Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
02-09-2017, 11:53 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(02-09-2017 12:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 11:12 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  WTF.

I am I just not aware enough, or is this shit almost exclusively an American problem..?

Sorry but your country its police and its officials are a fucking laughing stock and emotionally challenged. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2017, 12:00 PM
(02-09-2017 06:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Also, I worked out (painfully) how much each waffle would cost to make. If we brought ingredients from the grocery store (so if we bulk ordered it in from a supplier it would be cheaper) it will cost us $0.82 to make each waffle. We'd sell them at $6. If that's not great margins you can fuck off because that's fucking great margins.
And I can't fucking find Belgian waffle pre-mix wholesale anywhere. It's ridiculous. So it looks like we're gonna have to make our own.

Should've thought of this. Bubble Waffles

#sigh
02-09-2017, 12:10 PM
(02-09-2017 11:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 12:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I am I just not aware enough, or is this shit almost exclusively an American problem..?

Sorry but your country its police and its officials are a fucking laughing stock and emotionally challenged. Drinking Beverage

Worse than 'murrican police and officials?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
02-09-2017, 12:50 PM
(02-09-2017 03:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 02:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I still have our dalmatian iMac. It still works, barely. Our newer one is dying slowly now, the display isn't great anymore, and it's beginning to act mighty weird.

Since it's 8 years old (or more), we decided that might be time to just replace it before something bad happens and we lose everything.

My son built the man a machine. Seems pretty sweet so far. It boots super fast...

None of this effects me, since I use a MacBook Air (which is super fast too thanks to the SSD).

Probably for the best. My best friend's iMac (one of the newer all-in-one flat panels) has almost given up the ghost.

[Image: imac-2007.jpg]

He brought it over recently to see if I could diagnose it's issues. Mainly a series of inverted color bars running vertically through the display, but that changed size and position with resolution (meaning the trouble was not with the pixels). Best as I could figure out, the old system had suffered some sort of heat failure in the GPU. Not only did the inverted color bars change with the resolution, but even the running the desktop was choppy, the system could not maintain a decent frame-rate on the desktop. The thing had a really nice 1440p display, and it wasn't able to handle simple web browsing at it's native resolution at anything close to acceptable performance (and it wasn't spiking CPU, RAM, or HDD usage either).

Apple's all-in-one solution is elegant from the outside, but they're an absolute bitch to take apart and work on. Also their almost entirely proprietary design means that replacement parts are, and remain, exorbitantly expensive. A replacement graphics card would have set him back almost $300 dollars, because I'll be damned if the custom made ATI Radeon crammed into the system hadn't depreciated in price at all in well over 8 years. Plus that all-in-one design had all of the heat venting out of this small row of open air slots at the top, the thing was designed to effectively bake itself. I'm honestly surprised, given how shit it's thermal solution was, that the thing lasted as long as it did before suffering the electronic equivalent of a heat-stroke. Undecided

Even if you like Mac's, I'd strongly advise anyone away from one of those things. They're simply not built to last.

Actually, that Corsair case is the exact opposite use-case scenario. It's a dual chamber case, so it has separate hot and cool sides. It's large and open, with the entire front and top of the hot side open for ventilation, or which I facilitate with 5 separate 120mm fans (and a single 140mm fan at the rear for exhaust). Dual chamber cases are all about keeping things cool with maximal airflow, which it achieves by hiding the things that would otherwise interfere with airflow (hard drives, disk drives, IO ports, power supply) on the other side of the case, allowing for unrestricted airflow to the parts that need it for cooling. Another plus however, is that in being so open and roomy, they're a joy to assemble a PC in; and they're really easy to get back into for diagnostics or to upgrade hardware.

That looks like ours...Smile

Sounds like heat failure -- some years were worse than others with that issue. Our iMac we originally bought for our son 2009, when he was entering high school, when our current iMac began having issues a few years ago, he upgraded the ram, built himself a new machine, and gave husband and I his. We transferred all our stuff and have been using it since.

But it's old and it's maxed out on ram (4 gigs) and the display is finally going wonky at times and the OS can't be updated (not because of ram but the processor -- It is using El Capitan) . So throwing money into it isn't worth the trouble since after a couple more updates the support will certainly dwindle.

The new machine is waaaaaaaaay faster but we haven't transferred all the stuff and still need to find husband a mouse/keyboard that he likes (he wants kind of mouse that has a ball that moves because the one he's currently using hurts his wrist).

I'd like a keyboard that lights up, because it can be dark in that corner where the computer will live. Also, every keyboard has a feel...he loathes the laptop styled keyboards and frankly hates my laptop, which is fine by me.

Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-09-2017, 02:55 PM
(02-09-2017 12:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 11:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Do your cops get any training at all?

Why spend money on training when you could instead buy a tank?

Check the 10:40 minute mark.

That was depressing to watch, made more depressing by the fact that the incident was several years ago now, and clearly no one in a position to do anything about it learned anything.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-09-2017, 03:54 PM
(02-09-2017 10:57 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 10:19 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Went in to give blood because the blood supply is low. I'm O+ and have given more than a couple gallons over the years.

Complications, had to stop early, and now my arm has a minor injury. Nothing major and most of the swelling is gone. But damn I still feel like shit.

What if your blood saves the life of someone you'd rather see dead?
I have no control over who gets it. I do not have access to that information. Therefore, it is for intrinsic value. I can't put emotions into hypothetical situations.
02-09-2017, 04:24 PM
(02-09-2017 12:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I am I just not aware enough, or is this shit almost exclusively an American problem..?

Free Thought lives in Australia, not America.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
02-09-2017, 04:41 PM

Ummm what's wrong with Australia now?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Did something to back and now sitting in chair with a heating pad between it and the chair back. Angry

(02-09-2017 04:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 11:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Sorry but your country its police and its officials are a fucking laughing stock and emotionally challenged. Drinking Beverage

Ummm what's wrong with Australia now?

Beats me what's being talking about in this thread, but until the Australian government shuts down that Naru detention facility in Papua New Guinea where children have been trying to commit suicide rather than be sent back to, and people have literally sewn their mouths shut in protest, I'll take their government's advice on human rights with a grain of salt. Just like with ours.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2017, 05:29 PM
A few days from now will be one year since my *surrogate daughter* lost her five and a half month old daughter to SIDS.

The behavior of the so-called "preacher" at her funeral was so incredibly atrocious that I still cannot bring myself to speak about it beyond saying that he was clearly an uneducated Westboro Baptist Church wannabe and it was a major catalyst for me starting to tell people that I am atheist. Someday I will write about it here. As horrific as it was, it was an experience that I think every atheist should hear. (The more you know...)

I just tried to find a SIDS research place where I could make a donation in her memory. One place when I clicked on the donation link had a giant popup warning that the site was not secure and hackers may be trying to access credit card information. The next one had bible verses all over it. I feel sick.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post