Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-07-2017, 09:38 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(21-07-2017 07:49 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 04:45 AM)julep Wrote:  My treadmill broke tonight. Spent the first hour of my workout with the motor wheezing and shuddering and juddering, then it "meeped" and stopped altogether. Twelve years and many thousands of miles on it.

Now I'm going to have to walk outside...or switch to the elliptical machine. I hate the elliptical machine.

Shouldn't this be in the "First World Problems" thread?

Laugh out load

Sorry to laugh, it just struck me as funny.

That's okay. But I'll still rant about it here, because ranting is fun.

So, more First World problem bitching: it's too hot and humid and unpredictably stormy outside. Plus there's people, and wasps and gnats and traffic. And I can't have CNN on in the background so I can keep up with Breaking! News! And I don't have my big pile of books available to read while I walk. And I can't walk outside if I wake up at 3 a.m. and can't get back to sleep, or if I'm waiting for a package that needs to be signed for, or combine it with yucky chores like the laundry. And a decent treadmill's going to cost $$$, and my kid's college tuition for the fall is due in a couple of weeks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
21-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Is there a Habitat for Humanity Restore near you? Ours is always choking on all kinds of exercise equipment. A lot of which looks brand new because, hey, you know, most people buy them with good intentions and then wind up using them as clothes hangers.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
21-07-2017, 09:47 AM
(21-07-2017 09:40 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Is there a Habitat for Humanity Restore near you? Ours is always choking on all kinds of exercise equipment. A lot of which looks brand new because, hey, you know, most people buy them with good intentions and then wind up using them as clothes hangers.

It turns out there is. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!
21-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Getting transferred to another department. Trying not to worry. Confused

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
21-07-2017, 06:00 PM
(21-07-2017 04:47 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Getting transferred to another department. Trying not to worry. Confused

Ahhh, your cheese got moved.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-07-2017, 08:33 PM
(21-07-2017 06:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 04:47 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Getting transferred to another department. Trying not to worry. Confused

Ahhh, your cheese got moved.

Yeah. Undecided

I don't know if that was the reasoning behind the book (because everyone in the department was assigned the book to read) or what. Three of us have been shuffled off to other departments that are swamped and need extra folks. The department I'm going to (Billing) adds to their numbers regularly.

I've been at this same company, in the same department, with the same boss for nearly 11 years now so I'm understandably nervous about going to a different one, even if it is in the same company and even on the same floor.

It's a bigger department than the one I'm coming from, and therefore more people to get to know. Unsure I'll have to learn the new group dynamics over there, and whether the vibe is laid back or strict. I dunno if, for example, I'll be able to listen to music or podcasts from my laptop over there and I won't do so for awhile until I figure out what's kosher and what's not.

The work part should be... not horrible, and maybe even a good challenge.

I have the advantage of being familiar with our Linux systems that baffle most newcomers to the company. And I'll be bringing in knowledge from my old department. And at least maybe in this department I won't have to remember 500-different-million forms for each state or product or producer. Sure I'll be dealing with math and shit, but maybe it won't be so bad. And my phone calls (whenever they put me on the phone) will consist of, I think, roughly the same volume as I've dealt with before (which isn't a lot) and it'll be the same type of customers that I've dealt with before, just adding one. And fuck, at least I'll be in a department that is actually appreciated.

My old department has been dwindling for a while. We had a huge year at one point and needed to add people but the work has disappeared since then. We've been slow for a while so I'd been wondering when the hatchet was gonna fall. I guess today was the day. It could have been worse. My boss could've pulled me into that meeting and told me I was being laid off.

The bad parts are all the unknowns - the new people, the new group dynamic, the new duties, etc. Even things like, how do they like to be informed if I'm out sick or running late? My old boss had a very certain way she wanted us to report in. So there are a lot of things I have to re-learn. Oh, and the other bad part is I start Monday, and I was just told of the switch this afternoon so it's quite abrupt, but they've got a guy leaving and want to fill his spot quickly.

Positives are that at least I'll be busy and can be of some use. Maybe it'll be a challenge and will have been the kick in the ass I've needed since I've felt bleh and unmotivated and complacent of late in my old job.

