Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
14-05-2017, 12:10 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(11-05-2017 01:29 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Feeling sick over this reunion thing coming up. I really need to tell my mom that I just can't go and that I'll be too uncomfortable. It'd be a long drive up to Arkansas from Texas, just to be there for the weekend and have my mom's family singing church songs and shit. Confused I told myself that I was "catastrophising" and that it wouldn't be all that bad. That there was more to the family than religion/church. So I had tentatively agreed to go. But that was before my mom asked if they could borrow my keyboard so that my aunt can play hymns and everyone sing along.

Ugh. I do not want to have this conversation. She'll think that my discomfort would be because the holy spirit was convicting me or some such shit. When really it is just that it's all so bizarre to me now and I have nothing in common with these people anymore. Why would I ride in the car all that way just to feel really uncomfortable for the weekend?

But I'm afraid she'll plead with me to go or say it won't be that bad (she has no clue how I feel) or can't I do this for her or maybe cry or who knows. I'd be shocked if she was just like whatevs. I dunno.

[Image: keep-calm-and-just-say-no-10.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
14-05-2017, 01:28 PM
(11-05-2017 01:29 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Feeling sick over this reunion thing coming up. I really need to tell my mom that I just can't go and that I'll be too uncomfortable. It'd be a long drive up to Arkansas from Texas, just to be there for the weekend and have my mom's family singing church songs and shit. Confused I told myself that I was "catastrophising" and that it wouldn't be all that bad. That there was more to the family than religion/church. So I had tentatively agreed to go. But that was before my mom asked if they could borrow my keyboard so that my aunt can play hymns and everyone sing along.

Ugh. I do not want to have this conversation. She'll think that my discomfort would be because the holy spirit was convicting me or some such shit. When really it is just that it's all so bizarre to me now and I have nothing in common with these people anymore. Why would I ride in the car all that way just to feel really uncomfortable for the weekend?

But I'm afraid she'll plead with me to go or say it won't be that bad (she has no clue how I feel) or can't I do this for her or maybe cry or who knows. I'd be shocked if she was just like whatevs. I dunno.

I think ultimately you have to do what you feel the most comfortable with. You can always go and plan on leaving early due to an unforeseen work obligation. Wink That way you make your mom happy without having to go full on jesus.
Find all posts by this user
14-05-2017, 01:31 PM
(14-05-2017 01:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

I think ultimately you have to do what you feel the most comfortable with. You can always go and plan on leaving early due to an unforeseen work obligation. Wink That way you make your mom happy without having to go full on jesus.

Part of the problem is she would be car pooling with her Mother.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-05-2017, 01:35 PM
(14-05-2017 01:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You can always go and plan on leaving early due to an unforeseen work obligation. Wink That way you make your mom happy without having to go full on jesus.

Schedule an unforeseen work obligation Big Grin I like it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-05-2017, 02:53 PM
(14-05-2017 01:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-05-2017 01:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think ultimately you have to do what you feel the most comfortable with. You can always go and plan on leaving early due to an unforeseen work obligation. Wink That way you make your mom happy without having to go full on jesus.

Oh okay, I think if it really stresses you to go and you think it will be too much for you, then I wouldn't go.

But if you think it would make your mom happy and you think you can manage despite some discomfort on your part, then I say go. I think you have to focus on your own mental well-being first and then see how that extends to what you can and can't do in relation to this family get together.

And in making your decision, which situation can you deal with easier-your mom potentially getting upset or having to go to the get together and deal with jesus love. Which scenario would be less stressful for you to ultimately deal with?
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
14-05-2017, 05:01 PM
(14-05-2017 01:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-05-2017 01:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think ultimately you have to do what you feel the most comfortable with. You can always go and plan on leaving early due to an unforeseen work obligation. Wink That way you make your mom happy without having to go full on jesus.

The flu! It's always going around. Don't want to expose a bunch of elderly family members to it.

Cough, cough. Sneeze, sneeze.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
14-05-2017, 05:08 PM
(14-05-2017 11:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-05-2017 11:47 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Should I bother with seeing Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D? It's only showing at 11:20 and then not again until 4pm.

I detest 3D it adds little to any film and more often distracts.

Yeah, we opted for it because it fit better into the overall plans.

It was fun, but I didn't need to see it in 3D. I'm kinda bummed out by it honestly.

So far the only marvel movie I've said I wished I could have seen in 3D was dr strange.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-05-2017, 07:06 PM
I may have found a new Chinese place.
Gonna give her a whirl on Wednesday.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Got work in an hour. Tonight is the night all my subtle planning comes to fruition, I'll either be mildly cheesed off or ecstatic. Either way, I win so it's all good. Unless the third option happens in which case you'll know in about 9 and a half hours when I post in this thread again outlining my disdain for management at work. But I can't see that happening.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-05-2017, 07:14 AM
It was option 4.
Of course, it was option 4. OF FUCKING COURSE!
*insert disgruntled rant here*