Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
11-07-2017, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 09:46 AM by Aliza.)
RE: Ranting corner
Follow up rant regarding my random thought about fake teeth: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pid1211848

I do not have a perfect smile. –But to be fair, I also don’t have a terrible smile. I’m not missing teeth, I don’t have teeth sticking out at odd angles and my teeth are straight enough to pass for normal.

… But I don’t have a beautiful smile, and it’s something I’ve been thinking of addressing for a few years. Over the last two years, I’ve noticed the bottom row starting overlap, so braces will be appropriate to prevent a much bigger problem. I’ve also got teeth that are of different lengths and long, sharp, pointy K-9’s. Yes, I’m a good candidate for cosmetic dentistry.

I went into a cosmetic dentist to get a quote, and he and his nurses all have these huge, fake, ultra-white veneers.

[Image: gary_busey_chiclets.jpg]

His staff performs a typical cleaning and x-ray and he comes in and tells me I have healthy teeth, but that I need veneers to fix my problem. He gives me a quote for +$40K for “uppers and lowers”. I’m thinking, Dr. Dipshit, you just said my teeth are healthy. Why would I spend that much money to cover them all up so I can look like I’ve pasted chiclets over my teeth? I’m looking for a little orthodontic work and to even out of the length of a few teeth.

And then the fucker balance billed me because my insurance didn’t cover the costs of the orchids and the waterfall he has in his waiting room.

So I went to another dentist who quoted me $180 per tooth to even out (I need four, but at that price, I can afford to be neurotic and fix more), and $500 for a little tooth whitening. He said I’d have to make an appointment with the orthodontist for a quote on the braces, but some online searching suggests that the cost would be a few thousand dollars, not 40-fucking-thousand dollars.

And, my teeth would look like my teeth instead of Gary Busey’s teeth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
11-07-2017, 09:35 AM
(11-07-2017 09:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Follow up rant regarding my random thought about fake teeth: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pid1211848

I do not have a perfect smile. –But to be fair, I also don’t have a terrible smile. I’m not missing teeth, I don’t have teeth sticking out at odd angles and my teeth are straight enough to pass for normal.

… But I don’t have a beautiful smile, and it’s something I’ve been thinking of addressing for a few years. Over the last two years, I’ve noticed the bottom row starting overlap, so braces will be appropriate to prevent a much bigger problem. I’ve also got teeth that are of different lengths and long, sharp, pointy K-9’s. Yes, I’m a good candidate for cosmetic dentistry.

I went into a cosmetic dentist to get a quote, and he and his nurses all have these huge, fake, ultra-white veneers.

His staff performs a typical cleaning and x-ray and he comes in and tells me I have healthy teeth, but that I need veneers to fix my problem. He gives me a quote for +$40K for “uppers and lowers”. I’m thinking, Dr. Dipshit, you just said my teeth are healthy. Why would I spend that much money to cover them all up so I can look like I’ve pasted chiclets over my teeth? I’m looking for a little orthodontic work and to even out of the length of a few teeth.

And then the fucker balance billed me because my insurance didn’t cover the costs of the orchids and the waterfall he has in his waiting room.

So I went to another dentist who quoted me $180 per tooth to even out (I need four, but at that price, I can afford to be neurotic and fix more), and $500 for a little tooth whitening. He said I’d have to make an appointment with the orthodontist for a quote on the braces, but some online searching suggests that the cost would be a few thousand dollars, not 40-fucking-thousand dollars.

And, my teeth would look like my teeth instead of Gary Buse’s teeth.

I like my teeth because two of my side teeth are pretty pointed and I think they make me look like a vampire Evil_monster Laugh out load

Gary Busey's teeth would look hilarious on you Laugh out load It would be like Sarah Silverman and Gary Busey's love child Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
11-07-2017, 09:57 AM
(11-07-2017 09:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Follow up rant regarding my random thought about fake teeth: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pid1211848

Fuck that! Aliza, I havent seen your smile/teeth, but I'm sure it's amazing! I to have large "canines" and think it looks awesome lol. Just embrace what you have and don't have any work done. If anything at all, maybe whiten them (that's the only thing I'd consider), but otherwise you don't want to look like you have false teeth!

The downside to these veneers is that you end up looking like you have The Mask's teeth or something, like it obviously stands out. Each to their own, but I say, embrace the fangs!

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
11-07-2017, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 11:47 AM by Clockwork.)
(11-07-2017 09:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Follow up rant regarding my random thought about fake teeth...
I hear ya. Because of childhood illness, my teeth didn't form right. For that reason, I have a horrible smile. My teeth, no matter what I or dentists have done, are pure shit. Assuming I can ever afford fake ones, they're never going to look right.

So, I may end up with false Busey chompers!

Edited out a random "you" my autocorrect threw in there.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
11-07-2017, 10:06 AM
I agree with OT, embrace whatever it is that makes you you. Perfect sucks, imo.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-07-2017, 10:07 AM
(11-07-2017 10:01 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 09:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Follow up rant regarding my random thought about fake teeth...
I hear ya. Because of childhood illness, my teeth didn't form right. For that reason, I have a horrible smile. My teeth, no matter what I or dentists have done, are pure shit. Assuming I can ever afford fake ones, they're never going to look right.

So, you, I may end up with false Busey chompers!

No, because it's not really "supply and demand," it's "demand and supply." People are buying those teeth left and right. If the masses demanded more natural looking teeth, the manufacturers would supply them. I think a huge percentage of consumers seeking cosmetic dentistry really want huge, glowing white teeth.
11-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Good luck Muffs.

Go with the cashews, but toast them first and add them toward the end.

I totally agree with you on the mushrooms...I've had them many times where they just tasted slimey.

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-07-2017, 04:18 PM

I have pretty straight teeth. Not sure why, my sister and brother don't. I guess I got lucky there.

There are two things that bug me about people's teeth. One is when you look at them and immediately know they wore braces because no one has teeth that straight naturally (And Chicklet teeth are awful). The other is teeny, tiny teeth with lots of gum showing...freaks me out.

I understand straightening teeth. My younger daughter didn't have two teeth that lined up together. The orthodontist I took her two got them straightened out without looking fake. Once she gave up on the retainer one of her front teeth slightly moved to overlap the other one just a little bit (just like her dad's). So her teeth looked a lot better but still looked natural.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-07-2017, 05:26 PM
(11-07-2017 04:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

I have pretty straight teeth. Not sure why, my sister and brother don't. I guess I got lucky there.

There are two things that bug me about people's teeth. One is when you look at them and immediately know they wore braces because no one has teeth that straight naturally (And Chicklet teeth are awful). The other is teeny, tiny teeth with lots of gum showing...freaks me out.

I understand straightening teeth. My younger daughter didn't have two teeth that lined up together. The orthodontist I took her two got them straightened out without looking fake. Once she gave up on the retainer one of her front teeth slightly moved to overlap the other one just a little bit (just like her dad's). So her teeth looked a lot better but still looked natural.

Yeah, the teeny tiny teeth thing with lots of gums showing is a very unfortunate thing for people to have. I don't know what they do to fix that... lucky for me, my problem is much less noticeable.

The overlapping teeth is what's starting on my bottom row. I noticed it 2 years ago and it's getting progressively worse. It started off with one tooth beginning to get a little too snuggly with another tooth, and now a second tooth is starting to overlap as well. I can no longer fit dental floss between the first pair of overlapping teeth and the second pair is going in that direction fast. I used to have a retainer that was glued into the inside of my lower row and it fell out, and I decided (in my infinite wisdom) that I didn't need it anyway so I didn't get it repaired.

The shape and unevenness of my teeth is common enough, though. I see people on TV with teeth like mine, so I know I'm not some freak or anything. I really just want to fix the bottom row and get a little sculpting on the top row. The first dentist that I went to was simply in the business of selling horse teeth. Had he been reasonable in his approach, he'd have earned my business. Clearly, he only wants the whales.
11-07-2017, 06:49 PM
(11-07-2017 05:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 04:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have pretty straight teeth. Not sure why, my sister and brother don't. I guess I got lucky there.

Yeah, the teeny tiny teeth thing with lots of gums showing is a very unfortunate thing for people to have. I don't know what they do to fix that... lucky for me, my problem is much less noticeable.

The overlapping teeth is what's starting on my bottom row. I noticed it 2 years ago and it's getting progressively worse. It started off with one tooth beginning to get a little too snuggly with another tooth, and now a second tooth is starting to overlap as well. I can no longer fit dental floss between the first pair of overlapping teeth and the second pair is going in that direction fast. I used to have a retainer that was glued into the inside of my lower row and it fell out, and I decided (in my infinite wisdom) that I didn't need it anyway so I didn't get it repaired.

The shape and unevenness of my teeth is common enough, though. I see people on TV with teeth like mine, so I know I'm not some freak or anything. I really just want to fix the bottom row and get a little sculpting on the top row. The first dentist that I went to was simply in the business of selling horse teeth. Had he been reasonable in his approach, he'd have earned my business. Clearly, he only wants the whales.

Well, you're so pretty I'm sure it's just something only you notice and no one else even gives it a second thought. But if you do want to gt your teeth fixed for yourself, why not get another retainer? Would that help straighten out the overlap on your bottom teeth a bit if they bother you?

My friend got her two front teeth bonded and they look really good--not like horse teeth at all. Completely natural and I don't think extremely expensive. It might be something to look into, depending on what your needs are in the front in terms of sculpting.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post