Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
31-05-2013, 09:42 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(30-05-2013 10:32 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So, this forced me to manage my money.

Vehicle ownership is a money pit when you're a student. I wouldn't recommend it...

But no, sounds like you've got the student diet figured right out. Bulk rice and pasta (though, better to mix it up with the occasional beans, lentils, potatoes, etc). Bulk vegetables - fresh is better than frozen, but of course frozen keeps. Don't be afraid to get the traditional poor man's food like cabbage and onions. Actually if you get squashes, you can roast the seeds, that's way better than chips anyway. Tofu is dirt cheap and extremely healthy. Get some sports drink and mix it, like 5:1 or 6:1 with water, that makes for some good hydration.

What I do is I set up a small monthly payment to charity. So that when I think, "gee, that $20 a month would really be nice", I have to counter myself with, "yeah, but do I really need it more than starving African children?", and I find some other way to save a few bucks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2013, 10:24 AM
(31-05-2013 09:42 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-05-2013 10:32 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So, this forced me to manage my money.

Vehicle ownership is a money pit when you're a student. I wouldn't recommend it...

But no, sounds like you've got the student diet figured right out. Bulk rice and pasta (though, better to mix it up with the occasional beans, lentils, potatoes, etc). Bulk vegetables - fresh is better than frozen, but of course frozen keeps. Don't be afraid to get the traditional poor man's food like cabbage and onions. Actually if you get squashes, you can roast the seeds, that's way better than chips anyway. Tofu is dirt cheap and extremely healthy. Get some sports drink and mix it, like 5:1 or 6:1 with water, that makes for some good hydration.

What I do is I set up a small monthly payment to charity. So that when I think, "gee, that $20 a month would really be nice", I have to counter myself with, "yeah, but do I really need it more than starving African children?", and I find some other way to save a few bucks.

Fresh veg here isn't cheap. Well, it's cheapish, but frozen is much cheaper.
Like a head of broccoli is $2.49. But I can't just have broccoli so I'll need to get some carrots which are also about $2.49 for a kg or something like that. Then I need to get some potatoes which are about the same. So buying fresh veg adds up. AND then it doesn't last very long. Frozen veg though I can buy frozen peas/carrots/corn (mixed), a kg of that for $3.49 and it'll last twice as long.
It might not be as good for me as fresh stuff but it still tastes good and like you say, it keeps.

The problem I have is that I'm pretty fussy when it comes to food. Annoying I know but it can't be helped. So I don't like squash (or any of that family like pumpkin), cabbage (or lettuce for that matter), onion, lentils (love beans but their expensive unless I buy frozen beans) and I sure as fuck don't like tofu. And I hate those sports drinks too, I'd rather drink water. I would stop buying the coke too (I don't buy energy drink all the time only when the one I like is on special) but it's really cheap, like $1.99 for a 1.5L so I don't mind. Plus, I don't drink so I figured I'm aloud one vice. It's okay though, the frozen vegetable section is pretty broad. Mixed veg and/or just corn is usually what I get because I love corn, peas and carrots. Though I can get beans and stir fry vegetables and all those other stuff. I do mix it up. Oh and for potato I'm just buying shoe strings. I just bake them, no added oil or anything (though I probably could sprinkle a little less salt over them I admit...) so I figured they were just cut potato which can't be that bad for me...

As for the motorbike it's actually cheaper then the bus.
The bus costs $3.50 each way, $7 a day basically, which is why I'm only going once a week. And that's just to the first main stop, the university is all the way across town. The motorbike is much cheaper then the bus if I had to take the bus every day, the bus is only cheaper now because I'm taking the bus once a week.
When I get a job it wont fly.

Independence is overrated.

[Image: oscar.png]
31-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Re: Ranting corner
Lol funny you said that cause thats exactly what I did.
31-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Friday. Ugh - working the extra few hours a day is ok for a week or so but how am I supposed to remember how to do a job I left behind 3 years ago? The brain cells that stored memory for that job, are the ones I was planning on destroying with slow chronic drug abuse. Why can't people get with my plan. Why is it always about them and their plan?

What the hell is that noise? What are these children doing out of school and more disturbingly, what the fuck are they doing on my porch?

Fuck. Hope it's a smooth work night, I just want it to be finished. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-05-2013, 02:16 PM
I can't help it that my famiy doesn't want me to bring anybody with me when I go. I can't help it nothing I say will change their minds! Yes having to meet them without certain people's knowledge is stupid, but I still want to see them!! It's a bad thing I want to see the young-uns? NO! NO NO NO! Why can't people just get the fuck along, or let shit go, gawd DAMN it! Angry

31-05-2013, 02:31 PM
My oldest had his last day of school today. Next week he graduates from high school.

It feels weird.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Oh moms...congrats!

Wait till the last one and you look around and go...what happened? Now what do I do with my time?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
31-05-2013, 02:45 PM
(31-05-2013 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The problem I have is that I'm pretty fussy when it comes to food.

Well, there's your problem Undecided.

(31-05-2013 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Annoying I know but it can't be helped. So I don't like squash (or any of that family like pumpkin), cabbage (or lettuce for that matter), onion, lentils (love beans but their expensive unless I buy frozen beans) and I sure as fuck don't like tofu. And I hate those sports drinks too, I'd rather drink water. I would stop buying the coke too (I don't buy energy drink all the time only when the one I like is on special) but it's really cheap, like $1.99 for a 1.5L so I don't mind. Plus, I don't drink so I figured I'm aloud one vice. It's okay though, the frozen vegetable section is pretty broad. Mixed veg and/or just corn is usually what I get because I love corn, peas and carrots. Though I can get beans and stir fry vegetables and all those other stuff. I do mix it up. Oh and for potato I'm just buying shoe strings. I just bake them, no added oil or anything (though I probably could sprinkle a little less salt over them I admit...) so I figured they were just cut potato which can't be that bad for me...
See, if you were a starving Czech peasant two hundred years ago, you'd just have to eat it anyway. Isn't modernity wonderful?

Also, tofu is incredibly versatile; surely you can find a way to make it palatable? But it's not like a daily (or so) multivitamin is expensive, so if you're maybe a little short on nutrients there's always that. As for drinks, then get some juice and water it way down. Coke (or any pop) is absolutely terrible for you. Don't drink it! Just do the water thing, if you really don't like anything else.

(31-05-2013 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  As for the motorbike it's actually cheaper then the bus.
The bus costs $3.50 each way, $7 a day basically, which is why I'm only going once a week. And that's just to the first main stop, the university is all the way across town. The motorbike is much cheaper then the bus if I had to take the bus every day, the bus is only cheaper now because I'm taking the bus once a week.
When I get a job it wont fly.

Depends how you figure it; the initial cost of even a cheap motorcycle is going to be in the hundreds (here, anyway; I can't imagine it'd be too different, though). Also you'd have to be an idiot to drive a motorcycle all through a northeastern Ontario winter. What do you have to pay for insurance? Here it's mandatory and would be thousands of dollars a year.

As a student, don't you get a transit pass? Or, at the very least, reduced fare?
31-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm still in London......mofos

[Image: giphy.gif]
31-05-2013, 04:41 PM
This is not a rant to start an abortion debate................

This is a vent about the fact that minors can go buy Plan B. They can't take the pill, antibiotics, etc without a prescription and a parent. But they can just go get Plan B when ever they want and parents/adults/whoever never has to know.

Pisses me off

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]