Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
02-09-2017, 02:22 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(02-09-2017 01:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll admit the build is nice. It's not a iMac but it's not terrible. Wink

My parents had an OG iMac, it was our family PC.

[Image: 2012-12-13-bondi-blue.jpeg?w=640]

I much prefer building my own. Big Grin

It might not be Bondi Blue, but I do enjoy the clean industrial design of Corsair's work.

[Image: air540.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-09-2017, 02:49 AM
(02-09-2017 02:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 01:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll admit the build is nice. It's not a iMac but it's not terrible. Wink

My parents had an OG iMac, it was our family PC.

It might not be Bondi Blue, but I do enjoy the clean industrial design of Corsair's work.

I still have our dalmatian iMac. It still works, barely. Our newer one is dying slowly now, the display isn't great anymore, and it's beginning to act mighty weird.

Since it's 8 years old (or more), we decided that might be time to just replace it before something bad happens and we lose everything.

My son built the man a machine. Seems pretty sweet so far. It boots super fast...

None of this effects me, since I use a MacBook Air (which is super fast too thanks to the SSD).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-09-2017, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 03:42 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(02-09-2017 02:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 02:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  My parents had an OG iMac, it was our family PC.

I still have our dalmatian iMac. It still works, barely. Our newer one is dying slowly now, the display isn't great anymore, and it's beginning to act mighty weird.

Since it's 8 years old (or more), we decided that might be time to just replace it before something bad happens and we lose everything.

My son built the man a machine. Seems pretty sweet so far. It boots super fast...

None of this effects me, since I use a MacBook Air (which is super fast too thanks to the SSD).

Probably for the best. My best friend's iMac (one of the newer all-in-one flat panels) has almost given up the ghost.

[Image: imac-2007.jpg]

He brought it over recently to see if I could diagnose it's issues. Mainly a series of inverted color bars running vertically through the display, but that changed size and position with resolution (meaning the trouble was not with the pixels). Best as I could figure out, the old system had suffered some sort of heat failure in the GPU. Not only did the inverted color bars change with the resolution, but even the running the desktop was choppy, the system could not maintain a decent frame-rate on the desktop. The thing had a really nice 1440p display, and it wasn't able to handle simple web browsing at it's native resolution at anything close to acceptable performance (and it wasn't spiking CPU, RAM, or HDD usage either).

Apple's all-in-one solution is elegant from the outside, but they're an absolute bitch to take apart and work on. Also their almost entirely proprietary design means that replacement parts are, and remain, exorbitantly expensive. A replacement graphics card would have set him back almost $300 dollars, because I'll be damned if the custom made ATI Radeon crammed into the system hadn't depreciated in price at all in well over 8 years. Plus that all-in-one design had all of the heat venting out of this small row of open air slots at the top, the thing was designed to effectively bake itself. I'm honestly surprised, given how shit it's thermal solution was, that the thing lasted as long as it did before suffering the electronic equivalent of a heat-stroke. Undecided

Even if you like Mac's, I'd strongly advise anyone away from one of those things. They're simply not built to last.

Actually, that Corsair case is the exact opposite use-case scenario. It's a dual chamber case, so it has separate hot and cool sides. It's large and open, with the entire front and top of the hot side open for ventilation, or which I facilitate with 5 separate 120mm fans (and a single 140mm fan at the rear for exhaust). Dual chamber cases are all about keeping things cool with maximal airflow, which it achieves by hiding the things that would otherwise interfere with airflow (hard drives, disk drives, IO ports, power supply) on the other side of the case, allowing for unrestricted airflow to the parts that need it for cooling. Another plus however, is that in being so open and roomy, they're a joy to assemble a PC in; and they're really easy to get back into for diagnostics or to upgrade hardware.

02-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Next week is the week people. I either have a business at the end of it, or I don't. This time next month, if all goes well, I could have quit my job, be self-employed, in a partnership with my best friend (and soulmate), selling people overpriced sugary flour dough.

Or you know... not.

