Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
15-05-2017, 03:08 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(15-05-2017 02:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In 35 years I've never been to any of my class reunions. I have however crashed the reunions of a bunch of other classes just for the hell of it.

I've never even been invited to any of my class reunions, but I showed up at one of them anyway -- as a roadie for the band they hired (my best friend was a member of said band).

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
15-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Thank god we don't do school reunions so much in the UK.
16-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Fuck this, things are getting progressively worse! Just spent about twenty minutes trying to find out what a "dirt rose" was... before I realised what the sentence actually said was that a mound of dirt rose, as in past form of the verb rise Weeping

I'm pretty sure if someone were to open my head they're going to find a puddle of goo where my brain used to be... Sadcryface

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-05-2017, 10:21 AM
(16-05-2017 10:01 AM)Vera Wrote:  Fuck this, things are getting progressively worse! Just spent about twenty minutes trying to find out what a "dirt rose" was... before I realised what the sentence actually said was that a mound of dirt rose, as in past form of the verb rise Weeping

I'm pretty sure if someone were to open my head they're going to find a puddle of goo where my brain used to be... Sadcryface

I'm familiar with the phrase "dirt rose" as a metaphor for a thing of beauty springing from a pile of shit.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-05-2017, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 11:17 AM by Vera.)
Don't try to make me feel better, Girly, ain't gonna work Sadcryface

Seriously, though, *that*'s why it took me so long to realise 'twas a verb, not a noun. Still:

[Image: L9oQv_s-200x150.gif]

Also: "dai diamanti non nasce niente dal letame nascono i fior" Heart

(Nothing grows out of precious diamonds,
Out of dung, the flowers do grow.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-05-2017, 11:38 AM
It's not a class/school reunion. It is a family reunion.

16-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Oh, and the part Rev was talking about, about how it was implied that he wasn't wanted or welcome - it's because my mom told me that if just me and the kids go on the trip, I won't have to pay for a room at the place we're staying, but if Rev went, I'd have to pay for the room. It did make me mad, but now my brother has a girlfriend and my mom made the same stipulation for the girlfriend, so it feels fair - at least she is treating both our SO's the same way, I guess?

Eh, even if Rev went, I still do not really want to go. I mean, first of all... Arkansas? Blech Sad Though it's been so long since I've been there, maybe it is pretty and I've just forgotten.

16-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Honestly at this point I feel like I am looking for a valid reason to give for not going. Because my just saying "no" doesn't seem to register with certain people. Or they will not take "no" for an answer. Like if I told my mom that I don't want to go, she'll ask why and if I said I just don't want to, she won't let it go at that, I don't think. I have to come up with a reason that is "valid" to her. But I could be overblowing this as usual. I hate shit like this where no matter what decision I make, it'll be stressful.

16-05-2017, 12:23 PM
(16-05-2017 11:48 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Honestly at this point I feel like I am looking for a valid reason to give for not going. Because my just saying "no" doesn't seem to register with certain people. Or they will not take "no" for an answer. Like if I told my mom that I don't want to go, she'll ask why and if I said I just don't want to, she won't let it go at that, I don't think. I have to come up with a reason that is "valid" to her. But I could be overblowing this as usual. I hate shit like this where no matter what decision I make, it'll be stressful.

You can't just tell her the truth, that it stresses you out, will cost a lot and you won't enjoy it?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-05-2017, 02:25 PM
(16-05-2017 11:48 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Honestly at this point I feel like I am looking for a valid reason to give for not going. Because my just saying "no" doesn't seem to register with certain people. Or they will not take "no" for an answer. Like if I told my mom that I don't want to go, she'll ask why and if I said I just don't want to, she won't let it go at that, I don't think. I have to come up with a reason that is "valid" to her. But I could be overblowing this as usual. I hate shit like this where no matter what decision I make, it'll be stressful.

Can you imagine yourself saying no and following that up, if questioned, with a polite but firm "I'm not going to go into the reasons. I hope you have a great time"?

Sounds uncomfortable, right? But will it be as uncomfortable as attending this reunion looks o be? I know it's hard when parents are used to being in authority to break the pattern, but it can be done. If not now, maybe the next time.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post