Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
26-05-2017, 12:30 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(26-05-2017 12:24 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 12:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Shai, this really sounds like an HR issue to me. Go there and tell them what transpired.
I totally agree with this

HR is not going to do anything. HR departments are filled with lazy sycophants whose primary goals are to come in late, leave early, take long lunches and sell their son's/daughter's chocolate bars for the upcoming school trip fundraiser. HR is where unprofessionals go to pretend they are professional.

If you think HR is your friend, you're sorely mistaken.

[/rant]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2017, 12:32 PM
(26-05-2017 12:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I'm kinda pissed at our secretary. She's yelled at me now three times this week. The first was over the door and her butterfly (mentioned in the Leave a Message thread). The second was over not shutting the main office door when I didn't realize she was in there and I should have (even though the rule has been all two years here, to keep it open if anyone is in the hallway). And now she just sent me a very nasty, rude, and unprofessional email about how my desk is "piled high with junk", and "none of us should have to touch your dirty clothing"...it's a spare set I keep in the office, usually under the desk, but everything was moved on top due to the waxing. And basically just slamming my personal hygiene for two solid paragraphs.

Hey Secretary...the feet stinking? It's a medical condition I use medicated powder for. Also I shower and brush my teeth daily, wear deodorant (and keep a spare stick and two cans of body spray in the office), change my clothing daily, etc. Also, the stuff is on the desk because you said nothing on the floor, but on the furniture would be fine. Btw, I buy Renuzit air fresheners for my office *weekly* to keep it smelling okay...no small feat considering the temperature in this office runs between 75 and 90 degrees on any given day because facilities keeps it at that, which is ten degrees higher than every other office on this floor. Also I've asked a few coworkers from other departments, as well as friends in the private sector, all of them feel your email was "radically inappropriate" to quote one.

She sounds like a piece of work. I am sorry she treated you that way. IMO, when people treat others in a nasty way it's usually more about them than it is about you. That said, her behavior was radically inappropriate and as her boss, I would certainly talk to her about it. I know it will be hard but try and keep your emotions out of it, handle it professionally, and document (for your own records) what transpired.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-05-2017, 12:37 PM
(26-05-2017 12:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 12:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I'm kinda pissed at our secretary. She's yelled at me now three times this week. The first was over the door and her butterfly (mentioned in the Leave a Message thread). The second was over not shutting the main office door when I didn't realize she was in there and I should have (even though the rule has been all two years here, to keep it open if anyone is in the hallway). And now she just sent me a very nasty, rude, and unprofessional email about how my desk is "piled high with junk", and "none of us should have to touch your dirty clothing"...it's a spare set I keep in the office, usually under the desk, but everything was moved on top due to the waxing. And basically just slamming my personal hygiene for two solid paragraphs.

Hey Secretary...the feet stinking? It's a medical condition I use medicated powder for. Also I shower and brush my teeth daily, wear deodorant (and keep a spare stick and two cans of body spray in the office), change my clothing daily, etc. Also, the stuff is on the desk because you said nothing on the floor, but on the furniture would be fine. Btw, I buy Renuzit air fresheners for my office *weekly* to keep it smelling okay...no small feat considering the temperature in this office runs between 75 and 90 degrees on any given day because facilities keeps it at that, which is ten degrees higher than every other office on this floor. Also I've asked a few coworkers from other departments, as well as friends in the private sector, all of them feel your email was "radically inappropriate" to quote one.

She sounds like a piece of work. I am sorry she treated you that way. IMO, when people treat others in a nasty way it's usually more about them than it is about you. That said, her behavior was radically inappropriate and as her boss, I would certainly talk to her about it. I know it will be hard but try and keep your emotions out of it, handle it professionally, and document (for your own records) what transpired.

'Our' secretary implies that she is part of a department. The department head should be made aware of her outburst and her hateful manner of speaking to you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
26-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Thanks all. She and the Department Chair are very friendly, and she's outlasted (six I believe) faculty members here now, who have left for other positions. I'm leery of going to HR, because I'm afraid I'm the one who would get in trouble somehow, since she knows everyone on campus, or because if they do nothing, then I'll have made a powerful enemy. (Did I mention she didn't show up at 7am on her Summer Hours all this week?)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2017, 12:44 PM
(26-05-2017 12:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 12:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  She sounds like a piece of work. I am sorry she treated you that way. IMO, when people treat others in a nasty way it's usually more about them than it is about you. That said, her behavior was radically inappropriate and as her boss, I would certainly talk to her about it. I know it will be hard but try and keep your emotions out of it, handle it professionally, and document (for your own records) what transpired.

'Our' secretary implies that she is part of a department. The department head should be made aware of her outburst and her hateful manner of speaking to you.

This is a good point. I'm not sure what set up you have there, Shai, but I would definitely follow the proper channels (whatever they may be) and get this taken care of.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-05-2017, 12:45 PM
(26-05-2017 12:43 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks all. She and the Department Chair are very friendly, and she's outlasted (six I believe) faculty members here now, who have left for other positions. I'm leery of going to HR, because I'm afraid I'm the one who would get in trouble somehow, since she knows everyone on campus, or because if they do nothing, then I'll have made a powerful enemy. (Did I mention she didn't show up at 7am on her Summer Hours all this week?)

Dandy...a workplace bully with no supervision.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
26-05-2017, 12:46 PM
(26-05-2017 12:43 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks all. She and the Department Chair are very friendly, and she's outlasted (six I believe) faculty members here now, who have left for other positions. I'm leery of going to HR, because I'm afraid I'm the one who would get in trouble somehow, since she knows everyone on campus, or because if they do nothing, then I'll have made a powerful enemy. (Did I mention she didn't show up at 7am on her Summer Hours all this week?)

Meh, just wipe your stinky feet all over her butterfly decor Laugh out load KIDDING Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-05-2017, 12:47 PM
I would say keep notes on days, times, and EXACTLY what she said to you starting now.

In the meantime...kill her with kindness.

Evil_monster

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-05-2017, 12:47 PM
(26-05-2017 12:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 12:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  'Our' secretary implies that she is part of a department. The department head should be made aware of her outburst and her hateful manner of speaking to you.

This is a good point. I'm not sure what set up you have there, Shai, but I would definitely follow the proper channels (whatever they may be) and get this taken care of.

I'm wondering what those would be though at this point. Sad

(26-05-2017 12:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Dandy...a workplace bully with no supervision.

Essentially.

26-05-2017, 12:49 PM
(26-05-2017 12:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I would say keep notes on days, times, and EXACTLY what she said to you starting now.

In the meantime...kill her with kindness.

Evil_monster

I *have* been nothing buy kind to her. Dodgy And I am keeping track, starting with the stuff this week.