I feel like I should be blogging this whole process or something. Could be good marketing. Maybe if we get a loan from the bank and are guaranteed space I'll start blogging this shit on Facebook or something. I dunno. We don't have a marketing strategy. I mean how much marketing can a 10ft container do? Our whole marketing strategy is basically traffic is drawn to the shopping complex by large anchor stores (and the fact that the city center is dead) and cinema etc.. and we basically leach off that. That's a valid marketing strategy right? I mean I thought about maybe taking an add out in the student magazine at the university but Im not sure how cost effective that would be. The university is on the opposite side of town. And again, we're a 10ft container. We're not really a "lets go to that place" sorta place. We're a "hey, lets go to that place while we're at this other place" sort of place. Student/Senior discounts maybe?

Also, I worked out (painfully) how much each waffle would cost to make. If we brought ingredients from the grocery store (so if we bulk ordered it in from a supplier it would be cheaper) it will cost us $0.82 to make each waffle. We'd sell them at $6. If that's not great margins you can fuck off because that's fucking great margins.
And I can't fucking find Belgian waffle pre-mix wholesale anywhere. It's ridiculous. So it looks like we're gonna have to make our own.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-09-2017, 08:20 AM
(02-09-2017 03:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 02:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I still have our dalmatian iMac. It still works, barely. Our newer one is dying slowly now, the display isn't great anymore, and it's beginning to act mighty weird.

Probably for the best. My best friend's iMac (one of the newer all-in-one flat panels) has almost given up the ghost.

[Image: imac-2007.jpg]

He brought it over recently to see if I could diagnose it's issues. Mainly a series of inverted color bars running vertically through the display, but that changed size and position with resolution (meaning the trouble was not with the pixels). Best as I could figure out, the old system had suffered some sort of heat failure in the GPU. Not only did the inverted color bars change with the resolution, but even the running the desktop was choppy, the system could not maintain a decent frame-rate on the desktop. The thing had a really nice 1440p display, and it wasn't able to handle simple web browsing at it's native resolution at anything close to acceptable performance (and it wasn't spiking CPU, RAM, or HDD usage either).

Apple's all-in-one solution is elegant from the outside, but they're an absolute bitch to take apart and work on. Also their almost entirely proprietary design means that replacement parts are, and remain, exorbitantly expensive. A replacement graphics card would have set him back almost $300 dollars, because I'll be damned if the custom made ATI Radeon crammed into the system hadn't depreciated in price at all in well over 8 years. Plus that all-in-one design had all of the heat venting out of this small row of open air slots at the top, the thing was designed to effectively bake itself. I'm honestly surprised, given how shit it's thermal solution was, that the thing lasted as long as it did before suffering the electronic equivalent of a heat-stroke. Undecided

Even if you like Mac's, I'd strongly advise anyone away from one of those things. They're simply not built to last.

Actually, that Corsair case is the exact opposite use-case scenario. It's a dual chamber case, so it has separate hot and cool sides. It's large and open, with the entire front and top of the hot side open for ventilation, or which I facilitate with 5 separate 120mm fans (and a single 140mm fan at the rear for exhaust). Dual chamber cases are all about keeping things cool with maximal airflow, which it achieves by hiding the things that would otherwise interfere with airflow (hard drives, disk drives, IO ports, power supply) on the other side of the case, allowing for unrestricted airflow to the parts that need it for cooling. Another plus however, is that in being so open and roomy, they're a joy to assemble a PC in; and they're really easy to get back into for diagnostics or to upgrade hardware.

Apple deliberately make a thing out of selling you the complete package. They control every step of the supply chain. Even the software AFAIK has to be sold through their approved channels? It makes *everything* expensive. It does work most of the time, but it's a deliberately constructed walled garden. Microsoft and all the others would *love* to be able to do the same thing, but the Intel PC architecture being an open standard fucked them all over hard Smile To the customers' benefit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-09-2017, 09:55 AM
(02-09-2017 06:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Next week is the week people. I either have a business at the end of it, or I don't. This time next month, if all goes well, I could have quit my job, be self-employed, in a partnership with my best friend (and soulmate), selling people overpriced sugary flour dough.

Or you know... not.

I feel like I should be blogging this whole process or something. Could be good marketing. Maybe if we get a loan from the bank and are guaranteed space I'll start blogging this shit on Facebook or something. I dunno. We don't have a marketing strategy. I mean how much marketing can a 10ft container do? Our whole marketing strategy is basically traffic is drawn to the shopping complex by large anchor stores (and the fact that the city center is dead) and cinema etc.. and we basically leach off that. That's a valid marketing strategy right? I mean I thought about maybe taking an add out in the student magazine at the university but Im not sure how cost effective that would be. The university is on the opposite side of town. And again, we're a 10ft container. We're not really a "lets go to that place" sorta place. We're a "hey, lets go to that place while we're at this other place" sort of place. Student/Senior discounts maybe?

Also, I worked out (painfully) how much each waffle would cost to make. If we brought ingredients from the grocery store (so if we bulk ordered it in from a supplier it would be cheaper) it will cost us $0.82 to make each waffle. We'd sell them at $6. If that's not great margins you can fuck off because that's fucking great margins.
And I can't fucking find Belgian waffle pre-mix wholesale anywhere. It's ridiculous. So it looks like we're gonna have to make our own.

Are you going to have omelettes and bacon and all that because ain't nobody want just waffles.
02-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Went in to give blood because the blood supply is low. I'm O+ and have given more than a couple gallons over the years.

Complications, had to stop early, and now my arm has a minor injury. Nothing major and most of the swelling is gone. But damn I still feel like shit.
02-09-2017, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 11:33 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(02-09-2017 08:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  Apple deliberately make a thing out of selling you the complete package. They control every step of the supply chain. Even the software AFAIK has to be sold through their approved channels? It makes *everything* expensive. It does work most of the time, but it's a deliberately constructed walled garden. Microsoft and all the others would *love* to be able to do the same thing, but the Intel PC architecture being an open standard fucked them all over hard Smile To the customers' benefit.

Well, it used to be worse. Apple used to use PowerPC based custom built Toshiba sourced CPU's, before finally joining the rest of the sane X86 based world. If I remember correctly, this happened around the switch to Mac OSX. We had a Mac at the time, and I remember the big to-do about older software programs needing to be 'carbonized' (Apple does love their buzzword jargon) before they could run on the newer OSX. This was conceivably because the new OS was built to support the far more widespread and standardized X86 instruction set, and so older programs had to be ported and recompiled to work the newer OS that itself was working with a fundamentally different machine language.

The upside now is the rise of the Hackintosh, because you don't actually need to buy a computer from Apple to have access to hardware that runs their OSX. Since OSX is X86 compatible (all modern Apple PC's use Intel CPU's), you can install OSX onto just about any modern computer. Which is a good thing, as they've basically abandoned the professional hardware market. They haven't made a dedicated creative professional workstation in forever (the Mac Pro 'trashcan' is a joke for good reasons), and the older ones that they still sell are incredibly under-powered and way overpriced (even more so than normal). Also their entire MacBook Pro lineup is a joke, and few of them can actually be used for anything close to professional work (a MacBook Pro with a dual core CPU, 8GB of RAM and no dedicated GPU is useless for anything more than web browsing).

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

This trashcan has an Intel Xenon E5 (their enterprise grade server processor), a hexa-core processor at 3 GHz, 16 GB of DDR3 1866 ECC RAM, a 256 GB flash SSD, and dual AMD FirePro D700 6 GB GPU's. They wanted $4K when this thing was brand new in 2013, and they still want that much for it now, and it hasn't changed since then.

I could build a machine that waffle stomps that, and runs OSX, for a fraction of the price.

Actually, I managed to do it for under $2K.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-09-2017, 10:57 AM
(02-09-2017 10:19 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Went in to give blood because the blood supply is low. I'm O+ and have given more than a couple gallons over the years.

Complications, had to stop early, and now my arm has a minor injury. Nothing major and most of the swelling is gone. But damn I still feel like shit.

What if your blood saves the life of someone you'd rather see dead?
02-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Oh, hey, my old desktop speakers finally died. Still, almost 5 years out of $30 speakers isn't bad. Good excuse to upgrade at the very least.