Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
15-08-2017, 12:07 AM
RE: Ranting corner
My husband thinks we should sell bottles of water and tee shirts by the side of the road.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-08-2017, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2017 07:27 PM by earmuffs.)
So, Im working on working out how much this whole things gonna cost. Holy shit son... the price dropped drastically when I learnt I could rent the container cheaply, but daaamn the bills are racking up. $25/mo for public liability. $90/mo for business asset cover. $90/mo for business interruption cover. $50/mo for accounting software.

And I feel like using a generator to run this is out of the question. We'd need like 3000watts average all the time. 5,000 during peak times. 3,500Watt generator will burn a gallon of petrol an hour. So, 3.78L per hour. Gas here is $1.90 a liter. That's $7.20 an hour in fucking electricity. Extrapolate that over the course of a month. 10 hour days, 6 days a week, 4 weeks a month. 240 hours. 240*7.20 = $1,728 to run a generator full time.

Please someone with waaaaaay more generator experience than myself tell me my math is waaay off here. Because Im kinda shitting myself as to how we're gonna power this whole operation. It's my biggest hurdle and like the only thing I don't have worked out in my head.

Just to put this out there because I looked it up. 3,500watts over a 10 hour would cost $9.11 for the whole day in normal people power usage from the grid.
So... generator out.
15-08-2017, 07:32 PM
(15-08-2017 12:07 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My husband thinks we should sell bottles of water and tee shirts by the side of the road.

I think that's BRILLIANT. The t-shirts should say "I survived the eclipse."

Or "My parents went to see the eclipse and all I got was this fucking T-shirt."

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
16-08-2017, 12:09 AM
(15-08-2017 07:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  $50/mo for accounting software.

Go to http://www.gnucash.org

$50 a month sounds extremely expensive. As in a total rip off. Pastel and Quickbooks are the two accounting packages that are the best known worldwide and I'm *sure* you can buy those for cheaper. Anyway there are multiple free accounting packages out there. Gnucash is one that I've used. Because it's free it's not as polished as the professional ones, but for a small business it should be OK.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-08-2017, 12:13 AM
(15-08-2017 07:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And I feel like using a generator to run this is out of the question. We'd need like 3000watts average all the time. 5,000 during peak times. 3,500Watt generator will burn a gallon of petrol an hour. So, 3.78L per hour. Gas here is $1.90 a liter. That's $7.20 an hour in fucking electricity. Extrapolate that over the course of a month. 10 hour days, 6 days a week, 4 weeks a month. 240 hours. 240*7.20 = $1,728 to run a generator full time.

Please someone with waaaaaay more generator experience than myself tell me my math is waaay off here. Because Im kinda shitting myself as to how we're gonna power this whole operation. It's my biggest hurdle and like the only thing I don't have worked out in my head.

How'd you calculate 3000W average? That's about what it takes to boil a kettle IIRC.

Is there no such thing as a gas-fired waffle iron? 'Cos gas for the same period will be way cheaper than first generating electricity and then converting it into heat.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-08-2017, 10:13 AM
(16-08-2017 12:13 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 07:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And I feel like using a generator to run this is out of the question. We'd need like 3000watts average all the time. 5,000 during peak times. 3,500Watt generator will burn a gallon of petrol an hour. So, 3.78L per hour. Gas here is $1.90 a liter. That's $7.20 an hour in fucking electricity. Extrapolate that over the course of a month. 10 hour days, 6 days a week, 4 weeks a month. 240 hours. 240*7.20 = $1,728 to run a generator full time.

How'd you calculate 3000W average? That's about what it takes to boil a kettle IIRC.

Is there no such thing as a gas-fired waffle iron? 'Cos gas for the same period will be way cheaper than first generating electricity and then converting it into heat.

2,000 for the waffle iron (the specification on the page). Fridges are about 500 watts and 500 for other things and a small bar fridge..

And all the waffle irons Im looking at are all electric.

The other issue with a generator is the fridges overnight. It's just functionally and financially waaaay better to just hook into the grid. Annnd I just had a thought.
Solar panels. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! SOLAR PANELS!! DUDE! DUDE!!! SOLAR PANELS!!

I'm actual a genius.
17-08-2017, 10:17 AM
It was like yesterday I was riding along on my bike and it suddenly occurred to me. We could pre-cook the waffles a little bit, enough for them to hold their shape.
They'll still be fresh because we could do it in the morning or during slow periods and keep em in the fridge. BUT they'll be waaay quicker to cook when the customers come along. Instead of 3 minute cook time it'll be like 1-1.5 minutes. Enough to heat it through and golden brown it. Saves time allows for quicker service during busy periods.

Genius.
17-08-2017, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2017 10:38 AM by earmuffs.)
Well solar's a nope.
Not a genius after all.
17-08-2017, 10:45 AM
(14-08-2017 06:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Half million people will start arriving in our county by the end of the week....

Fuck, I'm going to hate life. I have to adjust everything and shelter in place, just like when it snows. Dodgy

My aunt and uncle live in Scotts Bluff, Nebraska, smack dab in the middle of the path of totality.

My uncle plans to watch the eclipse in his lawnchair, beer in one hand and shotgun in the other.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
17-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Loom and/or moms----I wouldn't hold it against anybody in that position to rent a porta-potty and charge a buck per use. $2 for use of Trump toilet paper.

Got a Krispy Kreme of Dunkin Donuts nearby? I'd sell them like there was no tomorrow.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams