Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
15-09-2017, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2017 06:19 AM by Shai Hulud.)
RE: Ranting corner
(15-09-2017 12:37 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(14-09-2017 02:30 PM)Loom Wrote:  One of my managers keeps marking me down for taking a longer break than I actually take. I don't even take a normal 15 minute break, more like 11 or 12. I set myself a timer, so there's no way I accidentally go over my time.

The only reason I'm ever late back to my post is if I get stopped by customers on the way to/from the breakroom, hence I shorten my breaks so it's usually not a problem.

Today, she marked me for taking a 30 minute break. This isn't the 1st time.

I wonder if I should go to HR over this.

Breaks being controlled by your boss by every single minute?
What business are you in? Pyramids?
Does your manager not have some real work to do, like.....managing your department?

My guess is retail. Not sure about Germany, but here, you don't tend to really have those whole pesky "rights" things. Or in theory you do, but often that's not the case. When I worked at K-Mart during my Masters, if you clocked in more than 30 seconds early or 30 seconds late, it was a write up on your file. Edit: And that was from break, or from going in. The exception being when they inevitably asked you to work longer than your scheduled shift due to call offs. Plus you'd frequently get caught by customers while off the clock, who felt "if you're wearing the uniform, you must help me, whether you're on the clock or not".

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
15-09-2017, 06:21 AM
(15-09-2017 12:37 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(14-09-2017 02:30 PM)Loom Wrote:  One of my managers keeps marking me down for taking a longer break than I actually take. I don't even take a normal 15 minute break, more like 11 or 12. I set myself a timer, so there's no way I accidentally go over my time.

The only reason I'm ever late back to my post is if I get stopped by customers on the way to/from the breakroom, hence I shorten my breaks so it's usually not a problem.

Today, she marked me for taking a 30 minute break. This isn't the 1st time.

I wonder if I should go to HR over this.

Breaks being controlled by your boss by every single minute?
What business are you in? Pyramids?
Does your manager not have some real work to do, like.....managing your department?

She controls it down to the second. And apparently your break starts the second you leave your register, nevermind how long it takes for you to go to and from the breakroom (which takes a few minutes), nevermind if you get stopped by customers along the way (which can take your whole break).

I honestly wonder how many 30 minute breaks I've 'taken.'

Ah the joys of retail.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
15-09-2017, 07:18 AM
I would quit that job, now, no further explanations or questions needed. Shocking

Of course being in contact with customers necessitates you being more felxible and stuff, but i consider such behaviour as your boss(ess) shows almost like harassment. It is also utterly stupid from a management view, and thats why i consider your boss being incompetent /inefficient (in need to be *replaced*). Such behaviour as hers only can result in employees doing exactly the minimum required for the job to be done, not less, because she controls you 24/7 and not more, because her obsessive control will result in zero motivation.
Its like slave labour, its looks cheap/free at first glance but inefficient and burdened with implicit costs (of overseers) once you have a closer look.
I have worked 10y in an environment where we had to do customer reviews with out OEMs (no end customers tho, i still was part of R&D) and even the worst SoB Daimler guys didnt expect us to bend over backwards.

tl;dr
Imho this management attitude is ancient, medieval, utterly outdated and your boss is useless and needs to be fired, not you.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
15-09-2017, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2017 07:35 AM by Loom.)
(15-09-2017 07:18 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I would quit that job, now, no further explanations or questions needed. Shocking

Of course being in contact with customers necessitates you being more felxible and stuff, but i consider such behaviour as your boss(ess) shows almost like harassment. It is also utterly stupid from a management view, and thats why i consider your boss being incompetent /inefficient (in need to be *replaced*). Such behaviour as hers only can result in employees doing exactly the minimum required for the job to be done, not less, because she controls you 24/7 and not more, because her obsessive control will result in zero motivation.
Its like slave labour, its looks cheap/free at first glance but inefficient and burdened with implicit costs (of overseers) once you have a closer look.
I have worked 10y in an environment where we had to do customer reviews with out OEMs (no end customers tho, i still was part of R&D) and even the worst SoB Daimler guys didnt expect us to bend over backwards.

tl;dr
Imho this management attitude is ancient, medieval, utterly outdated and your boss is useless and needs to be fired, not you.

I am job hunting atm. I plan to take classes in the spring so I can work on getting my Graphic Design degree. Unfortunately 99% of the jobs in Graphic Design and Illustration don't accept self-taught artists, even though I've been doing this for 10+ years, have experience with InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc, and have a decent portfolio Dodgy

I also plan to start taking commissions to help supplement my meager pay.

Edit: might I add, most days I don't even get my breaks, just a lunch. This I blame on upper management because they schedule us with a skeleton crew.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
15-09-2017, 02:02 PM
(14-09-2017 03:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(14-09-2017 11:45 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sex crimes are the ones that squick me...

For a criminal law paper, I had to form a defense for a child rapist. Told my professor I have never felt so filthy in my life. To top it off, I was the only student who did that part, and she told my classmates only one student did it. They figured it out.

But isn't that what your hero Hillary Clinton did? She got a guy off of the charges and there are videos of her laughing about it.

Yet, you all claim she was the better candidate.
15-09-2017, 02:28 PM
(15-09-2017 02:02 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(14-09-2017 03:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  For a criminal law paper, I had to form a defense for a child rapist. Told my professor I have never felt so filthy in my life. To top it off, I was the only student who did that part, and she told my classmates only one student did it. They figured it out.

But isn't that what your hero Hillary Clinton did? She got a guy off of the charges and there are videos of her laughing about it.

Fake news

The Russians are proud of you for sharing this.

Yes, I've actually done my own homework on this long ago. I'm far from being a fan of Clinton too, but that story was complete crap.

Clinton, you bash her for whatever you want but she did work very hard on women's rights.

Your guy bragged about being able to grab women by the pussy, which wasn't fake news. His voice, his words and he admitted it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 12 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-09-2017, 02:45 PM
I admit too that I'm no big fan of Clinton, but I voted for her because Trump is far, far, worse.
15-09-2017, 02:54 PM
(15-09-2017 02:45 PM)pablo Wrote:  I admit too that I'm no big fan of Clinton, but I voted for her because Trump is far, far, worse.

I used to defend Dubya when he was president. People getting on him for shit that he had nothing to do with, or I couldn't blame him for. There was plenty of shit that he did actually do and mishandle that I refuse to fault him for shit he didn't actually do.

It doesn't matter if I like the person or not (which in the case of both W and Clinton both in the "not" category), but nothing pisses me off more than people who invent shit that aligns with (I hate this person so this too must be true) their notions about them.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-09-2017, 03:58 PM
(15-09-2017 02:02 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(14-09-2017 03:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  For a criminal law paper, I had to form a defense for a child rapist. Told my professor I have never felt so filthy in my life. To top it off, I was the only student who did that part, and she told my classmates only one student did it. They figured it out.

First of all, NO GODDAMN POLITICIAN is my fucking hero. Hillary, Trump, Bernie, Johnson, and Stein were the biggest fucking group of shits that we've had running.

Don't you fucking dare call her or any of them my goddamn hero.

Fuck you and fuck your shit post. Any respect I had for you is fucking gone.
[+] 4 users Like Clockwork's post
15-09-2017, 04:53 PM
(15-09-2017 03:58 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(15-09-2017 02:02 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  But isn't that what your hero Hillary Clinton did? She got a guy off of the charges and there are videos of her laughing about it.

First of all, NO GODDAMN POLITICIAN is my fucking hero. Hillary, Trump, Bernie, Johnson, and Stein were the biggest fucking group of shits that we've had running.

Don't you fucking dare call her or any of them my goddamn hero.

Fuck you and fuck your shit post. Any respect I had for you is fucking gone.

Given the amount of racist immature batshit stupid things he has said I wonder how anyone had any respect for him to begin with.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post