Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
11-07-2017, 07:27 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(11-07-2017 09:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Follow up rant regarding my random thought about fake teeth: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pid1211848

I do not have a perfect smile. –But to be fair, I also don’t have a terrible smile. I’m not missing teeth, I don’t have teeth sticking out at odd angles and my teeth are straight enough to pass for normal.

… But I don’t have a beautiful smile, and it’s something I’ve been thinking of addressing for a few years. Over the last two years, I’ve noticed the bottom row starting overlap, so braces will be appropriate to prevent a much bigger problem. I’ve also got teeth that are of different lengths and long, sharp, pointy K-9’s. Yes, I’m a good candidate for cosmetic dentistry.

I went into a cosmetic dentist to get a quote, and he and his nurses all have these huge, fake, ultra-white veneers.

[Image: gary_busey_chiclets.jpg]

His staff performs a typical cleaning and x-ray and he comes in and tells me I have healthy teeth, but that I need veneers to fix my problem. He gives me a quote for +$40K for “uppers and lowers”. I’m thinking, Dr. Dipshit, you just said my teeth are healthy. Why would I spend that much money to cover them all up so I can look like I’ve pasted chiclets over my teeth? I’m looking for a little orthodontic work and to even out of the length of a few teeth.

And then the fucker balance billed me because my insurance didn’t cover the costs of the orchids and the waterfall he has in his waiting room.

So I went to another dentist who quoted me $180 per tooth to even out (I need four, but at that price, I can afford to be neurotic and fix more), and $500 for a little tooth whitening. He said I’d have to make an appointment with the orthodontist for a quote on the braces, but some online searching suggests that the cost would be a few thousand dollars, not 40-fucking-thousand dollars.

And, my teeth would look like my teeth instead of Gary Busey’s teeth.

If you really want to do the orthodontist thing please do take the time to shop around with multiple orthodontists. I had braces in my forties and got prices from four different orthodontists. The prices were several thousand dollars apart. And please know that the "clear" braces are far more likely to rip enamel off your teeth when they remove them than the old fashioned metal ones are. I mean the clear part they glue on your teeth, not those clear tray type things. And clear braces take longer. Or at least that's what the orthodontists back then told me. Sadly the cheapest price was from an orthodontist whose breath was so foul that I just couldn't imagine being stuck in his chair with him talking to me. WHY would his staff NOT tell him?!?!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
11-07-2017, 08:09 PM
(11-07-2017 06:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, you're so pretty I'm sure it's just something only you notice and no one else even gives it a second thought.

Dawwww. Thanks. Blush You're pretty too.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
11-07-2017, 08:15 PM
(11-07-2017 08:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 06:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, you're so pretty I'm sure it's just something only you notice and no one else even gives it a second thought.

Heart Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-07-2017, 08:28 PM
(11-07-2017 08:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

I saw your picture, but I was too stunned to notice your teeth being a problem. I'd suggest as little work as possible, personally, because whatever is done may cause problems down the road. I personally had a dentist recommend veneers on my front teeth (crooked from impacted molars, and chipped from impacted fists). I declined. My teeth are part of what I am and have experienced, good or bad. The dentist can stick to cleaning my teeth and filling cavities.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-07-2017, 09:22 PM
It went good. I think. I dunno. Maybe? The food wasn't my best by a long short. I probably fucked up.
Did I fuck up? I fucked up. Yea I probably fucked up. Ahhhh shoot me.

[Image: oscar.png]
11-07-2017, 09:25 PM
(11-07-2017 09:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It went good. I think. I dunno. Maybe? The food wasn't my best by a long short. I probably fucked up.

I am sure it went just fine.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
11-07-2017, 09:46 PM
There's a neighborhood message board that I glance at now and then. Some dipshit posted that they had been tailgated by someone and that was wrong because they had a 'baby on board' sign on their car.

Anyone every heard of an aggressive driver that sees that and decides to drive better?

There is someone arguing that the sign is a safety thing for first responders...like the first thing they do is circle a car to read bumper stickers and decals instead of looking in the damn cabin of the vehicle.

Welp...no sticker, no need to look any further.

Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-07-2017, 09:51 PM
(11-07-2017 08:28 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 08:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Dawwww. Thanks. Blush You're pretty too.

I saw your picture, but I was too stunned to notice your teeth being a problem. I'd suggest as little work as possible, personally, because whatever is done may cause problems down the road. I personally had a dentist recommend veneers on my front teeth (crooked from impacted molars, and chipped from impacted fists). I declined. My teeth are part of what I am and have experienced, good or bad. The dentist can stick to cleaning my teeth and filling cavities.

I showed you my picture? I've apparently lost track of who has seen my mug, but you can consider yourself as having received high honors from me.

My teeth aren't terrible. They're slightly out of whack, but I'd rather them be out of whack than look fake. I'm more or less ranty that the first doctor would try to charge me $40K for services I don't need or want. And his teeth looked absurd! I'm supposed to pay $40K to look like that? Angry
12-07-2017, 03:20 AM
(11-07-2017 09:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It went good. I think. I dunno. Maybe? The food wasn't my best by a long short. I probably fucked up.

Next time: Pimp suit Thumbsup

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
12-07-2017, 06:40 AM

I'm sure you did awesome and charmed him with your earmuffness Big Grin I agree with OT, next time go full on pimp Thumbsup Tongue