Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
13-05-2017, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2017 08:38 PM by Shai Hulud.)
RE: Ranting corner
(13-05-2017 08:21 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 08:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Pre-Darwin, no one was confused by it..."
Laugh out load
People have been confused by pretty much everything at every point in history.

I would agree. Tongue However, old guy in suit talking to congregation like he's disappointed in them, does not. Laugh out load He was just starting to bash Intelligent Design for being "too scientific" when the episode ended.

Edit: Oh look, the next show is all about how Catholics aren't Christians! Another old monotone white man in a suit is telling me so. Anyhow, off to bed, I have my idolatrous pagan celebration in the morning, since Commencement was during it today.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-05-2017, 11:31 AM
"I didn't mean to offend/hurt you" - can someone explain to me, because I've struggled with this as long as can remember, how is this in any shape or form helpful or supposed to make things better?

No, no I don't believe you meant to offend me, most people don't mean to offend (unless it's me foulmouthing Tomasia, but honestly, can you blame me Rolleyes ) or hurt you. It's EXACTLY because they didn't mean to offend you that it hurts. A "fuck you" I can shrug off without a second (or least a third) thought... but when it's someone's honest opinion and thoughts on a subject/situation/ you/whatever? No, you didn't mean to hurt me, I know, but the very fact that this is what you think is what hurts so much.

(I'm talking about real conversations with real people in your life, not the non-apologies of celebrities after they've said something esp. outrageous.)

I realise this came out waaaaaay more melodramatically than I intended it. To paraphrase the great Feynman, the words were too big for the drama Rolleyes I just meant that I've never understood the "I didn't mean to" excuse (especially since if you said it, chances are you did mean/think it)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
14-05-2017, 11:31 AM
So it's the last day of my vacation and we were supposed to go see the new Guardians movie but instead I'm just sitting at home with some sort of stomach bug or stomach nuisance/disturbance. Sad

14-05-2017, 11:36 AM
(14-05-2017 11:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  "I didn't mean to offend/hurt you" - can someone explain to me, because I've struggled with this as long as can remember, how is this in any shape or form helpful or supposed to make things better?

No, no I don't believe you meant to offend me, most people don't mean to offend (unless it's me foulmouthing Tomasia, but honestly, can you blame me Rolleyes ) or hurt you. It's EXACTLY because they didn't mean to offend you that it hurts. A "fuck you" I can shrug off without a second (or least a third) thought... but when it's someone's honest opinion and thoughts on a subject/situation/ you/whatever? No, you didn't mean to hurt me, I know, but the very fact that this is what you think is what hurts so much.

(I'm talking about real conversations with real people in your life, not the non-apologies of celebrities after they've said something esp. outrageous.)

I realise this came out waaaaaay more melodramatically than I intended it. To paraphrase the great Feynman, the words were too big for the drama Rolleyes I just meant that I've never understood the "I didn't mean to" excuse (especially since if you said it, chances are you did mean/think it)

I get what you mean. I find it even harder when you point out that you swallow your pride and admit that you were hurt/offended and you discover you don't even merit a simple 'I'm sorry'. Undecided You are just expected to forget it and move on like nothing happened.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
14-05-2017, 11:41 AM
(14-05-2017 11:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I get what you mean. I find it even harder when you point out that you swallow your pride and admit that you were hurt/offended and you discover you don't even merit a simple 'I'm sorry'. Undecided You are just expected to forget it and move on like nothing happened.

[Image: hug.gif]

(For the record, I'm not really the ruffling-hair type in real life. A hug will do just fine in most situations Blush )

(But yeah, I hate it when people actually think this is more than enough. I meant it more when they're genuinely sorry... which is sometimes worse. Because in the end you're both sad... Rolleyes )

14-05-2017, 11:43 AM
(14-05-2017 11:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  "I didn't mean to offend/hurt you" - can someone explain to me, because I've struggled with this as long as can remember, how is this in any shape or form helpful or supposed to make things better?

I have developed a subconscious failsafe so that whenever I feel the need to start a sentence with "I don't mean to ...", I shut my piehole. Admittedly, it did take some work. But that pretty much goes for thinking before I talk anyway. It doesn't come natural to me. I'd rather go with the stream of consciousness approach like Trump but it's gotten me in trouble more than once, ... kinda like Trump.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-05-2017, 11:45 AM
(14-05-2017 11:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  To paraphrase the great Feynman, the words were too big for the drama

"Shut up and calculate." - Mermin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Should I bother with seeing Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D? It's only showing at 11:20 and then not again until 4pm.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-05-2017, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2017 12:16 PM by Vera.)
Oh, Girly, my most dearest [Image: hugsmile1.gif~original]

(Heh! That was my 6000th post. How very appropriate!)

14-05-2017, 11:59 AM
(14-05-2017 11:47 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Should I bother with seeing Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D? It's only showing at 11:20 and then not again until 4pm.

I detest 3D it adds little to any film and more often distracts.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post