Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
15-07-2017, 03:58 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(15-07-2017 03:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  Thumbsup Yup. I used to be a lot more paranoid. Now I figure, what the hell, most of the forum is American, if anyone does go nuts and try to track me down, I'm far far away. But ja, it's not that secure on the forum either, so I totally understand. Also there have been weirdos here.

Still are. Drinking Beverage

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
15-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Who you callin' a weirdo?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjHocynaAElqNHy6McwF1...jDHvoB0V_6]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
16-07-2017, 12:11 AM
Well, fuck my night...

Had someone show up at 1am looking to check in to their room. Problem was, we were already sold out, and I didn't have any reservations left to check in. They opened the confirmation up in their phone, and both the date and location were correct. A common mistake is either booking for the wrong date, or for our sister property about 20 minutes east on the highway.

Checking their confirmation number, the reservation was there but cancelled by someone on 2nd shift. The reason listed in the records was the entirely unhelpful 'No Reason Given'. Well, great. Looking at it's history, the reservation was made at 7:45 pm, and then cancelled five minutes later at 7:50 pm. I literally have no idea why the room was cancelled. I suspect the reason is because second shift is ran by a couple of bellends.

Oh, and we're in the middle of a city wide sellout this weekend, between an anime convention, a city marathon, and the largest motorcycle rally in the north east United States (well over 150K additional motorcyclists in the city for the weekend).

So how the fuck do I fix this? The couple drove in from Toronto, and they have a child and an infant with them, and nobody in the city has a room available.

So I put them up in the conference room. Had to go raid the housekeeping storage closets for 4 roll-away beds, and enough sheets, blankets, and pillows to match. Had to move all of the tables and chairs around to make room for the beds, just to make sure they had a room over their head for the night.

Oh, and it's now 2:10 am, and I still haven't had enough time to actually eat anything since I woke up at 10 pm, because I an literally the only person on staff from 11 pm to 7 am. I need to go grab something before I start nom'ing the keyboard.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-07-2017, 12:34 AM
(16-07-2017 12:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, fuck my night...

Had someone show up at 1am looking to check in to their room. Problem was, we were already sold out, and I didn't have any reservations left to check in. They opened the confirmation up in their phone, and both the date and location were correct. A common mistake is either booking for the wrong date, or for our sister property about 20 minutes east on the highway.

Checking their confirmation number, the reservation was there but cancelled by someone on 2nd shift. The reason listed in the records was the entirely unhelpful 'No Reason Given'. Well, great. Looking at it's history, the reservation was made at 7:45 pm, and then cancelled five minutes later at 7:50 pm. I literally have no idea why the room was cancelled. I suspect the reason is because second shift is ran by a couple of bellends.

Oh, and we're in the middle of a city wide sellout this weekend, between an anime convention, a city marathon, and the largest motorcycle rally in the north east United States (well over 150K additional motorcyclists in the city for the weekend).

So how the fuck do I fix this? The couple drove in from Toronto, and they have a child and an infant with them, and nobody in the city has a room available.

So I put them up in the conference room. Had to go raid the housekeeping storage closets for 4 roll-away beds, and enough sheets, blankets, and pillows to match. Had to move all of the tables and chairs around to make room for the beds, just to make sure they had a room over their head for the night.

Oh, and it's now 2:10 am, and I still haven't had enough time to actually eat anything since I woke up at 10 pm, because I an literally the only person on staff from 11 pm to 7 am. I need to go grab something before I start nom'ing the keyboard.

You definitely did the right thing. You'll get them into a room as soon as someone checks out in the morning.

I consider myself to be a rather discerning customer. Under the circumstances, I'd have been very happy to have been accommodated at all, even if the conditions were not ideal. You cannot turn a family with small children away. You just can't.

Are you comping them for the night? (I think you should)
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
16-07-2017, 01:12 AM
(16-07-2017 12:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Are you comping them for the night? (I think you should)

Yeah. If the prior reservation had been cancelled because the card couldn't be authorized? Then company policy makes it clear that the hotel has full discretion to cancel Credit Card Guaranteed rooms if their cards cannot be authorized. But near as I can tell, nobody even attempted the authorize the card on the original reservation before canceling it. I literally have no idea why the room was cancelled by someone at the front desk, 5 minutes after the reservation was made.

Now it's possible that there was a discrepancy between hotel inventory on property and what central booking thought we had, and that their reservation actually over-booked the hotel. But if that was the case, fucking somebody needed to say something about it. Because if that were the case, then I could have had an actual room for them, as I sold a room that had been attached to a reservation with a bad card we couldn't authorize not more than 5 minutes into the start of my shift (a room I could have otherwise held in reserve for them). Had there been proper communication, this could have all been avoided.

But yeah, second shift creating messes that I need to fix? That's pretty par for the course around here...

16-07-2017, 01:32 AM
Is it possible they didn't finalize the booking, stepped away from the computer and when someone came to use the computer 5 minutes later they didn't know what was going on so just backed out of the program or something? Just a suggestion, I obviously know nothing about hotel computer systems.

I hope the hotel compensates them for the trouble though.

[Image: oscar.png]
16-07-2017, 01:47 AM
(16-07-2017 01:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is it possible they didn't finalize the booking, stepped away from the computer and when someone came to use the computer 5 minutes later they didn't know what was going on so just backed out of the program or something? Just a suggestion, I obviously know nothing about hotel computer systems.

I hope the hotel compensates them for the trouble though.

No, they booked it through central booking. They got a confirmation email, and the completed reservation was sent to us from central booking. That's why I'm thinking that maybe it was a inventory discrepancy, and central overbooked us. But even if that was the case, fuck second shift for not saying anything to me or otherwise leaving any sort of information trail.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-07-2017, 02:03 AM
(16-07-2017 01:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 12:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Are you comping them for the night? (I think you should)

Yeah. If the prior reservation had been cancelled because the card couldn't be authorized? Then company policy makes it clear that the hotel has full discretion to cancel Credit Card Guaranteed rooms if their cards cannot be authorized. But near as I can tell, nobody even attempted the authorize the card on the original reservation before canceling it. I literally have no idea why the room was cancelled by someone at the front desk, 5 minutes after the reservation was made.

But yeah, second shift creating messes that I need to fix? That's pretty par for the course around here...

Firstly...I wish you'd been working at my hotel when I was in the industry, you deserve a raise for taking the intuitive of thinking for yourself on how to solve a problem! Smile

Secondly, You're right... it's always the grave yard shift that gets fucked, you're alone...all the rooms in the city are booked and you're overbooked where do you send them? I once worked in housekeeping as well so on one occasion I asked them to wait in the lobby whilst I cleaned a room that had just checked out.

Also when I was Front desk Manager... because I cared more about the people working for me then the company, I used to book a fake reservation under a believable false name on days when I knew it would be a fucking circus. I would tell the evening staff which reservation was fake, and to tell them to hold it as long as possible. I was tired of losing good people cause of stress... Sadcryface

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
16-07-2017, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 03:22 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(16-07-2017 02:03 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Firstly...I wish you'd been working at my hotel when I was in the industry, you deserve a raise for taking the intuitive of thinking for yourself on how to solve a problem! Smile

Secondly, You're right... it's always the grave yard shift that gets fucked, you're alone...all the rooms in the city are booked and you're overbooked where do you send them? I once worked in housekeeping as well so on one occasion I asked them to wait in the lobby whilst I cleaned a room that had just checked out.

Also when I was Front desk Manager... because I cared more about the people working for me then the company, I used to book a fake reservation under a believable false name on days when I knew it would be a fucking circus. I would tell the evening staff which reservation was fake, and to tell them to hold it as long as possible. I was tired of losing good people cause of stress... Sadcryface

Thanks. That's actually one of the reasons why I don't get on 2nd shifts case more often about failing to cancel reservations with bad cards, because having a buffer room or two on a sold out night can be a life saver. My hotel is over a decade old, and although newly renovated, at lot of the core is still original. Things like the whirlpool bathtubs (which adds dozens of points of potential failure into literally every room), the toilets, plumbing, and the room AC/heaters.

Before last winter, I managed to cajole enough people to get them to buy a few dozen spare blankets (separate from our standard comforters), and they have been a life save. I haven't had to tell people 'sorry' whenever they've asked for an extra blanket since then. But I didn't get the same response when I asked for some portable room fans, for when we inevitably have a sold out night and one of the AC units craps out. It has already happened, and it will happen again.

Typically things don't catch on fire, and I usually have a lot of time to myself when I'm not doing paperwork. But I do know how to do just about a little of everything. Fixing TV's? Plunging toilets? Checking the electrical breakers? Resetting the office server and getting the entire front desk back online after a black-out? I've been here going on six years, am currently on my sixth general manager, and I've had to call a manager on my shift only 5 times (and 3 of those were black-out related). But that also means that I'm out of sight, and out of mind. I've only seen my current GM once since she started, because she's never here before I leave in the morning (my first and third GM I saw on a regular basis, they were morning people).

In short, I get shit done.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-07-2017, 03:36 AM
I remember I when worked night shift, once or twice I had to stay after my shift to see the Front desk Manager, and the first thing out of her mouth when she saw me waiting for her in the morning was ..."Oh for fucks sake what happened".

Cause she knew if it wasn't something I could deal with it would be a big headache for her....

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post