Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
25-07-2013, 08:11 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(25-07-2013 07:56 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  The coldest I have ever felt is about -30 F in the Chicago area in 2007 with a windchill factor making it abut -50 F.

See, now that - that is cold. Pretty frosty air, but it's the wind (and you know they don't call Chicago the windy city for nothing) that kills ya.

The coldest day of the year here, this January past, was a -37 air / -45 wind chill (that's in Celsius this time, you metrological atavisms Tongue ) morning. That's not quite a record, but it's damn close.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 09:15 PM
(25-07-2013 08:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 07:56 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  The coldest I have ever felt is about -30 F in the Chicago area in 2007 with a windchill factor making it abut -50 F.

See, now that - that is cold. Pretty frosty air, but it's the wind (and you know they don't call Chicago the windy city for nothing) that kills ya.

The coldest day of the year here, this January past, was a -37 air / -45 wind chill (that's in Celsius this time, you metrological atavisms Tongue ) morning. That's not quite a record, but it's damn close.

You bet, especially since I was in boot camp. Cloth sweatpants and sweatshirt...no coat. The wind blew strait through the cloth. I might as well have been naked. The cloth didn't do a damn bit of good.

25-07-2013, 10:01 PM
(25-07-2013 09:15 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  You bet, especially since I was in boot camp. Cloth sweatpants and sweatshirt...no coat. The wind blew strait through the cloth. I might as well have been naked. The cloth didn't do a damn bit of good.

And you were outside in that... why?

'Cause that's not "toughen 'em up" weather, that's "severe frostbite in ninety seconds" weather. Any activity will only give you worse hypothermia, since you're going to force more circulation to your hemorrhaging-heat extremities...

A couple layers (you weren't going commando under, right? 'cause having your dick freeze shut is not fun) is still doing you a hell of a lot of good, even if it didn't feel like it. Because - though I admit I am only assuming here - you've still got all your fingers and toes. And you're not dead.
Big Grin

... this is my signature!
25-07-2013, 10:25 PM
You're assumptions are correct, I am not dead. Thumbsup

No, actually I wasn't in that weather with that little clothes intentionally. Basically in Navy boot camp, the first thing you do is go to a room with about 100 people of the same sex, get naked, then they give you skivvies, and the sweats (known as a smurf suit cause of the blue color) then you take all your shit you brought with you, take it out to a mail truck, then you are supposed to walk back inside. The dumbass RDC (Recruit Division Commander, formerly Company Commander) accidentally locked us outside. Since we didn't know it was an accident we waited outside at the door. I assumed this was a 'toughen 'em up' type deal too, especially since before we walked out we were told to hike up our pant legs "like your going to be running through puddles". Eventually someone got to wondering where the fuck we went cause they came looking for us, but Jesus, it was cold as fuck. By the time we were supposed to march in the shitty fucking cold we were issued raincoats with a liner, toboggans, aka beanie (called a watch cap), and scarves.

25-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Like many people I've done that thing where you're lying on your back in bed on your phone and you drop it on your head. It made me feel mildly stupid.

However, words can't describe how retarded I felt about five minutes ago when, whilst watching TV, I managed to throw my phone into my own fucking face.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 5 users Like Hughsie's post
25-07-2013, 11:03 PM
(25-07-2013 07:21 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 07:09 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  What have the royal family done to hurt you?
Nothing.
What have the royal family done to hurt the world as a whole?
Nothing.

So why do you have such illogical thoughts towards the Royal family?

Because most royalty are figureheads who serve no actual purpose. Drinking Beverage

If they bring in tourism and promote the UK (remember, we're talking about the UK royal family, not all royal families) as well as giving someone for whom the country can like as well as giving us a day off once a year then do they not do something?

Quote:while having absolutely no claim to fame outside being born in to the right archaic relic-from-an-age-gone-by of a 'family'.

So it's jealousy?
Being born into the right or wrong family is life...
Half the bloody famous singers today are there because their daddy or mommy was a famous singer... Same with actors...
Besides, is it their fault they were born into royalty? No, so why do you hold it against them?

Quote:That the media is soul-crushingly, mindlessly shallow and awful isn't their fault. They're so utterly harmless!

Having a figurehead for a head of state lets them take care of all the pomp and circumstance and ceremony, and lets the actual head of government spend their time, y'know, governing...

Besides, what's the alternative? Yet another goddamn politician? Rolleyes

This.

So again, why do you'll hold illogical ill-will towards the UK royal family?
And in particular Will and Kate and this new baby. (because Charles is a bit of a dick).

Quote:I really hope the new baby ends up being gay, just to throw a spanner in the works. Destruction is fun to watch.

It would have be fantastic is it was black.
Too late though... pity. Maybe the next one.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-07-2013, 11:28 PM
(25-07-2013 10:49 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Like many people I've done that thing where you're lying on your back in bed on your phone and you drop it on your head. It made me feel mildly stupid.

However, words can't describe how retarded I felt about five minutes ago when, whilst watching TV, I managed to throw my phone into my own fucking face.

I literally lol'd Big Grin Sorry dude.

26-07-2013, 09:34 AM

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
26-07-2013, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2013 11:12 AM by GirlyMan.)
(25-07-2013 04:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Be forewarned the summers are hot as hell the winters are cold as shit and the drivers are all insane (second only to boston) but hey feel free.

So I went to check out what Rev said and this area does indeed have the worst drivers in the country.

#10: San Fran - 54.6% greater than average accident frequency
#9: Miami - 58.4%
#8: Newark NJ - 59.4%
#7: Alexandria VA - 62.6%
#6: Philly - 64.1%
#5: Glendale CA - 77.5%
#4: Hialeah, FL - 77.6%
#3: Providence, RI - 80.9%
#2: Baltimore, MD - 87.9%
#1: Washington, D.C. - 112.1%

Yay us? Huh

Great Lakes, IL 1982, -32 F and yes I did get almost instant frostbite on my ears while running to my car to retrieve my ear muffs and cover. As the blood flowed back the pain was excruciating. Did Navy boot camp in San Diego. Great food, great weather, beautiful city, this Navy shit's all right. Then I went to Great Lakes for A school. Fuck this Navy shit. Weeping

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Why won't people do some research before getting a tattoo in a foreign language? I saw a tattoo of a woman which read "άθεος", while she explained it means "atheist" in Greek. Well, yeah, it does. But you 're a woman. And adjectives have genders in Greek. It's wrong and a Greek would laugh at it. I know I did. Wait, no, I didn't. I felt sorry for you.
I mean, is it so hard?

Bah, such trivial things should stop bothering me Dodgy

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-