Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
19-05-2017, 06:08 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Grasshopper and Vera...I am convinced that people are generally so self-absorbed that other people don't even register...the only thing of any importance is what they are doing.

Stopped at a store after work for a couple items (literally three items) and when I returned to my car I couldn't get in it. The woman next to me had her van doors open (on my side) and was apparently having a deep conversation on how to behave with what may have been four little kids. I stood there for a moment figuring maybe she was getting them into car seats and buckled in....nnnnooooo....it's a teaching moment.

Finally she moved out of the way and closed the doors only for me to try to back out with both her cart and a stroller blocking my way.

Just who those kids need to teach them to be mindful of others. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Yeah, but, Anj, I don't think I'm like this (actually, I'm so far afield in the other extreme, I sometimes fear my mere existence is an inconvenience to people Rolleyes ), and I don't consider myself an especially good or unusual person (well, not in this respect anyway Rolleyes ), so...

But yeah, way too many people seem totally oblivious of everybody else...

(Couple of days ago there was this lady carrying a WHOLE lot of flowers, potted, in a cardboard boxes and a bag... and I just... instinctively offered to help her carry them off the bus (no way would she have been able to do it all in one go)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2017, 08:35 AM
So had my first ever religious nut try and convert me today. I know you yanks get this religious shit all the time but here it's so different, I really don't experience anything like it.
Until today. I was working security at work (obviously at work but you know) and this dude came up to me and gave me a flyer for some church. I'm not a rude cunt so I smiled and took it and said thanks. He then asked me if I believed in God, which I, of course, said no, I'm an Atheist. We then proceeded to talk religion and science (he could grasp the concept that Atheism is simply a lack of belief in God and doesn't mean you believe in evolution. But I do believe in evolution so I was happy to talk science and look past his ignorance) for about half an hour. It was actually a rather pleasant conversation. He was very interested in my world view, especially my view on the afterlife (that that's it and I just rot away in the dirt). He gave the classic arguments "but wouldn't you want something to look forward too after you die" and so I gave the classic answers "of course, but that doesn't mean there is something. And besides, I think it's not a bad view to have, your focus becomes about your life and the limited time on this earth than worrying about death".
We talked big bang, morals/laws, afterlife/death, evolution, history and some other topics. It made my boring job rather interesting for a change.

He would ask me something, I would have an answer to it (because he was asking me some pretty basic bitch typical theist shit that's easily debunked/answered) and he wouldn't have a counter to my argument. Like, I don't wanna get my hopes up but I think I actually really made him think and maybe even question his beliefs.

I guarantee he wasn't prepared for my level of knowledge on the topic of religion, history, and science (which is not much compared to others here but compared to a poorly informed theist I'm practically Stephen Hawkings) when he engaged me in conversations in those topics. Not to mention I was doing security for 3 hours so I was bored and had heaps of time AND do you know how long I've been waiting to engage a theist in a conversation in real life face to face?!? so fucking long. It just NEVER happens here.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
20-05-2017, 09:26 AM
(20-05-2017 08:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So had my first ever religious nut try and convert me today. I know you yanks get this religious shit all the time but here it's so different, I really don't experience anything like it.
Until today. I was working security at work (obviously at work but you know) and this dude came up to me and gave me a flyer for some church. I'm not a rude cunt so I smiled and took it and said thanks. He then asked me if I believed in God, which I, of course, said no, I'm an Atheist. We then proceeded to talk religion and science (he could grasp the concept that Atheism is simply a lack of belief in God and doesn't mean you believe in evolution. But I do believe in evolution so I was happy to talk science and look past his ignorance) for about half an hour. It was actually a rather pleasant conversation. He was very interested in my world view, especially my view on the afterlife (that that's it and I just rot away in the dirt). He gave the classic arguments "but wouldn't you want something to look forward too after you die" and so I gave the classic answers "of course, but that doesn't mean there is something. And besides, I think it's not a bad view to have, your focus becomes about your life and the limited time on this earth than worrying about death".
We talked big bang, morals/laws, afterlife/death, evolution, history and some other topics. It made my boring job rather interesting for a change.

He would ask me something, I would have an answer to it (because he was asking me some pretty basic bitch typical theist shit that's easily debunked/answered) and he wouldn't have a counter to my argument. Like, I don't wanna get my hopes up but I think I actually really made him think and maybe even question his beliefs.

