Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(02-01-2013 02:41 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 02:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  "breasticulated"... hey! I like that one. Very Dylan Thomas-esque.
Quelle surprise! Drinking Beverage

You'd think... but no, it's forced, like she's trying oh, so hard to prove she's cool. But she's just stupid. And ugly. Though it might look stupider to me because of all the unimaginable idiocy that surrounds it...

Anj - not enough money in the world. Or booze!

Well indeed... context is all.

Therein lies the difference between information vs. knowledge.

You only gave me information (and I liked it) but I bow to your knowledge.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
(02-01-2013 02:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ...his whole body went WAKEY-WAKEY...

I feel barfy-barfy and unclean now. Shocking Sadcryface
It's ALL like this. You've no idea. Actually, I'm showing remarkable restraint by not quoting half of the book here. Or going to the States and killing her with my bare hands [Image: k_choke.gif]

(02-01-2013 02:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well indeed... context is all.
Nah, you just liked the idea of jiggling breasts and bouncing boobies Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
02-01-2013, 03:03 PM
(02-01-2013 02:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  A couple of quick and really stupid ones from today (they are nearly all as stupid, but still...)
"Manny reached out and gathered her hand into his own—and the instant he made contact, his whole body went wakey-wakey on him, as if she were the socket to his inner plug."

"in fact, something in his eyes made her … uncurl on the inside."

And then there is this little gem:

"When he held out his black AmEx, she breasticulated wildly to accept the damn thing, bending over so far she might as well have been trying to pick a swizzle stick off the floor with her nipples."

I really need to read the Geneva Convention...you shouldn't have to deal with this. Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
(02-01-2013 03:03 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 02:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  A couple of quick and really stupid ones from today (they are nearly all as stupid, but still...)
"Manny reached out and gathered her hand into his own—and the instant he made contact, his whole body went wakey-wakey on him, as if she were the socket to his inner plug."

"in fact, something in his eyes made her … uncurl on the inside."

And then there is this little gem:

"When he held out his black AmEx, she breasticulated wildly to accept the damn thing, bending over so far she might as well have been trying to pick a swizzle stick off the floor with her nipples."

I really need to read the Geneva Convention...you shouldn't have to deal with this. Weeping
The worst part is, people are actually praising her for her STYLE. Being addicted to vampire willies I can somehow wrap my mind around, but actually thinking the writing is good, when it's so bad, it could get a person out of a coma and make him hang himself with his own catheter... No

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I read a wide variety of things but have never understood the appeal of the "romance novel"....just reading the covers made me gag and that was years ago. I don't even like to touch them or be seen walking through that section in a book store. But I know a lot of women love them and collect them all so I suppose you are doing a service...of some sort...ICK...poor Vera. Sadcryface No Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
(02-01-2013 02:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 02:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well indeed... context is all.

Nah, you just liked the idea of jiggling breasts and bouncing boobies Angel

I challenge your use of the word "just".

02-01-2013, 03:14 PM
(02-01-2013 03:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I read a wide variety of things but have never understood the appeal of the "romance novel"....just reading the covers made me gag and that was years ago. I don't even like to touch them or be seen walking through that section in a book store. But I know a lot of women love them and collect them all so I suppose you are doing a service...of some sort...ICK...poor Vera. Sadcryface No Blink
Same here. Would never touch them with a barge pole... And then this befell me... Oh well, we all have to pay for our sins somehow, I guess.

(02-01-2013 03:11 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I challenge your use of the word "just".
I thought you might challenge the tense of the verb Angel

02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
(02-01-2013 03:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 03:11 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I challenge your use of the word "just".
I thought you might challenge the tense of the verb Angel

I was gonna but I went for brevity 'cos I thought it more punchy.

btw, I am a big fan of Dylan Thomas and his invented words. I hear Richard Burton as he read Under Milk Wood when I browse his (DT's) verses.

I would love to read an early critique from before his fame... I bet the critic would have pooh-poohed his use of language.

02-01-2013, 03:29 PM
(02-01-2013 03:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  btw, I am a big fan of Dylan Thomas and his invented words. I hear Richard Burton as he read Under Milk Wood when I browse his (DT's) verses.

I would love to read an early critique from before his fame... I bet the critic would have pooh-poohed his use of language.
Could be. But sometimes bad is just bad. And trying to be original fails spectacularly.

Speaking of Dylan Thomas, I'm really unhappy with the Bulgarian translation of his most famous poem. It was done by a professor of mine, but I think his translation of "rage" is just bad. This same professor once had too many people wanting to join a translation course he was teaching (that was in the MA programme, so these are already somewhat educated people), so he gives them all a page to translate, reads them and then calls the names of a bunch of people and says, in front of the whole class: "You could never ever be a translator. Leave this classroom." What a complete and utter wanker. Have hated his arrogant guts with a passion ever since I heard this story.

02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
(02-01-2013 03:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 03:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  I thought you might challenge the tense of the verb Angel

I was gonna but I went for brevity 'cos I thought it more punchy.

btw, I am a big fan of Dylan Thomas and his invented words. I hear Richard Burton as he read Under Milk Wood when I browse his (DT's) verses.

I'd listen to Richard Burton reading the freakin' telephone book. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post