Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
22-02-2013, 04:52 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(22-02-2013 04:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I think I am beginning to regret my choice of scientific courses for school this year, especially Scientific Studies.

I used to consider myself (quite foolishly I now see) as pretty damn savvy with and in the world of science.
OH BOY was I wrong.

My Scientific Studies teacher has an interesting teaching method, he tends to go off on random tangents, for instance; A previous teacher had hung a periodic table of elements on one of the whiteboards in class. So my teacher asked the class (about a total of 7-10 boys, myself included) how, if Hydrogen is the most prominent thing around, are other elements made. Nobody in the class could think of an answer, my teacher proceeded to inform us that it's just an electron and proton being added, two hydrogen fused makes helium and so on for heavier elements (something to that degree, I don't remember exactly what he said). He added, that as the electrons and protons are added, the atom gets both bigger and smaller at the same time, naturally, he asked us how this could be; Of course, nobody knew. He looked at us, almost everybody had a blank face, aside from me, he pointed out. I wore a thoroughly puzzled face. He said the nucleus gets bigger, but the orbit of the electrons gets smaller.

Now, I should tell you, currently, and then, we were/are studying the efficiency of fuels, gas specifically at the time (did you know it is so much easier to boil crude oil that to combust coal? I had to hold a Bunsen burner, burning at full tilt for about five minutes to get a 49.8g pile of coal to light it for a sec seconds, but I accidentally got crude oil up to and over 160 C in a little over half the time).

And that is just one example. In another, he decided to talk about space, the size of things in it of course. And before that, out of nowhere he decided to tell us about gravity being the weakest force; To demonstrate his point, after he talked about how powerful gravity must be to keep objects like Jupiter and Saturn in check around the sun, he picked up a chair looked at the floor, mocked gravity and Earth and told us it is the weakest force. (Of course I knew that one already, but his method of teaching everybody else was interesting)

The point of this rant is simply to say:

I am almost totally disillusioned. The more I learn in my Scientific Studies and Biology classes, the more I learn about reality, the more I learn about reality just goes to show me just of how much I truly don't know.

Now I can see why the religious are so content to stay in their scientifically ignorant bubbles.

I don't understand your negative feelings. I would think you'd be quite chuffed with this opportunity. Consider

Sounds like a decent teacher. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 06:14 PM
(22-02-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-02-2013 04:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I think I am beginning to regret my choice of scientific courses for school this year, especially Scientific Studies.

I used to consider myself (quite foolishly I now see) as pretty damn savvy with and in the world of science.
OH BOY was I wrong.

My Scientific Studies teacher has an interesting teaching method, he tends to go off on random tangents, for instance; A previous teacher had hung a periodic table of elements on one of the whiteboards in class. So my teacher asked the class (about a total of 7-10 boys, myself included) how, if Hydrogen is the most prominent thing around, are other elements made. Nobody in the class could think of an answer, my teacher proceeded to inform us that it's just an electron and proton being added, two hydrogen fused makes helium and so on for heavier elements (something to that degree, I don't remember exactly what he said). He added, that as the electrons and protons are added, the atom gets both bigger and smaller at the same time, naturally, he asked us how this could be; Of course, nobody knew. He looked at us, almost everybody had a blank face, aside from me, he pointed out. I wore a thoroughly puzzled face. He said the nucleus gets bigger, but the orbit of the electrons gets smaller.

Now, I should tell you, currently, and then, we were/are studying the efficiency of fuels, gas specifically at the time (did you know it is so much easier to boil crude oil that to combust coal? I had to hold a Bunsen burner, burning at full tilt for about five minutes to get a 49.8g pile of coal to light it for a sec seconds, but I accidentally got crude oil up to and over 160 C in a little over half the time).

And that is just one example. In another, he decided to talk about space, the size of things in it of course. And before that, out of nowhere he decided to tell us about gravity being the weakest force; To demonstrate his point, after he talked about how powerful gravity must be to keep objects like Jupiter and Saturn in check around the sun, he picked up a chair looked at the floor, mocked gravity and Earth and told us it is the weakest force. (Of course I knew that one already, but his method of teaching everybody else was interesting)

I am almost totally disillusioned. The more I learn in my Scientific Studies and Biology classes, the more I learn about reality, the more I learn about reality just goes to show me just of how much I truly don't know.

Now I can see why the religious are so content to stay in their scientifically ignorant bubbles.

I don't understand your negative feelings. I would think you'd be quite chuffed with this opportunity. Consider

I was quite happy in my ignorance bubble....

I'm happier now though.

Fuck that bubble!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
22-02-2013, 06:48 PM

OH BOY was I wrong.

My thought process behind religion also.
The more knowledge I gather, mostly about history (like specifics mainly such as the political situation of the time or whatever) but also some science the more you understand why everyone else is so fucking stupid/religious.
Ignorance is bliss for them I guess.

As for the elements forming to make heavier elements, it's all done in stars. Within the stars the elements and shit collide and fuse to form heavier elements, ie: Helium. This forms the first 7 elements I believe. To get the rest you need more power. Super nova's create more of the even heavier elements and then finally planets through intense pressure and heat create the remaining elements (such as gold I believe).

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
22-02-2013, 07:04 PM
(22-02-2013 01:40 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-02-2013 01:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Wow and here I thought English is difficult
How about this:
"Bulgarian verbs express lexical aspect: either imperfective or perfective. The former describe actions in progress (uncompleted actions) and the latter whole completed actions (actions which have a beginning and an end). So in Bulgarian an English verb is usually translated by two verbs (or sometimes by even three). Perfective verbs can be usually formed from imperfective ones by suffixation or prefixation, but when prefixes (or very rarely suffixes) are used the resultant verb often deviates in meaning from the original. It is better to learn the pairs of verbs by heart because there are not any strict rules and irregularities are very common."

And don't even get me started on the plurals. Three genders (both for adjectives and nouns), each - with about 5-6 different ways of forming the plural. And that's not counting the exceptions.

Thank god I didn't have to learn any rules, 'cause the whole language is one big exception Dodgy

That's sounds crazy...but guess it makes sense to Bulgarians Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-02-2013, 11:03 PM
(22-02-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't understand your negative feelings. I would think you'd be quite chuffed with this opportunity. Consider

Depends on how good a job of 'splainin' he's doing. If he's just making a random disconnected bunch of statements like 'gravity is the weakest force' and so on without... I dunno, amplifying his point... then all he's doing is trying to impress kiddies with his scientific knowledge. The point of science is to systematize understanding of the world, not to make magic statements... I've had teachers before who thought they were clever because they'd absorbed some fact or other and could proudly present it to us from on high as truth - if that's the kind of shit he's up to...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-02-2013, 11:11 PM
(22-02-2013 11:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-02-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't understand your negative feelings. I would think you'd be quite chuffed with this opportunity. Consider

Depends on how good a job of 'splainin' he's doing. If he's just making a random disconnected bunch of statements like 'gravity is the weakest force' and so on without... I dunno, amplifying his point... then all he's doing is trying to impress kiddies with his scientific knowledge. The point of science is to systematize understanding of the world, not to make magic statements... I've had teachers before who thought they were clever because they'd absorbed some fact or other and could proudly present it to us from on high as truth - if that's the kind of shit he's up to...

The teacher goes on tangents, but will make a small topic of the whole thing, so it's not so much a blurting off facts as going off track when there is nothing else to do in class.

Sorry if I was a bit vague on that.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-02-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm so sad! Norman Reedus is going to be at comic-con this weekend and I can't go!! Weeping
23-02-2013, 06:42 AM
I found a female version of me tonight at a friends 21st.
Funny, pretty, smart, sarcastic, dislike for piearcings and tatoos.

If I didn't like the cock I'd so go there.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
23-02-2013, 12:55 PM
(23-02-2013 06:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I found a female version of me tonight at a friends 21st.

strap-on

[Image: tumblr_lhv8hxRSiR1qa6ot3.gif]

No one's more disgusted than I am. With myself. If you'll excuse me, I think I'll go take a quick shower. With bleach. Weeping

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2013, 01:49 PM
(23-02-2013 06:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I found a female version of me tonight at a friends 21st.

That's kinda sweet. Maybe you should reach out... real chicks dig straight gay men. Of course, she might try to get you to take out the garbage... Dodgy

Other than that, women can actually be quite fun and get you into a whole different kind of trouble you never thought possible. Take a chance man, the value of a friend only appreciates. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post