Rev and I went to Target earlier and I got a cute little notebook to take notes in on Monday for my new job. I figured a little "new job" treat might help to boost my spirits that day.

Oh, and I'll get a portion of Monday at some point to clean out my old desk and get situated in my new area, so I didn't have to rush over there today, which was good.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
21-07-2017, 08:42 PM
(21-07-2017 08:33 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 06:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ahhh, your cheese got moved.

Yeah. Undecided

I don't know if that was the reasoning behind the book (because everyone in the department was assigned the book to read) or what. Three of us have been shuffled off to other departments that are swamped and need extra folks. The department I'm going to (Billing) adds to their numbers regularly.

I've been at this same company, in the same department, with the same boss for nearly 11 years now so I'm understandably nervous about going to a different one, even if it is in the same company and even on the same floor.

It's a bigger department than the one I'm coming from, and therefore more people to get to know. Unsure I'll have to learn the new group dynamics over there, and whether the vibe is laid back or strict. I dunno if, for example, I'll be able to listen to music or podcasts from my laptop over there and I won't do so for awhile until I figure out what's kosher and what's not.

I have the advantage of being familiar with our Linux systems that baffle most newcomers to the company. And I'll be bringing in knowledge from my old department. And at least maybe in this department I won't have to remember 500-different-million forms for each state or product or producer. Sure I'll be dealing with math and shit, but maybe it won't be so bad. And my phone calls (whenever they put me on the phone) will consist of, I think, roughly the same volume as I've dealt with before (which isn't a lot) and it'll be the same type of customers that I've dealt with before, just adding one. And fuck, at least I'll be in a department that is actually appreciated.

My old department has been dwindling for a while. We had a huge year at one point and needed to add people but the work has disappeared since then. We've been slow for a while so I'd been wondering when the hatchet was gonna fall. I guess today was the day. It could have been worse. My boss could've pulled me into that meeting and told me I was being laid off.

The bad parts are all the unknowns - the new people, the new group dynamic, the new duties, etc. Even things like, how do they like to be informed if I'm out sick or running late? My old boss had a very certain way she wanted us to report in. So there are a lot of things I have to re-learn. Oh, and the other bad part is I start Monday, and I was just told of the switch this afternoon so it's quite abrupt, but they've got a guy leaving and want to fill his spot quickly.

Positives are that at least I'll be busy and can be of some use. Maybe it'll be a challenge and will have been the kick in the ass I've needed since I've felt bleh and unmotivated and complacent of late in my old job.

Rev and I went to Target earlier and I got a cute little notebook to take notes in on Monday for my new job. I figured a little "new job" treat might help to boost my spirits that day.

Oh, and I'll get a portion of Monday at some point to clean out my old desk and get situated in my new area, so I didn't have to rush over there today, which was good.

If may be a good thing. You have mentioned how bored you are in your current position.

It will take a while to learn the ins and outs but it's not like you are going to a whole new company, which is really stressful.

They must value you if they found a place so they could keep you with the company. Thumbsup

I no longer have to worry about the listening to music thing...I can just feed it, and podcasts, from my phone to my hearing aids. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-07-2017, 09:20 PM
(21-07-2017 08:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 08:33 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Yeah. Undecided

If may be a good thing. You have mentioned how bored you are in your current position.

It will take a while to learn the ins and outs but it's not like you are going to a whole new company, which is really stressful.

They must value you if they found a place so they could keep you with the company. Thumbsup

I no longer have to worry about the listening to music thing...I can just feed it, and podcasts, from my phone to my hearing aids. Big Grin

I agree with Anj. I think you will do fine in the new environment. Both of you, with your focus on detail, are an asset to the companies you work for. My wife works for a major bank, and to hear how people operate in the corporate office where she works is appalling. She sees people around her watching movies/talking on their phones, pretty much all day. Crazy shit.
22-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Bleh. I don't even want to go to my hair appointment today. My brain is still swimming after the news of my imminent transfer. Confused

22-07-2017, 01:32 PM
(22-07-2017 08:56 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Bleh. I don't even want to go to my hair appointment today. My brain is still swimming after the news of my imminent transfer. Confused

Don't borrow trouble EA, at least they transferred you. Sure you'll have to learn new things, but it'll be ok.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post