Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
11-06-2017, 09:36 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(11-06-2017 08:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 11:13 AM)Vera Wrote:  What fucked up language doesn't have a proper word for boyfriend/girlfriend? I'll tell you what - mine! Angry

We use the word friend and we have another one (of gypsy origin I think) which works in less formal situations but is not quite what I need when I'm translating. The word "friend" kinda works for straight relationships (as words in Bulgarian have gender and if you use a definite article it becomes clear we're talking about a bf/gf) but when it's a gay couple it's way too vague.

How can a language *not* have a word for this!

[Image: mad_2011.gif]

Couple???

Smartass

I was going to say, dearest or sweetheart or lover, perhaps? I would think it can't be too formal or even overly sexual rather, indicative of a more innocent romantic relationship.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2017, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 11:08 PM by Vera.)
(11-06-2017 08:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Couple???

Smartass

They're not Siamese twins, you know? A couple does consist of two separate human beings, you know? I sometimes need to refer to just one of them, you know?

A couple, forsooth Dodgy

[Image: 0c074c41006a2eb379716c96012cfd049ce252b5...be0d32.jpg]

Kimmie, I literally need to say his boyfriend. Nothing more, nothing less. And we only have the word friend, which, when used with a definite article does imply bf/gf, but in a same-sex couple it's sometimes vaguer. And the other word is... not always what I need. Might have to rewrite the language Dodgy

Oh, an extra mini rant - our word for lover pretty much implies people who are having an affair, specifically, a forbidden one (like married people, etc.) I fucking hate my language sometimes. Didn't someone mention something about a rewrite or am I imagining things... again? Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-06-2017, 05:29 AM
(11-06-2017 08:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Having an issue so googling it and finding posts from people with the same problem, reading the replies to said post and it's just pages and pages of "me too" but never any answers.
Happens sooooooooooooooooo much with any issue. So annoying, yea cool I get it everyone has the same issue, now what's the fucking solution?

I've got the same problem.

Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Omfg I need bleach for my eyes....

I need to unsee something....

And I can't.

Omfg

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-06-2017, 07:06 PM
[Image: fa7de9d27b2a0e428d3371b81a6ff31c.jpg]

Just keep pressing, just keep pressing, momsy!

[Image: H3BVKsh.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
13-06-2017, 03:03 AM
Day 175: I have discovered this guy at work, whom I really like, plays League of Legends.

Day 1: I have started playing League of Legends.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
13-06-2017, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 10:08 AM by Heath_Tierney.)
I had made arrangements to meet my SO at a local coffee shop. When I arrived she texted me saying she'd be a bit late, so to pass the time I made some brief notes on how bicyclists were behaving on city streets within my field of view.

Out of the 68 adult cyclists I saw and noted, 46 of them - that's almost 70% - were doing something illegal. The infractions included:
  • riding on the sidewalk
  • running red lights
  • wrong way down one-way street
  • riding through the pedestrian crosswalk
  • lane-splitting (it's illegal here, though it is legal in some jurisdictions)
  • on the phone while riding
  • weaving in and out of traffic
  • entering the roadway between parked cars
  • turning without signalling
  • riding two abreast
Number of tickets issued: zero

I like cycling as much as the next guy, but the vast majority of cyclists make us all look bad. How they continue to get away with these things is just more proof that the war on cars continues, despite what some politicians say.

[/rant]

*edited for link*
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
13-06-2017, 10:23 AM
(13-06-2017 03:03 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Day 175: I have discovered this guy at work, whom I really like, plays League of Legends.

Day 1: I have started playing League of Legends.

Good luck Mr.Muffs, I'm hoping it works out well for you.
13-06-2017, 10:50 AM
(13-06-2017 10:04 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I had made arrangements to meet my SO at a local coffee shop. When I arrived she texted me saying she'd be a bit late, so to pass the time I made some brief notes on how bicyclists were behaving on city streets within my field of view.

Out of the 68 adult cyclists I saw and noted, 46 of them - that's almost 70% - were doing something illegal. The infractions included:
  • riding on the sidewalk
  • running red lights
  • wrong way down one-way street
  • riding through the pedestrian crosswalk
  • lane-splitting (it's illegal here, though it is legal in some jurisdictions)
  • on the phone while riding
  • weaving in and out of traffic
  • entering the roadway between parked cars
  • turning without signalling
  • riding two abreast
Number of tickets issued: zero

I like cycling as much as the next guy, but the vast majority of cyclists make us all look bad. How they continue to get away with these things is just more proof that the war on cars continues, despite what some politicians say.

[/rant]

*edited for link*

I agree with almost all of this (especially the part about scofflaw cyclists giving us all a bad name -- this is one of my pet peeves), but riding two abreast is actually not illegal, unless you're impeding traffic. I do it all the time, but most of my rides are on deserted roads out in the country. When traffic appears, one of us will pull ahead or drop behind to give the cars more room. But it's impractical to ride single file all the time, as it makes conversation all but impossible. In the city or on a busy highway, riding two abreast is impractical, and there we will ride single file. So it's a situational thing. In general, I tend to avoid roads that have enough traffic to make single file a necessity.
13-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Soooooo frustrated!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces