Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-09-2017, 07:10 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(24-09-2017 06:49 AM)Loom Wrote:  Is there a full moon or something? I seem to be having a streak of bad customers.

Yesterday I had a lady who was buying a bunch of broken bags--mulch, soil, rock, and one bag of lawn fertilizer. Her total was about $56.

Welp, her card kept declining, so she decided to pay cash, but didn't have enough for it all. So she decided to take off the fertilizer first, since it was the priciest item.

Now, our broken bags are placed into a larger plastic bag in order to keep them from spilling. So what does she do? Grip the bag so hard that a hole opens up.

The fertilizer begins to pour out, onto my counter, onto her cart, onto everything. This is bag can cover 15,000 square feet. So there's a lot.

We only have regular grocery bags and sheets of plastic at the register, both of which'll do no good, so I tell her to set the bag on the ground so it'll at least stop pouring.

She stands there.

It's still pouring.

Not thinking, I go around my register to take it from her and end up with fertilizer all over my hands, arms, legs, and in my shoes.

By now the bag is virtually empty. There's now a moderately sized mound blocking my register.

She apologised and asked what her new total was.

I have to use paper towel to touch my register in order not to gunk it up.

Even though the total dropped by half, she still doesn't have enough cash. I ask her how much cash she does have, but she wordlessly grabs more bags off her cart. Throwing them on top of the fertilizer mound. A couple of these also burst, adding rock and soil to the pile.

Again she asks me her total. About $15 now.

She grabs more bags , one of which bursts open completely because she picked it up at the wrong end. More rock everywhere.

I ask again how much cash she has to work with, but she keeps taking off more bags. Mulch has now burst everywhere. My hands are turning red and starting to burn from the fertilizer.

Finally, she's down to just 3 bags, soil and mulch. At least a dozen bags are piled next to her atop a mound of loose mulch, rock, soil, and of course, 15,000 square feet's worth of fertilizer. My register is a complete mess.

She buys these bags with $7.00 and leaves with a brief apology.

I have to call backup to clean up the mess, and so I can run to the restroom to wash off the fertilizer. It takes us nearly 20 minutes to clean it up. Because of how marked down the bags were, we got virtually nothing from her $7.00. Nearly all the bags that she left were a total loss, costing us over $45.

Sometimes I wonder how I manage to stay polite.

Is that... I mean fuck, if she came in there and just started ripping shit she'd have to pay surely? Is there no recourse?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2017, 07:13 AM
(24-09-2017 07:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 06:49 AM)Loom Wrote:  Is there a full moon or something? I seem to be having a streak of bad customers.

Yesterday I had a lady who was buying a bunch of broken bags--mulch, soil, rock, and one bag of lawn fertilizer. Her total was about $56.

Welp, her card kept declining, so she decided to pay cash, but didn't have enough for it all. So she decided to take off the fertilizer first, since it was the priciest item.

Now, our broken bags are placed into a larger plastic bag in order to keep them from spilling. So what does she do? Grip the bag so hard that a hole opens up.

The fertilizer begins to pour out, onto my counter, onto her cart, onto everything. This is bag can cover 15,000 square feet. So there's a lot.

We only have regular grocery bags and sheets of plastic at the register, both of which'll do no good, so I tell her to set the bag on the ground so it'll at least stop pouring.

She stands there.

It's still pouring.

Not thinking, I go around my register to take it from her and end up with fertilizer all over my hands, arms, legs, and in my shoes.

By now the bag is virtually empty. There's now a moderately sized mound blocking my register.

She apologised and asked what her new total was.

I have to use paper towel to touch my register in order not to gunk it up.

Even though the total dropped by half, she still doesn't have enough cash. I ask her how much cash she does have, but she wordlessly grabs more bags off her cart. Throwing them on top of the fertilizer mound. A couple of these also burst, adding rock and soil to the pile.

Again she asks me her total. About $15 now.

She grabs more bags , one of which bursts open completely because she picked it up at the wrong end. More rock everywhere.

I ask again how much cash she has to work with, but she keeps taking off more bags. Mulch has now burst everywhere. My hands are turning red and starting to burn from the fertilizer.

Finally, she's down to just 3 bags, soil and mulch. At least a dozen bags are piled next to her atop a mound of loose mulch, rock, soil, and of course, 15,000 square feet's worth of fertilizer. My register is a complete mess.

She buys these bags with $7.00 and leaves with a brief apology.

I have to call backup to clean up the mess, and so I can run to the restroom to wash off the fertilizer. It takes us nearly 20 minutes to clean it up. Because of how marked down the bags were, we got virtually nothing from her $7.00. Nearly all the bags that she left were a total loss, costing us over $45.

Sometimes I wonder how I manage to stay polite.

Is that... I mean fuck, if she came in there and just started ripping shit she'd have to pay surely? Is there no recourse?

Not if you work in corporate retail. The customer is always right, even when they fck things up! Now get back to work you lowly cashier.

Yeah I'm job hunting right now Drinking Beverage

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
24-09-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm missing my dad so much today. Sadcryface I'm about a week away from the 2-year anniversary of his death. When does it stop hurting so much? Sad

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
24-09-2017, 11:28 AM
(24-09-2017 11:26 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I'm missing my dad so much today. Sadcryface I'm about a week away from the 2-year anniversary of his death. When does it stop hurting so much? Sad

Unfortunately it never does, you just learn to cope with it better Sad

Have a hug Hug

[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
24-09-2017, 11:28 AM
I broke down in the car earlier this week just from having to pull to the side of the road so an ambulance could get to an emergency. I thought I was past the ambulances upsetting me so much. But I saw it and just flashed back to seeing him lying there on the ground and the medics working over him and hoping they could help him, but knowing it was too late already. What a horrible memory to have burned into your brain.

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
24-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Loom Hug

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
24-09-2017, 11:29 AM
(24-09-2017 11:28 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I broke down in the car earlier this week just from having to pull to the side of the road so an ambulance could get to an emergency. I thought I was past the ambulances upsetting me so much. But I saw it and just flashed back to seeing him lying there on the ground and the medics working over him and hoping they could help him, but knowing it was too late already. What a horrible memory to have burned into your brain.

Sad

I'm so sorry...I feel the same way about my dog whenever we visit her old vet. How weak she was, how desperate I was, how unfair it was...

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
24-09-2017, 11:52 AM
I've been out for most of today, came home and found a copy of Watchtower had been posted through my letterbox.
They know full well I don't like it, they even had the cheek to write sorry I missed you on the front.
To be fair it looks quite entertaining... it's all about good and bad angels, should be good for a laugh Smile

Get your own bleeding hymn book
24-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Sorry EA Hug

--

God, the Jaguars and Ravens knelt during the National Anthem, expressing their First Amendment rights, and the people who are always "my Constitution" are flipping the Hell out. It's like every Civics teacher and veteran on my Facebook feed is being attacked for saying they have a right to do that, with some folks demanding the veterans "give your fucking paycheck back you chcicken [sic] shit bastard and get the fuck out of my country. U [sic] don't love America you fucker."

(24-09-2017 07:13 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 07:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  Is that... I mean fuck, if she came in there and just started ripping shit she'd have to pay surely? Is there no recourse?

Not if you work in corporate retail. The customer is always right, even when they fck things up! Now get back to work you lowly cashier.

Yeah I'm job hunting right now Drinking Beverage

Sorry Loom Hug You're reminding me why I'm so glad to not be in retail any more. My last day of a certain store with blue light specials, was both horrible and great.

I'd gotten a graduate assistantship at my Masters program two weeks prior and submitted my two weeks notice then. It was my last shift...as always they underscheduled people and then had call-offs. I was covering the entire store except for pharmacy, jewelry, and the front registers. There was a line out the lay-away door that stretched beyond where I could see. Lines 1-5 on the phone that they kept announcing were for departments I was covering. Someone in electronics, outside the lay-away, kept pushing a button for service that caused the intercom to go off. I had technically had my last shift end 45 minutes ago, but my replacement had yet to show.

I was about to go get a woman's stuff in the lay-away when a woman who made me look skinny pushed past the line and erupted at me, "I've been pushing the button for help for twenty minutes". No, it was more like 5.
"I'm sorry ma'am, I'm helping someone else right now."
"Well you get your fat ass out there and stop helping this fucking bitch if you give a fuck about me spending money in your store. I want an iPod and I've waited long enough for it. You can't tell me you're the only one in this store that knows how to run this." Entire line looks ready to scream at this woman for pushing past them and the woman she just called a 'fucking bitch' looks ready to cry.
"Ma'am, I am the only one in this store right now, trained to run lay-away. Also ma'am, I honestly don't give a fuck if you spend money in this store. I stopped working here 45 minutes ago technically. This is my last day, and I'm currently here out of the goodness of my heart." turn to woman I'd been helping, "Miss, I'm sorry she treated you like that, I'll be right back with your things."

Even as I turned to go get the stuff, the angry woman stormed out. When I came back down, my manager and my replacement were down there, with angry woman. I gave the lady who was waiting her things and apologized for the wait and the rude treatment. It turned out, angry woman had neglected to tell manager about cursing at other customers. Something the rest of the line was happy to back me up on. She'd only mentioned my saying I didn't give a fuck if she spent money in the store. Angry woman was asked to leave, due to the hostile environment she was creating for other customers...so happy ending with that last shift, right? Haha, no, it's like Loom said, the customer is always right. Manager takes me aside as my replacement starts helping the next person in line, and yells at me to clock out and tells me in a very raised voice that I'll never be able to get a job with that company again. Good riddance. Edit: Also I looked out of curiosity on the way out; we had no iPods in stock, so angry lady was angry over non-existent product.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
24-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Chipmunks are pure evil.

Just saw them go after a baby squirrel. It was funny and disturbing.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces