ability to see down like 80% of our aisles. Like... what the fuck even is that?? Not even taking into account that our best cameras, the ones we can move around, have such a large area they have to cover they can't really be effective because we obviously can't have it looking at the whole area it's supposed to be covering all the time. Wanna watch clothing? cool, but now you can't watch shoes. Wanna watch technology? cool, now you can't watch food. Wanna watch camping and fishing? cool, now you can't watch technology or food...

It's the most ridiculously poor business decision I've ever first hand witnessed to keep doing what we're doing the same way we're doing it when it's clear as fucking day that it aint god damn working!

Sounds like when I worked at K-Mart. They were too cheap to place a camera on the one aisle in the store without one, so every shift, we'd find over a dozen empty packages stuffed behind things in it. They had $300,000 in shrink come inventory time, so there had to be a lot of internal theft going on unsurprisingly as well. At least they would have someone outside the changing rooms though; it's ridiculous your store won't, considering how easy it would be to shoplift anything that could fit into a purse in there.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2017, 07:24 AM
(05-05-2017 07:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's incredibly frustrating that the company can't see the benefit in spending $3,000 in installing and shifting around cameras in our most vulnerable areas so that we security can actually do our job. It's frustrating they won't even consider the option of putting in things like security cases, this one is a big fat nope. They won't even consider following our competitors and having someone posted on the changing rooms to monitor people's comings and goings to see what goes in and out of them. Fuck, we don't even have the ability to see down like 80% of our aisles. Like... what the fuck even is that?? Not even taking into account that our best cameras, the ones we can move around, have such a large area they have to cover they can't really be effective because we obviously can't have it looking at the whole area it's supposed to be covering all the time. Wanna watch clothing? cool, but now you can't watch shoes. Wanna watch technology? cool, now you can't watch food. Wanna watch camping and fishing? cool, now you can't watch technology or food...

If it is anything like here, the stores are able to claim a certain amount of losses on their taxes. I think it is about 10 million, but it may be more like 1. As long as they are not losing more money than they are legally allowed to claim, there is no incentive at all to change things since the tax payers cover their losses.
05-05-2017, 07:30 AM
(05-05-2017 07:20 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  

Sounds like when I worked at K-Mart. They were too cheap to place a camera on the one aisle in the store without one, so every shift, we'd find over a dozen empty packages stuffed behind things in it. They had $300,000 in shrink come inventory time, so there had to be a lot of internal theft going on unsurprisingly as well. At least they would have someone outside the changing rooms though; it's ridiculous your store won't, considering how easy it would be to shoplift anything that could fit into a purse in there.

Yip, we constantly find empty packages down aisles we can't see down. It's just become a norm, it's like you show up to your security shift and there's a basket of empty packaging of like $400 worth of product that the night shift found the night before. And that's just the stuff people bother to go down an aisle and remove from the packaging, most people just hiding packaging and all.

Our clothing ladies will often come down after checking the changing rooms (to remove clothes people left in there) with clothing tags that have been ripped off (I have no idea why people think it's barcodes that set of the security gates..).

Quote:If it is anything like here, the stores are able to claim a certain amount of losses on their taxes. I think it is about 10 million, but it may be more like 1. As long as they are not losing more money than they are legally allowed to claim, there is no incentive at all to change things since the tax payers cover their losses.

Oh that's interesting, could be. Though I'd bet we go way over it if there is. I might have to look into that.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-05-2017, 07:45 AM
(05-05-2017 07:30 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 07:20 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sounds like when I worked at K-Mart. They were too cheap to place a camera on the one aisle in the store without one, so every shift, we'd find over a dozen empty packages stuffed behind things in it. They had $300,000 in shrink come inventory time, so there had to be a lot of internal theft going on unsurprisingly as well. At least they would have someone outside the changing rooms though; it's ridiculous your store won't, considering how easy it would be to shoplift anything that could fit into a purse in there.

Yip, we constantly find empty packages down aisles we can't see down. It's just become a norm, it's like you show up to your security shift and there's a basket of empty packaging of like $400 worth of product that the night shift found the night before. And that's just the stuff people bother to go down an aisle and remove from the packaging, most people just hiding packaging and all.

Our clothing ladies will often come down after checking the changing rooms (to remove clothes people left in there) with clothing tags that have been ripped off (I have no idea why people think it's barcodes that set of the security gates..).

Quote:If it is anything like here, the stores are able to claim a certain amount of losses on their taxes. I think it is about 10 million, but it may be more like 1. As long as they are not losing more money than they are legally allowed to claim, there is no incentive at all to change things since the tax payers cover their losses.