I guarantee he wasn't prepared for my level of knowledge on the topic of religion, history, and science (which is not much compared to others here but compared to a poorly informed theist I'm practically Stephen Hawkings) when he engaged me in conversations in those topics. Not to mention I was doing security for 3 hours so I was bored and had heaps of time AND do you know how long I've been waiting to engage a theist in a conversation in real life face to face?!? so fucking long. It just NEVER happens here.

The last time they came by here I told them I'm an atheist (should not have said that) and I'd like to chat, unfortunately the cable guy was here at the moment fixing the TV.
They never came back.
20-05-2017, 09:28 AM
"Every smile is a karmic debt added or repaid and so is every tear." - what the hell does this even MEAN? Facepalm

20-05-2017, 09:35 AM
For goodness sake...it's not really rant worthy probably, but seemingly every tiny thing is happening today already and it's only 10:30am. We have a lot of stop signs in town, no one has stopped at them yet this morning. Log on to my email, secretary sent me a nastygram about how I didn't send in my textbook adoptions to the bookstore; so like I did for the Winter Interim semester, I sent an email to the bookstore with screenshots of the last 3 times I submitted my textbook adoptions for next semester and CCed the secretary. Then get series of nasty texts from guy whose wedding I'm going to be Best Man in, his mother can't just let us wear normal dress shirts, so my $120 one I'd normally wear with a suit is out of the question, but she claims my measurements can't be right, because my neck is too fat for the shirts she's looking at. Then while on the phone with him about that, after he decided to call and lecture at me, campus security shut the door to the main office and came by to lecture me about leaving it open (15 feet down the hallway, and I was printing to the main printer).

(19-05-2017 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Grasshopper and Vera...I am convinced that people are generally so self-absorbed that other people don't even register...the only thing of any importance is what they are doing.

Stopped at a store after work for a couple items (literally three items) and when I returned to my car I couldn't get in it. The woman next to me had her van doors open (on my side) and was apparently having a deep conversation on how to behave with what may have been four little kids. I stood there for a moment figuring maybe she was getting them into car seats and buckled in....nnnnooooo....it's a teaching moment.

Finally she moved out of the way and closed the doors only for me to try to back out with both her cart and a stroller blocking my way.

Not that it helps, but my cousin was able to go to the grocery store alone without her kids or husband for the first time in forever and a 3 year old got out of the van next to hers, saying she wanted to go find her mommy. She convinced her to stay put, and the van locked behind the girl when she shut the door. Then an EMT my cousin knows was like "oh what's going on?" and after talking to my cousin and the little girl, went into the grocery store, and had them page the license plate and make of the van...20 minutes later the mother came out and raged at her three year old, "Where the Hell is your uncle?" and that's when they all found out there was a baby in the van too, for over 20 minutes. So they called the cops and the woman high tailed it out of there.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
20-05-2017, 09:38 AM
(20-05-2017 09:35 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Grasshopper and Vera...I am convinced that people are generally so self-absorbed that other people don't even register...the only thing of any importance is what they are doing.

Not that it helps, but my cousin was able to go to the grocery store alone without her kids or husband for the first time in forever and a 3 year old got out of the van next to hers, saying she wanted to go find her mommy. She convinced her to stay put, and the van locked behind the girl when she shut the door. Then an EMT my cousin knows was like "oh what's going on?" and after talking to my cousin and the little girl, went into the grocery store, and had them page the license plate and make of the van...20 minutes later the mother came out and raged at her three year old, "Where the Hell is your uncle?" and that's when they all found out there was a baby in the van too, for over 20 minutes. So they called the cops and the woman high tailed it out of there.

Further proof of the miracle that I was able to keep three kids alive till adulthood, mostly on my own.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
20-05-2017, 09:43 AM
(20-05-2017 09:38 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Further proof of the miracle that I was able to keep three kids alive till adulthood, mostly on my own.

I figure you were a good mom! (And even if not, you, as far as I know, never locked a 3 year old and a baby in a van in the heat for almost half an hour...)

Need to think of a witty signature.
20-05-2017, 10:11 AM
The lady next to me in line at the bagel shop was pissed that there were no more gourmet cheese bagels while she sneezed all over everyone.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-05-2017, 10:23 AM
(20-05-2017 10:11 AM)jennybee Wrote:  The lady next to me in line at the bagel shop was pissed that there were no more gourmet cheese bagels while she sneezed all over everyone.

And Then There Were None, The Bagel Version (though the recent one with a gorgeous Aidan Turner wasn't too shabby either Rolleyes )

[Image: thewalkingbread_zoomimage_by_teebusters-d5xzhon.png]

[Image: TheWalkingBread.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post