Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-08-2017, 11:54 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(07-08-2017 07:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh and my flatmate almost died. He flicked a light switch and got a huge electric shock. We phoned the landlord who sent an electrician. The electrician came today and opened up the light switch. He said it was so poorly wired and dangerous (there was some metal backboard thing they're not suppose to use(not our landlord, the people before them)) that if we'd touched it again it likely would have delt a shock with enough electricity to kill you.

So that's fun.

Meh, it is only dangerous if you are grounded.Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2017, 04:37 AM
My brother is borderline retarded. We already don't talk much, we are really not close. But yesterday we skyped and fucking hell is the guy un-educated and crooked in his thinking. I can't believe we are related!
We spoke about different topics. From his neighbours to politics. The guy doesn't get anything right. And then he spoke totally ill of our mother.
See I speak ill of my mom as well BUT I actually have proper reasons to do so and I know when to stop and move on. He was just going on and on and on. And not even having a point. So my mom has been going through a fucking rough time the past few years and therefore she has been venting a lot as well. So he is not supporting her and instead says he would rather not visit her because she is always so negative... dafuq man?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
08-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Just went to apartment complex office. Put in a help ticket for the sink...and the garbage disposal...and while I was at it, the light above my door which hasn't worked since I moved in two years ago.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2017, 10:44 AM
(08-08-2017 04:37 AM)Leerob Wrote:  My brother is borderline retarded. We already don't talk much, we are really not close. But yesterday we skyped and fucking hell is the guy un-educated and crooked in his thinking. I can't believe we are related!
We spoke about different topics. From his neighbours to politics. The guy doesn't get anything right. And then he spoke totally ill of our mother.
See I speak ill of my mom as well BUT I actually have proper reasons to do so and I know when to stop and move on. He was just going on and on and on. And not even having a point. So my mom has been going through a fucking rough time the past few years and therefore she has been venting a lot as well. So he is not supporting her and instead says he would rather not visit her because she is always so negative... dafuq man?

I have an aunt and uncle (by marriage) that cut off my grandmother. Needless to say, I cut all ties with them.
09-08-2017, 07:08 PM
How the fuck are two young guys with zero assets and poor parents gonna get $20,000 in business start-up capital?
GoFundMe is all good and all but it's not exactly a fool-proof reliable way to do it. Certainly not that large of a sum anyway.

[Image: oscar.png]
10-08-2017, 12:03 AM
(09-08-2017 07:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How the fuck are two young guys with zero assets and poor parents gonna get $20,000 in business start-up capital?
GoFundMe is all good and all but it's not exactly a fool-proof reliable way to do it. Certainly not that large of a sum anyway.

What's your breakdown for why you need that amount? Can you get by with less? Half?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-08-2017, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 01:45 AM by earmuffs.)
(10-08-2017 12:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 07:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How the fuck are two young guys with zero assets and poor parents gonna get $20,000 in business start-up capital?

What's your breakdown for why you need that amount? Can you get by with less? Half?

We haven't done the math on everything. That's just a very rough estimate I have for how much it'll take. It's like $6000-7000 for the container, $1500 for the waffle irons. $2000 for a generator. $500-1000 for signage (includes menu boards). $750 for interior renovation of the container (walls, benches, sink, install menu boards etc..), $250 for a fridge, $250 for a freezer, land lease deposit $1,000-2000ish. Than we'd still need lots of small things such as bowls and stuff. As well as someone to take the outside of the container look nice (skirting board, that sort of thing) as well as paint it. Lawyer fees. Accounting fees. Bank fees. Setting up a phone/internet line. Basically, I figured it's gonna be around $20,000. Probably more, probably less. Obviously, when we do a business plan we'll be able to work out to the dollar how much we need. We'll also be able to see where we can keep costs down. A big one will be if we can rent the container instead of buying it out right. OR the ideal situation will be rent-to-buy. The issue with this would be what we could and couldn't do it. Like, the ones Im looking to buy are baby blue. I know they rent them out like that but I'm not having a baby blue fucking container. It's not happening. So we'd need to be able to paint it black. So I need to know if we could paint it. Also, if we could even rent it for say a year at a time. But even renting we'd still need a deposit. But yea, renting it would be a huge cost saver. The other cost saver is depending on location and how easily we can hook up power/phone/internet. Especially power. If we can hook into the power system we won't need to spend thousands on a generator. Buying power off the grid or through our landlord would be cheaper than diesel or LPG as well. As well as phone and the internet, if all it takes is a hole in the ground that's gonna be cheaper.

I'm sure there would be small things we can save money on too. Like my dad is a hobby carpenter, he has a lot of wood. He might be able to make us some benches. Shit like that.

I'm an incredibly cheap person, I'll find ways to make this as cheap as humanly possible. We just need to crack on and get a very detailed (more detailed than a standard one I think because we have so little assets and money) business plan produced. It will gives us a far more accurate picture of the situation beyond my quick in my head estimate that's for sure.

I'm very much the kinda person that will count every single cent.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-08-2017, 01:45 AM
Is there any way you can test out the market before making a big investment? Something like: grab a gas cylinder, a couple of tables, some paper plates, make pancakes as street food and sell them in the location you'd like to set up in, see how they go?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-08-2017, 02:07 AM
There's a night market just down the road every Saturday night, I had thought about going there. The issue is that that's a very different 'audience' to where we wanna be.
Where I live, Hamilton, there's like two sides to this city. The city central (where I work and live) which is dying, empty stores everywhere. And 'The Base' where everything is.
The 'audience' is different.

And waffles, not pancakes. And we'd still need waffle irons and a sauce of power.

10-08-2017, 02:10 AM
Hmmm actually... I have an idea.