Oh that's interesting, could be. Though I'd bet we go way over it if there is. I might have to look into that.

It would be worth checking on. Here stores make security decisions based almost exclusively on it.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
05-05-2017, 09:11 AM
(04-05-2017 12:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  In anticipation for the new job I opened up a new savings and checking account for direct deposit of my paychecks, also signed up for a debit card. This was on April 18th. 12 business days/16 days later and I still have not got my debit card. Would love to have it before I start Saturday so I do not have to go to the bank and withdraw money every time I want to go somewhere for lunch but I have a feeling that will not happen.

So in an update on this, my feelings were right. It got sent back to them because of a "bad address" which the address wasn't bad. They are going to send it to my local branch for me to pick up, should be there tomorrow but I have orientation for my job from 9 am to 1 pm which the bank is open from 9 am to noon so I won't be getting it then. Guess I'll get it Monday unless something else decides to stop that from happening.

If there is a God, fuck you for being an asshole.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
05-05-2017, 09:49 AM
(05-05-2017 06:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 06:35 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  What did you do? Catch a crack addict attempting to steal from the store? I know he was trying to intimidate you.

Well I mean, why else would they steal from us? They sell the products somewhere (this is how we catch a lot of them because they try and sell it on facebook and we know all the buy and sell pages. Half the photos on our wall are from facebook pages. >< ) and use the money for drugs. Like, I don't think you understand the level of scum these people are that steal from us like this. It's like stereotypical theft. They all look drugged fucked, they're all white trash or Maori women (or teenage girls stealing chocolate from the school up the road, but that's a different kind of shoplifting, that's not serial professional level shoplifting that I'm talking about that we get all the time.), if they're aggressive they'll be skinhead 30-something year old white men like this guy was. Like you can't make this shit up or exaggerate it. It's every single fucking time. Either a drug fucked 30-something year old white guy or a group of 2-3 Maori women. Always. ALWAYS.

We're basically a Wal-Mart and so we get the exact people you imagine shop at Wal-Mart and so naturally you're gonna get a lot of shoplifters. BUT we're one of the worst, if not thee worst, store in the whole country. There's a couple hundred stores nation wide and we make up like 10% of company-wide theft.

And if they fucking listened to me once in a while, I'm convinced I could save this company hundreds of thousands of dollars from just walking out the door.
But I'm not full time security, and I don't talk to the regional head of security like the full time security staff and I don't have say in regards to things like fixing our security gates, stopping manufacturers putting those security tags on clothing before they even get to the store (it doesn't help, it hinders our job greatly) and getting more cameras and where to put them. And so around $250,000 walks out our doors every year.
Why not write a security protocol based on your ideas and send it to the regional head of security? If he has any decency and if you ideas work you might get promotion, just keep a copy to prove it was you and stop anyone passing it off as their own.
05-05-2017, 10:15 AM
(05-05-2017 09:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 06:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well I mean, why else would they steal from us? They sell the products somewhere (this is how we catch a lot of them because they try and sell it on facebook and we know all the buy and sell pages. Half the photos on our wall are from facebook pages. >< ) and use the money for drugs. Like, I don't think you understand the level of scum these people are that steal from us like this. It's like stereotypical theft. They all look drugged fucked, they're all white trash or Maori women (or teenage girls stealing chocolate from the school up the road, but that's a different kind of shoplifting, that's not serial professional level shoplifting that I'm talking about that we get all the time.), if they're aggressive they'll be skinhead 30-something year old white men like this guy was. Like you can't make this shit up or exaggerate it. It's every single fucking time. Either a drug fucked 30-something year old white guy or a group of 2-3 Maori women. Always. ALWAYS.

But I'm not full time security, and I don't talk to the regional head of security like the full time security staff and I don't have say in regards to things like fixing our security gates, stopping manufacturers putting those security tags on clothing before they even get to the store (it doesn't help, it hinders our job greatly) and getting more cameras and where to put them. And so around $250,000 walks out our doors every year.
Why not write a security protocol based on your ideas and send it to the regional head of security? If he has any decency and if you ideas work you might get promotion, just keep a copy to prove it was you and stop anyone passing it off as their own.

Muffs should be careful about that. Here in the states, usually the higher ups are all buddy buddy and will tell everyone you bypassed that you bypassed them. Then they will be looking for any little reason to get rid of you. I know, because I tried exactly that.
05-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Review today. Lots of praise, no raise.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF