Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
30-06-2013, 07:22 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(30-06-2013 07:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 07:12 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  There is a product called a thunder shirt for dogs with anxiety problems. I know a few people who have them and claim they really do help their dog.

What is it supposed to do?

Quote:ThunderShirt uses gentle hugging to calm your dog or cat. With its patented design, ThunderShirt’s gentle, constant pressure has a dramatic calming effect for most dogs and cats if they are anxious, fearful or overexcited. ... How does ThunderShirt work? Experts believe that pressure has a calming effect on the nervous system, possibly by releasing a calming hormone like endorphins. Using pressure to relieve anxiety in people and animals has been a common practice for years. Below are several examples.

That's what I saw from a page selling "Thundershirts".

[Edit: Bows beat me to it.]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Our vet gave us a Thunder Shirt for lady...Dom it fits snugly on them and is supposed to feel like a hug, I am sure you can find it online. They wanted us to try it and review for them. If it weren't so sad, it would be funny.

As soon as the Thunder Shirt is on Lady she stands as still as a statue and cannot even be lured by treats...it petrifies her. Seems to be even more torment than the thunder itself. The only thing I have been able to use it for with any degree of success it to put it on her to clip her claws.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-06-2013, 07:37 AM
I like Cesar Milan, he seems to me in tune with dogs and their mental states. If you google thunder shirt it comes up with one of his videos about it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
30-06-2013, 07:51 AM
(29-06-2013 11:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 10:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  OK, you in the back row, yeah you! What the difference between a channel marker and a tuna tower?

Bonus question: Are you responsible for any damage done by your boat's wake?

A channel marker is a buoy that marks the path that can be navigated through a waterway...on the Outer Banks where docks are on the sound side you see channel markers in the inlets that lead out to the ocean.

The tuna tower is a torture device for people like me that are not only terrified of heights but are also suckers when their young son begs them to climb up into it with him. Course it's officially a very high seat perched well above the main deck and is used to spot sport fish in the distance.

Not so sure on the wake question...as noticed today on the lake...no one seems to care. And the boats my grandpa and uncle piloted were powerful enough that the other boat's wakes didn't really matter much.

....note the avatar...

The tuna tower is a torture device Laughat

You got the channel marker question right. Always remember "red right returning".

As for being responsible for your wake, yes you are. You just wouldn't believe how boat "captains" will blow by kayakers, paddle boarders and other boats at anchor with total disregard to safety. You hurt someone with your wake and you're liable for damage and injury.

The other marker that the twice-a-year-boater is oblivious to is the diver-down flags. That's the red flag with the white diagonal stripe or the international alpha flag that signals that there are people in the water. I wish I had a water cannon to shoot at these imbeciles when I have people in the water and a dipshit comes roaring by so close that I can read the registration numbers. What's a few dismembered bodies anyway?

True story:

My wife and I head out to the reef line on a calm, beautiful day. No other boats can be seen for a mile. We anchor, don our scuba gear and drop in.

Unbeknownst to us a fishing vessel has motored nearby sometime after we are underwater. As we are swimming along the reef at around 60 feet/20 meters and we see a gathering of fish acting strangely and discover several baited hooks. Immediately we realize what has happened and we begin to swim away.

Just then the boat above pulls up its anchor about ten feet from the bottom and I see it wiz by. My first thought is they realized they have anchored too close to our boat, which by the way is displaying the diver-down flag, and has decided to move. By the second and third time the anchor wizzes by I know they are trying to hit us!

We swim back to our boat and when we surface these three assholes are screaming at us that the next time they'll drop the fucking anchor on our heads! Picture, if you will, miles of open ocean, and these three brain-surgeons have anchored next to a dive boat.

The worst part was that we called the US Coast Guard and Sherriff's depatment and both advised us to move! It still makes my blood boil just thinking about it. Anytime we take swimmers and divers out one of the first questions we get is "are there sharks", to which we reply forget about the sharks, the most dangerous thing out there on the water are the other boaters.

True story, dragons need not apply.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-06-2013, 08:24 AM
(30-06-2013 07:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Our vet gave us a Thunder Shirt for lady...Dom it fits snugly on them and is supposed to feel like a hug, I am sure you can find it online. They wanted us to try it and review for them. If it weren't so sad, it would be funny.

As soon as the Thunder Shirt is on Lady she stands as still as a statue and cannot even be lured by treats...it petrifies her. Seems to be even more torment than the thunder itself. The only thing I have been able to use it for with any degree of success it to put it on her to clip her claws.

I was just curious, mine don't have anxiety issues. If anything, they have enthusiasm issues.

Reminds me of swaddling babies - some love it and some hate it. My mom said I screamed non-stop when swaddled and slept - well, like a baby - when just left to be. My brother was the opposite.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-06-2013, 08:57 AM
(30-06-2013 07:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Our vet gave us a Thunder Shirt for lady...Dom it fits snugly on them and is supposed to feel like a hug, I am sure you can find it online. They wanted us to try it and review for them. If it weren't so sad, it would be funny.

Keep your dog from being scared by thunder by scaring the crap out of them with something else!....*facepalm*

lol
30-06-2013, 09:11 AM
(29-06-2013 09:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Fucking 4th of July is coming...

The dog hates fireworks. So it's either take him into the basement with the iPod blaring and a pitcher of margarita or...

Go upstairs and let him shit on the bed (again) yea we've tried drugging him -- it doesn't really work.

The dog drinks margaritas? Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-06-2013, 09:18 AM
(30-06-2013 07:22 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Its snug and applies constant pressure and it somehow calms the anxiety. Maybe feels like the pack is piled on ? I'm not really sure. My Labrador is okay as long as he cant see the flash and can be near us. The few i know are some that work with rescues and seem to be quite knowledgeable about dogs in other regards (medical, diets, behavior, etc)

Let's chip in and get one for Full Circle. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
30-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Interesting, kinda like the blanket they have for autistic people.

I've said more that once I think my dog is on the spectrum. Wink

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-06-2013, 11:36 AM
(30-06-2013 09:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 09:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Fucking 4th of July is coming...

The dog hates fireworks. So it's either take him into the basement with the iPod blaring and a pitcher of margarita or...

Go upstairs and let him shit on the bed (again) yea we've tried drugging him -- it doesn't really work.

The dog drinks margaritas? Shocking

No the margarita are for me. He can't be left alone in there. There's rat poison hidden about. Not in areas that he can easily get to...but I'm not going to take a chance. Last year I found some on the sofa that fell, I guess through the duct work in the ceiling . It's hard to explain..

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces