Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
19-05-2012, 10:27 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(18-05-2012 08:56 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-05-2012 04:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking cats. I'm getting ready to catch some zees, and sure enough, Mofo starts up with the meow, meow, meow... chase him up the stairs a few times, but then he gets stubborn and just sits there.... sux that that little mofo knows that I ain't gonna kill him. Tongue
Why don't you just sic George on him. Big Grin
Cause George plays with 'em. But if there's a human encouraging it, kitties will get ate. Then I'll be sad. Sad

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-05-2012, 10:29 AM
(19-05-2012 07:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The god damn toes on my fucking right foot.

Flatmates put a hex on you. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-05-2012, 07:14 PM
(19-05-2012 10:29 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 07:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The god damn toes on my fucking right foot.

Flatmates put a hex on you. Tongue
Bastards!

There is a problem with the start a business from your home thing.
Firstly, the business I want to get into, well, lets just say there is no chance of starting that from my bedroom. Not without some major major major renovations. And even then I'd still need a shit load of cash.

Second, yeah there is no way I'm getting into the food business.
Restaurants, something like 80% fail in the first 5years. They pop up just as quick as they disappear. Not to mention it is in no way shape or form an efficient form of business. Do you know how much food gets chucked away? Money in the bin.
Not to mention all other stages in the food process. Farming for example, price takers, no way I'm being a farmer. Supermarket, need huge amount of land and start up capital not to mention a franchise name with costs. Not to mention the amount of staff they hire, god damn they hire a lot of staff.
Orchard, yeah if I want all my hard work to go down the crapper to some shitty tiny fruit fly thing.

Thirdly, I don't know how to code so count Facebook 2 out. (not to mention the name Facebook 2 would clearly be plagiarizing the Facebook brand and I'd get sued.)

But yeah I get what you mean. The thing is, with pretty much any business, even small business in your bedroom, you need initial funds. When I say I have no money, I mean $0.00
At least until June.

Mmmmm, I'll think of something, shit always works itself out. (story of my life really, 'shit works itself out')
Find all posts by this user
19-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Plenty of people have made lots of money out of their bedrooms. Ask around with your local pimps on how to get started.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-05-2012, 07:56 PM
The problem I have is they all have something I don't, I workable idea.

Well, sorta. I have had an idea since last year that I could buy computer ware, put them all together and on-sell the result, but I don't know how doable that is, I can't imagine the profit to be very good, computer hardware all added up is pretty much the same as if you just brought a computer with all the same hardware.
19-05-2012, 08:12 PM
So I get a few extra ducats and I buy a much desired refrigerator with ice maker. Now I wonder the fuck why? When I don't want ice, the bin fills up to over-flowing and I throw some of it out because it begins to get stale (yes, ice goes stale). Then when I do want ice, it makes like 12 cubes every 24 hours. Aaaargh! Why me, God? Why me????

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Everyone dreams of starting a business big, you know, getting a *big* loan, having an *awesome* product idea, hiring a bunch of really motivated, dedicated employees... Selling loads of product... and 2 years later your a damn billionaire right? You're fucking laid for the rest of your life.

It don't work like that. You've got literally zero chance if you start that way. Even Google started in a garage, and they worked on the idea for years before they even moved into the garage. Business is *fucking hard work*. You can't just waltz in and have a bright idea and start the next amazon or general motors. Bright ideas are good, but you have to put in the legwork to change a bright idea into reality.

Doing things the starting big way is *risky*. Let's say you have your awesome idea, get your incredible, big loan, hire a bunch of employees, start cranking out your product and oddly enough people aren't buying it at quite the rate you thought. Now you're *committed*. You can't just suddenly back out. You've got to sell that product. You have employees to pay. You have a debt to repay. And even if people continue to buy the product, but at just a fraction slower rate than you thought... your company eventually goes bust and you're left with a huge debt. Isn't that *fun* ? Dodgy

Surely your university offers entrepreneurial courses? Go *do* one with your copious free time.

Also the on-selling computer thing isn't a bad idea at all. Sure, profits maybe not that great. But hey, you know, people find a way to make a living off it - every town has a small computer store now... what's their secret? I like the on-selling computers because it's easy to *start small* and *grow*. In fact, another dorm room success story, my friend from uni (who already was pretty well off) did exactly that for years. He didn't bother to grow the business, he just ran it while he was at uni. Even so he made a ton of cash, 'cos everyone knew that if you wanted a slightly cheaper computer Dave was the go-to guy. Also he would fix up old computers for you, stick in a new hard drive and so on. If he'd wanted to, he could have *easily* turned that into a full fledged business with premises and employees and the works - he *had an existing customer base*.
20-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Can I just say that I am not an idiot. I am fully aware of hard work required to start and operate a business as well as the high possibility of things not going as planned. I am fully aware of the idea of owning a business.
I do not expect to become a billionaire overnight (I know it may take a week or two). I want to operate my own business not because of money (well... that is a slight lie) but because I like the idea of working for myself. I am rewarded for how much effort I put in, I am rewarded for my efforts and/or business savyness. I have had a extremely bad history of extremely bad bosses and I have come to the conclusion that working for somebody else is 100% absolutely not for me.
I mean look at German, obviously very good at his job and what happens? gets fired.
I do not like the idea of working below someone and for someone who is control of my "destiny" (for lack of better word). It doesn't appeal to me one little bit.
Plus like your friend, you can expand at your own rate. You want to stay small then that is fine, if you're successful and want to branch out then that is available too.
Flexibility and control.

Plus, the industry I want to get into is not exactly a product that you would put on a shelf and anyway you look at it you need a large initial capital start up fund there is no getting around it. Impossible to start in your garage.

And it is too late to start new papers, there's only 4 weeks in this semester left. Next semester I have 5 papers though.

And yeah I was looking into it more. Could even sell them on trade-me, which is the New Zealand version of e-bay. Only catch is.. well.. how am I gonna get the finished result to the post office? seriously, I don't have a car nor my car license. I ride a motorbike.
20-05-2012, 05:47 AM
See picture, I have nothing to add!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
20-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Apologies if I came across as condescending. I know you're not an idiot.

With the whole "I don't want to be a wage slave" thing... yeah, I thought the same way. But a job = money in your pocket, *without* going into debt. A job is a safety net. As long as your contract doesn't say "the only way to terminate this is through death of the employee" you're still free.