Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
09-08-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(09-08-2013 01:32 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Shit on a shit sandwich!

My Central Air/Heating unit just blew it's compressor...

Of course they stopped making the compressor because in 2010 they made old school freon parts illegal to manufacture.

So now I either have to ebay an old compressor and pay $1200 to get installed or buy a whole new $3800 AC unit.

...and I'm dizzy tired and the website I'm working on just blew up.

What brand is your AC? If you had someone tell you that they couldn't get a compressor, you may want to call someone else. I work for an HVAC company, we replace compressors all the time. A 2010 unit usually doesn't need to be replaced. AC units should last at least 15 years if they are maintained regularly.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Hmm. Consider I wonder if it's only me who is aware that when about 5 gallons of water is absentmindedly added to a 24 gallon diesel fuel tank, it takes about an hour to drain it completely, refuel, and get back on the road?

I don't just collect interesting trivia, I live it. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-08-2013, 03:37 PM
(09-08-2013 03:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 01:32 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Shit on a shit sandwich!

My Central Air/Heating unit just blew it's compressor...

Of course they stopped making the compressor because in 2010 they made old school freon parts illegal to manufacture.

So now I either have to ebay an old compressor and pay $1200 to get installed or buy a whole new $3800 AC unit.

...and I'm dizzy tired and the website I'm working on just blew up.

What brand is your AC? If you had someone tell you that they couldn't get a compressor, you may want to call someone else. I work for an HVAC company, we replace compressors all the time. A 2010 unit usually doesn't need to be replaced. AC units should last at least 15 years if they are maintained regularly.

It's a 2003. Apparently they stopped making parts for olderschool freon units in 2010

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 03:39 PM
(09-08-2013 03:35 PM)kim Wrote:  Hmm. Consider I wonder if it's only me who is aware that when about 5 gallons of water is absentmindedly added to a 24 gallon diesel fuel tank, it takes about an hour to drain it completely, refuel, and get back on the road?

I don't just collect interesting trivia, I live it. Drinking Beverage

(silently wondering why in the hell 5 gallons of water were inadvertently added to 24 gallons of diesel)

Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
09-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Where are you? We use R-22 all the time.

Who made the AC unit? Trane, Carrier, Lennox?

A lot of units are switching to 410A but there is still a lot of R-22 units out there, we fix them frequently.

If you had it diagnosed by someone, get another opinion. They may be trying to sell you a new unit by using the Freon argument.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

09-08-2013, 03:44 PM
(09-08-2013 03:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Where are you? We use R-22 all the time.

Who made the AC unit? Trane, Carrier, Lennox?

A lot of units are switching to 410A but there is still a lot of R-22 units out there, we fix them frequently.

If you had it diagnosed by someone, get another opinion. They may be trying to sell you a new unit by using the Freon argument.

yeah it's R22... It's a brand called Rudd

Are all the compressors the same given they are the proper size (3 1/2 ton)?

Like would this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/COPELAND-ZR40K3-...2ec9982d9e

BTW if I did want to get a new one which should I go with Lenox or Goodman? or neither?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 03:47 PM
See if you can get your model and serial number and do a search on a Rudd site and get some specs. That way you don't waste money on one that won't work.

R-22 is still out there...it's pricey as hell, but it's available.

09-08-2013, 04:01 PM
(09-08-2013 02:43 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Getting diagnosed for somethings. Blah.

Hug hope it's nothing serious.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Ever get stuck in one of those moods where you don't know what you wanna do and can't settle to anything?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
09-08-2013, 04:27 PM
(09-08-2013 04:19 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Ever get stuck in one of those moods where you don't know what you wanna do and can't settle to anything?

Well, now you're referring to my past 30 years. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein