Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-05-2017, 05:48 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(21-05-2017 05:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-05-2017 04:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've determined garage sales aren't worth the effort.

Two days of work and just made a few hundred bucks.

The tax write off would have been better. But at least now we can pay to have the carpets cleaned and maybe rent a larger truck to haul the rest of of shit to the dumps.

I have yet to figure out how people make money having a garage sale. When you factor in the amount of time it takes to get it set up and to sit through it and haggle over 50 cents, it sure seems like a giant waste of time and effort.

If you have really good stuff an estate sale would be the way to go. For everything else...donate and discard are the way to go.

When we moved from Arizona years ago we had a garage sale (my ex's idea). I told him I would help set up then it was all him. I came walking out of the bathroom after taking a shower to find two elderly women going through the kitchen cabinets and making a pile of my dishes and glass cookware. When they saw me they wanted to know how much...I told them we were moving but still planned to eat and also guided them to the door so they could go back outside where the stuff was we were willing to sell. I attempted two garage sales before moving here...yeah...that paid about $.02 per hour of my time (and that's rounding up). Dodgy

Never again.

One person decided to share with me the good news about jebus crisp.

It technically was an estate sale. But yeah you're still taking pennies to avoid hauling if off yourself. One lady offered $10 for a $500 dresser. Yes it's actually worth that too. I was like...no I'll keep it. It's a solid maple Ethan Allen 10 drawer.

Shit we had stuff marked "free" we couldn't give away.

Oh and our shredder croaked.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2017, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2017 06:31 PM by Shai Hulud.)
I am doing my best to stay level headed and remind myself, it's an honor to be the best man in a friend's wedding, but he's making it damn difficult not to quit. Thus far over the course of the engagement: I have been forced to go through item by item to give an opinion on each item for FOUR different wedding registries, totalling almost 800 items. Every idea I've given him for a Bachelor Party has been shot down (and they've all been clean, his soon to be wife would kill me otherwise, and none have involved drinking, because his brothers are underage). I had to take a week out of my two weeks of winter break before the Winter Interim semester to go and do suit shopping and such with him and the groomsmen (in another state, it was fortunate I'd flown to the state next to it to be with my parents for Christmas)...a process which still isn't over, but more on that later. I've had to go through each of the hundreds of engagement photos to help he and bride to be pick out the ones for their Save the Date cards. Had to listen numerous times on the phone to whining. The other day began the saga of a dress shirt for this, with his mother doing the shopping for them still and saying my neck can't be as fat as I gave them, because there are no shirts on the racks with necks that size where she's looked. Now, after he pestered me for new measurements and I got them, he's basically accusing me of lying about them without saying as much because "those aren't the arm sizes you gave me before....". Edit: oh and I've been asked for opinions on the videographer, the cake, the florist, etc. Then they went with the opposite of my opinion, apparently they just want a loyal opposition. Not my wedding, but why the hell ask me if you're just going to automatically do the opposite after forcing me to explain my reasonings?

Oh, also I made a stop out of my way, timed out of my way (nearest men's store that does measurements opened at noon today, and I intended to be at work doing stuff hours before then) by several hours, to get those measurements for him

(21-05-2017 05:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When we moved from Arizona years ago we had a garage sale (my ex's idea). I told him I would help set up then it was all him. I came walking out of the bathroom after taking a shower to find two elderly women going through the kitchen cabinets and making a pile of my dishes and glass cookware. When they saw me they wanted to know how much...I told them we were moving but still planned to eat and also guided them to the door so they could go back outside where the stuff was we were willing to sell. I attempted two garage sales before moving here...yeah...that paid about $.02 per hour of my time (and that's rounding up). Dodgy

Never again.
That reminds me of when my grandmother died. To empty her apartment we put signs up through her building giving a start date and time "no cash, just carry, everything free" with her apartment number as well. Hordes of senior citizens picked the place dry, going through cabinets like it was going out of style.

(21-05-2017 05:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  One person decided to share with me the good news about jebus crisp.

Please tell me you forced that person's face into a pie or something? Sorry, kinda cranky, and would not react well to someone trying to save my soul at the moment.

Also sorry the shredder broke Sad

New edit: He just called and was quite frustrated. And wanted to know if I wanted a collar extender and the shirt his mom found, or would they need to send me a photo and a texture piece so I could find a shirt to match it. and now my cousin's Baptist minister husband is IMing on Facebook. <.<

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
21-05-2017, 06:10 PM
(21-05-2017 05:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-05-2017 05:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have yet to figure out how people make money having a garage sale. When you factor in the amount of time it takes to get it set up and to sit through it and haggle over 50 cents, it sure seems like a giant waste of time and effort.

If you have really good stuff an estate sale would be the way to go. For everything else...donate and discard are the way to go.

When we moved from Arizona years ago we had a garage sale (my ex's idea). I told him I would help set up then it was all him. I came walking out of the bathroom after taking a shower to find two elderly women going through the kitchen cabinets and making a pile of my dishes and glass cookware. When they saw me they wanted to know how much...I told them we were moving but still planned to eat and also guided them to the door so they could go back outside where the stuff was we were willing to sell. I attempted two garage sales before moving here...yeah...that paid about $.02 per hour of my time (and that's rounding up). Dodgy

Never again.

One person decided to share with me the good news about jebus crisp.

It technically was an estate sale. But yeah you're still taking pennies to avoid hauling if off yourself. One lady offered $10 for a $500 dresser. Yes it's actually worth that too. I was like...no I'll keep it. It's a solid maple Ethan Allen 10 drawer.

Shit we had stuff marked "free" we couldn't give away.

Oh and our shredder croaked.

Man there hasn't been a good Shredder since Mako died.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-05-2017, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2017 07:01 PM by Vera.)
(21-05-2017 05:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  shredder croaked.

Say it ain't so Sadcryface2

[Image: latest?cb=20130919210006]

(If you can actually have a crush-let on a cartoon character, I might've had one tiny one on Shredder... Of course, seeing as the rest of the characters were various fauna, I wasn't exactly spoilt for choice, you know Rolleyes )

You've come the most rightest place, then, Shai. I can guarantee that no one's gonna try and save your soul here Big Grin

Well, no one who actually matters anyway Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
21-05-2017, 06:53 PM
(21-05-2017 05:51 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I am doing my best to stay level headed and remind myself, it's an honor to be the best man in a friend's wedding, but he's making it damn difficult not to quit. Thus far over the course of the engagement: I have been forced to go through item by item to give an opinion on each item for FOUR different wedding registries, totalling almost 800 items. Every idea I've given him for a Bachelor Party has been shot down (and they've all been clean, his soon to be wife would kill me otherwise, and none have involved drinking, because his brothers are underage). I had to take a week out of my two weeks of winter break before the Winter Interim semester to go and do suit shopping and such with him and the groomsmen (in another state, it was fortunate I'd flown to the state next to it to be with my parents for Christmas)...a process which still isn't over, but more on that later. I've had to go through each of the hundreds of engagement photos to help he and bride to be pick out the ones for their Save the Date cards. Had to listen numerous times on the phone to whining. The other day began the saga of a dress shirt for this, with his mother doing the shopping for them still and saying my neck can't be as fat as I gave them, because there are no shirts on the racks with necks that size where she's looked. Now, after he pestered me for new measurements and I got them, he's basically accusing me of lying about them without saying as much because "those aren't the arm sizes you gave me before....". Edit: oh and I've been asked for opinions on the videographer, the cake, the florist, etc. Then they went with the opposite of my opinion, apparently they just want a loyal opposition. Not my wedding, but why the hell ask me if you're just going to automatically do the opposite after forcing me to explain my reasonings?

Oh, also I made a stop out of my way, timed out of my way (nearest men's store that does measurements opened at noon today, and I intended to be at work doing stuff hours before then) by several hours, to get those measurements for him

I thought bridesmaids had it bad...good grief that's a lot of BS to go through to be in his wedding.

Bridesmaids generally get stuck with horrifying dresses and shoes that cost too much and can't ever be worn anywhere again...not that you would want to. Then there's hair and makeup and nails, the bridal shower, the bachelorette party (which wasn't a thing back when I had a big wedding).

This newish trend is as silly to me as coed baby showers. Do men really want to play party games that involve things like diaper rash ointment and nursing bras? NVM, some are probably into that kind of thing. Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-05-2017, 07:19 PM
(21-05-2017 06:44 PM)Vera Wrote:  Of course, seeing as the rest of the characters were various fauna, I wasn't exactly spoilt for choice, you know Rolleyes )

You've come the most rightest place, then, Shai. I can guarantee that no one's gonna try and save your soul here Big Grin

Well, no one who actually matters anyway Drinking Beverage

Today I Learned Vera is not a furry. (Not that I had ever thought so, but still.)

And thanks. Smile Now that you've said that, random drive by theist #45701 should be by any second...and I nearly typed a joke, but realized it would be blasphemous.

(21-05-2017 06:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I thought bridesmaids had it bad...good grief that's a lot of BS to go through to be in his wedding.

Bridesmaids generally get stuck with horrifying dresses and shoes that cost too much and can't ever be worn anywhere again...not that you would want to. Then there's hair and makeup and nails, the bridal shower, the bachelorette party (which wasn't a thing back when I had a big wedding).

This newish trend is as silly to me as coed baby showers. Do men really want to play party games that involve things like diaper rash ointment and nursing bras? NVM, some are probably into that kind of thing. Confused

Omg...he just texted, "Also what's your plan for wedding dress shoes?" Otherwise, being a bridesmaid sounds absolutely awful. Sad At least the groom in this one said suits instead of tuxes so we can wear them again, unlike the poor bridesmaids. And thanks, my mother has previously told me she's never heard of a groomsman having to do so much prior to the wedding.

I've been to a co-ed baby shower before for my best friend, but luckily our part was, "[Shai] go play video games with him upstairs so he doesn't bug us." Smile

21-05-2017, 07:34 PM
(21-05-2017 07:19 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Today I Learned Vera is not a furry. (Not that I had ever thought so, but still.)

I didn't even know what a furry was until very very recently. Can't say I was exactly thrilled to learn, either.

Kinkwise I'm as boring as they come. I get more than my fair share from my books, thank you very muchly Dodgy

(Also, I kinda think life and the universe are more fascinating and strange, and wondrous than even our wildest imaginings, so the appeal of any roleplaying is kinda lost on me Blush )

Quote:and I nearly typed a joke, but realized it would be blasphemous.

But I say unto you, that whosoever thinketh of a blasphemous joke hath committed blasphemy already in his heart. Smartass

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-05-2017, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2017 08:44 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(21-05-2017 07:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  I didn't even know what a furry was until very very recently. Can't say I was exactly thrilled to learn, either.

Not my scene either. Though there are people in some of the fandoms I enjoy who are, and it kind of creeps me out. Not necessarily all furries, just some of the ones whom I know.

Quote:and I nearly typed a joke, but realized it would be blasphemous.

But I say unto you, that whosoever thinketh of a blasphemous joke hath committed blasphemy already in his heart. Smartass
[/quote]
If we go by the standards of how lust is described as a sin, that's probably true. Sad Though would pub trivia with atheists on the Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord be blasphemous as well, because I'm so tempted.

21-05-2017, 09:30 PM
I'm done....

I'm exhausted.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-05-2017, 09:40 PM
(21-05-2017 08:20 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(21-05-2017 07:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  I didn't even know what a furry was until very very recently. Can't say I was exactly thrilled to learn, either.

Not my scene either. Though there are people in some of the fandoms I enjoy who are, and it kind of creeps me out. Not necessarily all furries, just some of the ones whom I know.
I used to know lots of furries. If it helps, I saw some really creepy and illegal shit in the furry world. Glad I no longer associate with them.

On another note, some people love to shove their noses where it shouldn't be. I have a friend; let's call her Sloane. Known her for years. She's a great girl, and we get along great. She's confided in me about things that she's maybe told one other person.

When she texts me, she'll often include numerous hearts. To me and others she says things like I'm awesome, I'm her hero, she loves me, etc. Ah, see, that's where people jump on it. Immediately some say Sloane is The One. I explain that no, she's not in love. Big difference. Couple days ago I attended her college graduation, so guess what fucking topic has resurfaced...
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post