Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-06-2017, 02:04 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(24-06-2017 01:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Congrats to your son! Thumbsup

Thanks he was really happy, and his teachers had nothing but good things to say and also that he has to get into the drama program next year because she said he's got a natural talent for it Smile

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
24-06-2017, 03:02 PM
Every now and then, I have too much patience.

But, wait... nope, there it goes. No more patience.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
24-06-2017, 11:02 PM
We lost power for a few hours. A transformer blew...it made the oddest sound...like something was dying...it was smoking so a neighbor called the fire department.

Did I mention the temperatures were 100?

It got to 84 inside the house when the power came back on.

Right now it's 78 inside...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-06-2017, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2017 10:39 AM by Shai Hulud.)
Was just wall of texting a friend with rants because I was listening to This American Life on NPR...and holy shit. There's a school district in New York where Hassidic Jews and the School Board had a...gentlemen's agreement...shall we say. The Board didn't call the state on Yeshivas (private Jewish schools) not meeting bare minimum educational standards, and the Jewish community kept paying its property taxes to fund the public school system (like all of us do, including those of us, like myself, without kids. It's part of the fucking Social Contract). What ended up happening though was a Far Right Wet Dream.

Anyhow, local Hassidic community wanted the school board to break federal law and give tax money directly to their private religious schools/Yeshivas, saying special ed students shouldn't have to mix with non-Hassidics. Federal law states, apparently, that you're supposed to meet certain standards for special ed funding and facilities, which the Yeshivas didn't. When the district refused, they started literally busing in people to vote until they had a majority on that area's school board. They cut extracurricular activities from sports to the arts, diverted funds to themselves, started closing public schools down, started passing ordinances to drastically cut public school funding. Then started holding private closed session meetings late at night so the non-Jews couldn't speak at the some of the School Board meetings.

Then they brought in a lawyer to do some stuff so the Jewish majority on the school board could sell the closed schools to the Yeshivas, and began to exploit a loophole to divert a lot of money to their private schools, then the Hassids cut 25% of the district's staff.

"So many teachers were laid off, the students began to have trouble having enough classes in high school to fill their schedules so they could graduate." the host says, and then one local student talking to host is like, "Here's a schedule, we have 8 periods. This person had 4 lunches and 2 study halls." A Board member (by this point, all Hassidic Jews who didn't believe in paying for public education), said it had to be a fabrication.

"One Hassidic Board member when asked about negotiating with the public school parents asked, 'why would we negotiate? We have all the power.'" after public school advocates brought in an attorney who had served in the IDF, figuring he was a person both sides could respect.

The Board President wrote a letter to the local newspaper saying this is all revenge for taking their money through property taxes to fund schools they don't use. The new lawyer they hired for the Board would scream at public school parents and students, including yelling at an honor roll high school student, "you piece of shit! You want a piece of me?"

At another point a lawyer from the same firm waited to ambush people coming out of the board meeting in his car, blocked some public school parents in and began to shout (if I got through the bleeping right, could be a bit off), "What the fuck you think you're doing rolling your eyes at me in there you fat fucking bitch? Fuck you. Fuck you. You all can't do anything to me, I don't work for you, I work for the School Board."

One guy who once said the Board members were "washing their hands" of an issue and ran for Board, the Hassidic community began to run attack ads on his school board campaign. One said the phrase was "coded anti-Semitism" and began to show footage of Nazis goose-stepping. Another attack ad against him compared him to Hitler and talked about concentration camps.

Like everyone who speaks out against the Board doing blatantly illegal things was labeled by the Board as "anti-Semitic". One guy they played a clip of, on the School Board, said "if you don't like this, find another place to live, this is America" after telling a student who said she wanted funding for her public school that people like her and those who supported her led to the ovens of Auschwitz.

And one of the pro-public school folks says that yes, anti-Semitism can be a problem, he's had to tell people shouting "fuck Jews" to shut up. Which I can believe, this whole story is practically a KKK recruiting ad/wet dream of, "Look at the greedy Jews who are forcing children to be ignorant." Or at least that's how the Klan would spin it. Sad

"The state audited the school board and found discrepancies in the millions of dollars." says the host. "The School Board President said, 'The state is acceding to the demands of bigots and normally prejudice'." or something along those lines.

The thing is, this whole thing seems like an extreme example of what a lot of Evangelical Christians are doing in school boards across the U.S. So it's an extreme example of a different faith, but the same sort of tactics and such. The same ideas. It's pretty much a great example of why church and state should remain separated.

Also their post-script was, "Since we first aired this story in 2014, the New York state legislature passed a bill that they must approve this school district's budget themselves, following the chronic mismanagement".

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
25-06-2017, 01:08 PM
We had a lot of rain here Friday night into Saturday. The soil here is black clay and is sticky as hell. I let the dogs out after making them wait as long they could. Karma stays on the grass or the pavement around the pool...Ziggy, however, looks for mud. There is a patch of it to one side of the patio and where we used to have a shed over the pool equipment. His feet were so packed with sticky, black clay that I had to use the garden hose with a sprayer attachment to get it off him. What a damn mess!

I have a feeling it won't be the only time today that I have to pressure wash him. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-06-2017, 01:23 PM
People selling cheap shit jewelry on fb. Then the endless posts, "what are you wearing today?"

Bitch I own three pieces of real jewelry and wear the same thing everyday.

Those two of the three good pieces combined cost less than the amount of money you've dumped into your business. The third piece you can't even begin to touch and I'm not even considering trading it for the "snap" crap you're hawking.

That shit is fucking ugly.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-06-2017, 01:35 PM
(25-06-2017 01:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  People selling cheap shit jewelry on fb. Then the endless posts, "what are you wearing today?"

Those two of the three good pieces combined cost less than the amount of money you've dumped into your business. The third piece you can't even begin to touch and I'm not even considering trading it for the "snap" crap you're hawking.

Moms, where do you know my ex-boss's wife from? Blink

(She's also the type of person who studied "dreamer at the stars" Facepalm )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
25-06-2017, 01:51 PM
(25-06-2017 01:35 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-06-2017 01:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  People selling cheap shit jewelry on fb. Then the endless posts, "what are you wearing today?"

Moms, where do you know my ex-boss's wife from? Blink

(She's also the type of person who studied "dreamer at the stars" Facepalm )

It amazes me that people spend good money on this crap! The idea is that you change the look every day. But they encourage layering of the snap crap...they end up looking more like this...

[Image: 7856b9b07360145a708915178e48e526.gif]

[Image: free-snap-2_orig.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Yikes! I think my boss's wife stuff is (marginally) better, but still... Luckily, her husband makes enough money to rent a studio for her right smack in the centre of Sofia and to allow her to spend the whole summer at a rather chic (think rural, underpopulated chic) seaside resort/village in Bulgaria*, doing her "art". She's not a stupid woman by any means, but the levels of cutesy mush she reaches (especially for a woman well into her forties) are slightly diabetic coma inducing

* Coincidentally, I spent one summer in that village, working as a receptionist in a hotel. Interesting work, most atrociously stupid coworkers I've ever had (had to live with them too!)

[Image: %D0%A1%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%...0%B0-1.jpg]

Left side is the sea, right side - a river. It's a really beautiful place.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
25-06-2017, 03:21 PM

I have no interest in picking out, buying, and coordinating jewelry. I don't even wear earrings any more and when I did it was either diamond studs or small gold hoops. I wear my wedding band and for our 25th anniversary in February I got a solitaire with a wrap band. I'd have been quite content with just the solitaire...in fact, I would have been fine just wearing my wedding band.

I do have one ring that is missing a diamond...a casualty of moving. One day I might have a new stone mounted in it...it is pretty. Or, it was before the center stone went missing.

It takes me all of five minutes to get dressed in the morning, another 15 to do my hair and makeup, and I don't intend to add selecting jewelry to the time I spend getting ready for work.

I also don't get women who have a closet full of purses that they switch constantly. Screw that. I have what I need in my purse and when that purse starts looking worn out I pour it all into a new purse.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat