Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
30-05-2017, 07:32 AM
RE: Ranting corner
So, I rode with a friend from Madison to Milwaukee Saturday night to go to a concert (Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra playing Mahler's 3rd symphony), and it was a great concert. But then we hit a deer on the way home. Fortunately, nobody was hurt (except the deer -- 70 mph head-on collision, I'm pretty sure the deer ain't gonna make it), but his car sustained considerable damage. Surprisingly, we were still able to drive, but not for very long, because the radiator was "compromised". So we pulled over at the first service station we came to, made the necessary calls, etc.

One problem is that the car had to be towed somewhere, but where? Ideally to a body shop, but this was late Saturday night (close to midnight) on a holiday weekend -- ain't nobody gonna be open until Tuesday morning. But my friend will deal with that one way or another -- it's his car, and his insurance will cover everything. Fortunately, the state trooper who came to make a police report gave us a ride to my friend's house, and he gave me a ride home in his other vehicle. I suspect the one we were driving is totaled -- it will at least need a new hood and radiator.

Worst thing for me is that I didn't get to bed until 1:30 AM (my normal bedtime is around 8:30 PM), and spent the rest of the holiday weekend recovering from that. I hardly did any of the things I was planning to do. But at least I don't have a wrecked car to deal with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
30-05-2017, 10:40 AM
What the fuck do you think you're doing??? Seriously..!

You've got a warm, wonderful, sexy and willing wife crawling into bed with you every night, and you want to risk it for a roll with some 24-year-old?

I don't care if she's leading you on. Makes no difference how vulnerable and cute she is.

Get a grip. Man up. Control yourself. Those emotions aren't doing you any good.
30-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Monday...no Tuesday that just acts like it.

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-05-2017, 12:34 PM
(29-05-2017 09:00 PM)Aliza Wrote:  OMG I'm so fucking mad. Angry

Hug

(30-05-2017 05:52 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(28-05-2017 12:52 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  My mother was pretty upset they've changed the rules for grief dinners at her church (the funeral dinners they do). I can't blame her, because quite frankly it's rather draconian now. Basically you have to be a church member to have a funeral dinner, and at least some of your family members have to be members as well; previously, if a church member had a close relative die, they'd do the funeral dinner.

So to give an example...when my grandmother died, her church didn't even offer to do a funeral dinner, they didn't care. My mom's church however, where my aunt and mother are both members, held one for our grieving extended family. Under the new rules, that wouldn't happen. They just turned down a guy who is a member, whose sister died unexpectedly, for a funeral dinner for his family, because his sister wasn't a member of the church.

Really makes me upset and angry on his behalf, and on behalf of all those they're going to hurt through their callous and un-Christian actions. My mother was quite upset as well, arguing with the committee that changed the rules that they've got the biggest budget of any group in the church, because pretty much the only thing people donate money to is the funeral dinner fund.

Precisely why I would bet they plan to use that money for other things. Hopefully this will lead people to see the light. Realize that religions are really just big business scams.

I'll be interested to see if the money is somehow moved from one fund to another, because currently it's not allowed to be done so under their rules. But given the change in the rules on who gets a dinner...

(30-05-2017 07:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  So, I rode with a friend from Madison to Milwaukee Saturday night to go to a concert (Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra playing Mahler's 3rd symphony), and it was a great concert. But then we hit a deer on the way home. Fortunately, nobody was hurt (except the deer -- 70 mph head-on collision, I'm pretty sure the deer ain't gonna make it), but his car sustained considerable damage. Surprisingly, we were still able to drive, but not for very long, because the radiator was "compromised". So we pulled over at the first service station we came to, made the necessary calls, etc.

One problem is that the car had to be towed somewhere, but where? Ideally to a body shop, but this was late Saturday night (close to midnight) on a holiday weekend -- ain't nobody gonna be open until Tuesday morning. But my friend will deal with that one way or another -- it's his car, and his insurance will cover everything. Fortunately, the state trooper who came to make a police report gave us a ride to my friend's house, and he gave me a ride home in his other vehicle. I suspect the one we were driving is totaled -- it will at least need a new hood and radiator.

Worst thing for me is that I didn't get to bed until 1:30 AM (my normal bedtime is around 8:30 PM), and spent the rest of the holiday weekend recovering from that. I hardly did any of the things I was planning to do. But at least I don't have a wrecked car to deal with.

Holy crap. Glad you two were physically fine though, even at slow speeds, deer are no joke, let alone 70mph!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
30-05-2017, 01:07 PM
(30-05-2017 12:34 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 07:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  So, I rode with a friend from Madison to Milwaukee Saturday night to go to a concert (Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra playing Mahler's 3rd symphony), and it was a great concert. But then we hit a deer on the way home. Fortunately, nobody was hurt (except the deer -- 70 mph head-on collision, I'm pretty sure the deer ain't gonna make it), but his car sustained considerable damage. Surprisingly, we were still able to drive, but not for very long, because the radiator was "compromised". So we pulled over at the first service station we came to, made the necessary calls, etc.

Holy crap. Glad you two were physically fine though, even at slow speeds, deer are no joke, let alone 70mph!

Yeah, it happened so fast that I didn't even know what happened until it was all over, but it occurred to me that the deer could have come through the windshield, or our car could have lost control and flipped/rolled (it was a small Mazda Miata convertible), or any number of other terrible things. We were probably lucky that it wasn't worse. My dad would have said that God was looking out for us (he actually did say that once when I got hit by a car while riding my bike -- the bike was totaled but I was fine), but I would make the same reply I made then: why didn't God just stop the car/deer from hitting me/us?
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
30-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Well, this will be interesting

The man told me that if I cook chicken one more time he's going to seriously kill me.

I'd better think of something super interesting to do with boneless, skinless chicken thighs that are right now sitting in the fridge in the garage.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-05-2017, 02:14 PM
(30-05-2017 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Well, this will be interesting

The man told me that if I cook chicken one more time he's going to seriously kill me.

I'd better think of something super interesting to do with boneless, skinless chicken thighs that are right now sitting in the fridge in the garage.

Serve it to him raw. He didn't say anything about that!

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
30-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Tandoori Chicken Wraps?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-05-2017, 03:45 PM
(30-05-2017 02:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Tandoori Chicken Wraps?

I found a recipe for some garlic lemon chicken. Served with sugar snap peas, spinach and a little mint

If it's good and different enough I might live.

Honestly my head was obviously detached from my hands when I reached dose the most boring flavorless cut of chicken ever. And it's one of those super packs. Facepalm

So I might consider the tandori idea for tomorrow

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Chicken curry Smile Also good.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.