Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
01-07-2013, 07:37 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(01-07-2013 07:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Today my Scientific Studies teacher showed us some images of some fascinating rock formations in Pamukkale, Turkey. These formations are cotton white Travertine pools, ridges and, most amazingly, there was an image of a supposedly natural pool in the form of a square; thing had naturally occurring walls, flat straight-standing up to the sky walls on two sides containing the water, forming a pool. There were many such pools, most of which, by the pictures were in terrace-like formations. My teacher, the apparent bastion of knowledge that he is, admitted that he had no idea how the walls and terraces formed. I took up the mantel to try and figure out how.

But of course, the Tourism industry got in the way: Every time I search up these pools and google the question of their formation, I find nothing but fucking Tourism sites... And a study based on isotopes... And now of the sites I have thus looked at have said nothing but "It's a natural formation, it's white due to calcium depositing and it's pretty.", with one exception being "The scientific explanation is the hot thermalplaces that lie under the mount provokethe calcium carbonate spill, that makesthe forms as solid as Travertino marble." spelling errors aside, nothing I find seems to explain the sheer wall formations themselves, which perplex my teach and myself...

Investigation is hard!! Censored

I'd wager that water, heated from the springs, can becomes supersaturated with soluble carbonate, and if it then begins to flow (especially outside) the calcium carbonate with precipitate out (and will fix to what it's flowing over, depending on the composition). Evaporation also leaves behind material.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Fucking earmuffs. Just saw this on my fb...

[Image: 7437_642985535728932_1117841570_n.jpg]

...I'm like, wtf is earmuffs doing here? Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm everywhere Cantor.
I'm on the cover of every book, in the reflection of every puddle, in the faces of the innocent children, I am the gold at the end of the rainbow and I am the reason the world keeps spinning.

I thought this was apparent already?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
3,300 facebook friends? Really?
Am I that old? Sad

01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes, yes you are.

[Image: 1012364_450948991670372_1487189956_n.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-07-2013, 01:40 AM
(01-07-2013 07:37 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 07:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Today my Scientific Studies teacher showed us some images of some fascinating rock formations in Pamukkale, Turkey. These formations are cotton white Travertine pools, ridges and, most amazingly, there was an image of a supposedly natural pool in the form of a square; thing had naturally occurring walls, flat straight-standing up to the sky walls on two sides containing the water, forming a pool. There were many such pools, most of which, by the pictures were in terrace-like formations. My teacher, the apparent bastion of knowledge that he is, admitted that he had no idea how the walls and terraces formed. I took up the mantel to try and figure out how.

But of course, the Tourism industry got in the way: Every time I search up these pools and google the question of their formation, I find nothing but fucking Tourism sites... And a study based on isotopes... And now of the sites I have thus looked at have said nothing but "It's a natural formation, it's white due to calcium depositing and it's pretty.", with one exception being "The scientific explanation is the hot thermalplaces that lie under the mount provokethe calcium carbonate spill, that makesthe forms as solid as Travertino marble." spelling errors aside, nothing I find seems to explain the sheer wall formations themselves, which perplex my teach and myself...

Investigation is hard!! Censored

I'd wager that water, heated from the springs, can becomes supersaturated with soluble carbonate, and if it then begins to flow (especially outside) the calcium carbonate with precipitate out (and will fix to what it's flowing over, depending on the composition). Evaporation also leaves behind material.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to continue looking for a definitive answer...

Not luck so far past MORE FUCKING TOURISM SITES!!!!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-07-2013, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 03:58 AM by Lienda Bella.)
My mother might be getting her last pay check at McStinkles at 9 something. She quit after being treated like she was a moron, and wants to grab one of her last pay checks inside the lobby. She says it's one of the worst places she ever worked in. She'd go do one task that she was literally told to do, and not two seconds later a different boss would bitch and whine at her for not doing another at the same time.

Some brainless A hole named Daimmie, or something, told her "calm down" and after she explained he told her "have a nice day," which sounds to me like it meant "whatever. #^ you." Yeah, that makes me mad, so I want to go. I'll be in the background and out of the way like Mum told me to be.
02-07-2013, 04:40 AM
I'm so fucking bored.
It's like I've been under house arrest for the last two fucking months...
And now I've finished this semester and another doesn't start for a couple weeks it's just gonna get worst.

bored bored bored bored bored.
I practically spent all of today literally rolling around on the floor I was so fucking bored.

Hollywood, why you no produce good movies lately!!
In saying that, I've probably seen all their good movies.

I didn't actually think it was humanly possible to get bored of playing videos games, watching movies/tv series and eatting pizza all day, yet here we are...
I miss the halls. When I stayed in the halls my room was facing a building across the way and I could see inside all the rooms. It was great, I could totally spy on people. Like there was this one dude that liked to knit... I called him George.
My neighbors here are all so boring. Not only cannot I not see into their houses, allowing spying actually possible, but they're never home because they all work during the day...

Fuck it, I'm going to sleep. Hopefully when I wake up it'll be next year.

02-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Airports are fun people-watching places..got onea' those nearby?

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2013, 05:11 AM
Couldn't sleep...

Yes, I can see the airport from my dinning room window. I have a very nice view.
Sadly I cannot see any people in the airport from my dinning room window...

I need a pair of binoculars, that would really enhance my spying capabilities.