Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
31-05-2013, 06:40 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Doesn't piss me off*, but I think minors should be able to buy the pill without parents' knowledge, too. I got Norplant (5 year hormonal BC implant) as a minor without my parents' knowledge. I guess it depends on if there are clinics that will give out BC to minors in the area, or not.

*It doesn't piss me off because, if they are worried they might get pregnant, I think they should be able to take whatever action to avoid pregnancy. I consider that a separate issue than the fact that they need a parent to be around to get Rx antiobiotics when they have an infection or whatever.

It also doesn't piss me off because it is (apparently) non prescription, and minors can buy OTC pills (usually, but I've been carded for cough syrup even though it's been a long time since i've been a minor, but that's a different issue, too).

Minors can buy condoms without an Rx, too, and they are birth control. Plan B is just a more expensive birth control that is used when condoms (etc.) have failed or were not used. I think it's tremendously important that anyone of any age has access to things like Plan B, actually.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
31-05-2013, 07:28 PM
(31-05-2013 04:41 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  This is not a rant to start an abortion debate................

This is a vent about the fact that minors can go buy Plan B. They can't take the pill, antibiotics, etc without a prescription and a parent. But they can just go get Plan B when ever they want and parents/adults/whoever never has to know.

Pisses me off

In a perfect world I'd want my kids to be open enough with me to let me know that they would need these products (I was lucky enough to have an open communication with my mum, I never felt threatened or embarrassed to talk to her about things like birth control, she even took me to get my pills when I was a teenager)

But I realise that's not always the case. I would much rather my children be safe and me not know about it then them not being safe and hiding it from me. I'm fully for kids being able to get birth control without my knowledge.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
31-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Teens that want to have sex are going to have sex...not having access to BC isn't going to stop them like some adults seem to believe.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
31-05-2013, 08:28 PM
I know I'm not the worst bad knee in the world, but I have to accept "fondly" that I can't run nearly as hard and far as I used to. I have to deal with the fact that I can get sore in the right knee, come home with a slight limp, and bang the same cap's nerve endings right into that stupid knob under the steering wheel.
01-06-2013, 12:38 AM
(31-05-2013 02:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-05-2013 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The problem I have is that I'm pretty fussy when it comes to food.

Well, there's your problem Undecided.

(31-05-2013 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Annoying I know but it can't be helped. So I don't like squash (or any of that family like pumpkin), cabbage (or lettuce for that matter), onion, lentils (love beans but their expensive unless I buy frozen beans) and I sure as fuck don't like tofu. And I hate those sports drinks too, I'd rather drink water. I would stop buying the coke too (I don't buy energy drink all the time only when the one I like is on special) but it's really cheap, like $1.99 for a 1.5L so I don't mind. Plus, I don't drink so I figured I'm aloud one vice. It's okay though, the frozen vegetable section is pretty broad. Mixed veg and/or just corn is usually what I get because I love corn, peas and carrots. Though I can get beans and stir fry vegetables and all those other stuff. I do mix it up. Oh and for potato I'm just buying shoe strings. I just bake them, no added oil or anything (though I probably could sprinkle a little less salt over them I admit...) so I figured they were just cut potato which can't be that bad for me...
See, if you were a starving Czech peasant two hundred years ago, you'd just have to eat it anyway. Isn't modernity wonderful?

Also, tofu is incredibly versatile; surely you can find a way to make it palatable? But it's not like a daily (or so) multivitamin is expensive, so if you're maybe a little short on nutrients there's always that. As for drinks, then get some juice and water it way down. Coke (or any pop) is absolutely terrible for you. Don't drink it! Just do the water thing, if you really don't like anything else.

(31-05-2013 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  As for the motorbike it's actually cheaper then the bus.
The bus costs $3.50 each way, $7 a day basically, which is why I'm only going once a week. And that's just to the first main stop, the university is all the way across town. The motorbike is much cheaper then the bus if I had to take the bus every day, the bus is only cheaper now because I'm taking the bus once a week.
When I get a job it wont fly.

Depends how you figure it; the initial cost of even a cheap motorcycle is going to be in the hundreds (here, anyway; I can't imagine it'd be too different, though). Also you'd have to be an idiot to drive a motorcycle all through a northeastern Ontario winter. What do you have to pay for insurance? Here it's mandatory and would be thousands of dollars a year.

As a student, don't you get a transit pass? Or, at the very least, reduced fare?

Yes, but I'm not a starving peasant in the Czech 200 years ago thank god. Tongue
I'm living in a western country in a city with a good standard of living in the 21st century, so I'm aloud to be picky. Smile

It's not the taste of tofu, it's the texture. Well, the texture and the taste... Consider

The initial cost was $7,500 after trade-in. In that regards it's not cheap.
BUT I had $3k at the time so I borrowed $5. That $5k I am paying off, which will be paid off in... March? next year. And my parents give me money each week that covers the payment of that loan, so it's not even me paying for it. It's my parents way of saying sorry for sending my sister to private school and giving her a good education and such and leaving me to rot in public school, against my will, like some commoner. Which I'm fine with. I'll take very nice motorbike over fancy education any day of the week. Afterall, I got the same qualifications as my sister at high school and I'm the one getting a degree right now and not the one pregnant with a soon to be husband that works at McDonalds.... (nice guy though. He's a older version of Free Thought).
And as for insurance, yes I have insurance. I don't have to have it, but it's always best to have it. Even if it's atleast third party. And my parents pay for that too.

What the hell is a transit pass? Parking? It's free motorbike parking around the city (thank god because car parks are expensive...).
The only cost I bare for my motorbike is gas and registration, speeding tickets (if any) and insurance excess.
Ohhh, you mean a student pass for the bus? No. You can get swipe cards but then it's still more expensive then my motorbike.

And yea the weather is shit (like now) but it never get's snowed in or anything and if it's really bad I just don't ride anywhere. Plus, I'm use to riding in all weather.
01-06-2013, 12:56 AM
*sigh*

Sick of people.
01-06-2013, 01:09 AM
(01-06-2013 12:56 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  *sigh*

Sick of people.

People are, for the vast majority, cunts.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
01-06-2013, 01:11 AM
(31-05-2013 06:40 PM)amyb Wrote:  Doesn't piss me off*, but I think minors should be able to buy the pill without parents' knowledge, too. I got Norplant (5 year hormonal BC implant) as a minor without my parents' knowledge. I guess it depends on if there are clinics that will give out BC to minors in the area, or not.

*It doesn't piss me off because, if they are worried they might get pregnant, I think they should be able to take whatever action to avoid pregnancy. I consider that a separate issue than the fact that they need a parent to be around to get Rx antiobiotics when they have an infection or whatever.

It also doesn't piss me off because it is (apparently) non prescription, and minors can buy OTC pills (usually, but I've been carded for cough syrup even though it's been a long time since i've been a minor, but that's a different issue, too).

Minors can buy condoms without an Rx, too, and they are birth control. Plan B is just a more expensive birth control that is used when condoms (etc.) have failed or were not used. I think it's tremendously important that anyone of any age has access to things like Plan B, actually.

It's odd to me, I lived with my grandmother from when I was about 13. There is NO WAY she would have agreed to me going on the pill at 16, even if I needed it (I had fucked up periods). She felt the pill was wrong -- unhealthy or something. She also believed uncircumcised men were dirty. Sex was ONLY for making a baby and was never good. Oral sex just wasn't done...ever...it didn't exist in her world.

Thank goodness for planned parenthood, otherwise I might have entered totally unplanned parenthood way before I was ready. Also, I'm grateful to one of my english teacher who I actually could talk to who spoke not only candidly and honestly.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-06-2013, 01:13 AM
(01-06-2013 01:09 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 12:56 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  *sigh*

Sick of people.

People are, for the vast majority, cunts.

I'm listening to people on a facebook feed go on and on about how if you have foodstamps and you aren't a homeless filthy mess you're "obviously cheating the system" and if you cant get your groceries you must sell off everything your own rather than get help.

People are heartless.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
01-06-2013, 01:16 AM
(01-06-2013 01:13 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 01:09 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  People are, for the vast majority, cunts.

I'm listening to people on a facebook feed go on and on about how if you have foodstamps and you aren't a homeless filthy mess you're "obviously cheating the system" and if you cant get your groceries you must sell off everything your own rather than get help.

People are heartless.
People make me sad.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces