Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-09-2013, 04:33 AM
RE: Ranting corner
I'm hungover, I've had less than three hours sleep, and I have a nine hour shift to do.

I hate my life! Sad

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 04:52 AM
(07-09-2013 04:33 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm hungover, I've had less than three hours sleep, and I have a nine hour shift to do.

I hate my life! Sad

Well, we had fun keeping you up.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-09-2013, 05:34 AM
@ELK, it doesn't feel as refined as Shogun 2. Shogun 2 felt like it had a fair amount of time spent on it, all aspects of it were really well done (IMO). Rome 2 doesn't feel as refined, it feels sort of rushed.
It's still a Total War game though so naturally it's fucking awesome, but if I had no idea when these games were made I'd put this as made before Shogun 2, possibly even before Napoleon and Empire.

In saying that, after a few patches to tweak the AI, this is shaping up to be my favorite Total War yet. Of course, the time period helps. 200BC Europe > 1500's Japan.

Also, I started a Rome campaign, it is called Rome 2 Total War after all... Holy balls do Roman infantry own.. And I just got Cohorts, rushed the tech for them, which I haven't tested out yet but if my current infantry have 40 attack damage, and cohorts have 70... you can imagine the shit that's gonna die... Which is perfect timing for me as I'm just about to invade Carthage and I suspect that if I'm going to be up against chariots and elephants I'm gonna need some kick ass units.

Still haven't tested out phalanxes sorry.

Also, ramming shit (boats) is highly advisable. Also fire... I was facing a ship that had fire and it's troops slaughtered my troops, luckily I was able to ram the side of his trireme with my trireme and sunk him before he wiped out my troops on my other much smaller boat. I don't have fire or any decent ships though because I've rushed cohorts so I don't know what the better ships are like. I suspect my strategy of ramramram will change when I get siege ships and such.

[Image: oscar.png]
07-09-2013, 06:57 AM
(07-09-2013 05:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  @ELK, it doesn't feel as refined as Shogun 2. Shogun 2 felt like it had a fair amount of time spent on it, all aspects of it were really well done (IMO). Rome 2 doesn't feel as refined, it feels sort of rushed.
It's still a Total War game though so naturally it's fucking awesome, but if I had no idea when these games were made I'd put this as made before Shogun 2, possibly even before Napoleon and Empire.

In saying that, after a few patches to tweak the AI, this is shaping up to be my favorite Total War yet. Of course, the time period helps. 200BC Europe > 1500's Japan.

Also, I started a Rome campaign, it is called Rome 2 Total War after all... Holy balls do Roman infantry own.. And I just got Cohorts, rushed the tech for them, which I haven't tested out yet but if my current infantry have 40 attack damage, and cohorts have 70... you can imagine the shit that's gonna die... Which is perfect timing for me as I'm just about to invade Carthage and I suspect that if I'm going to be up against chariots and elephants I'm gonna need some kick ass units.

Still haven't tested out phalanxes sorry.

Also, ramming shit (boats) is highly advisable. Also fire... I was facing a ship that had fire and it's troops slaughtered my troops, luckily I was able to ram the side of his trireme with my trireme and sunk him before he wiped out my troops on my other much smaller boat. I don't have fire or any decent ships though because I've rushed cohorts so I don't know what the better ships are like. I suspect my strategy of ramramram will change when I get siege ships and such.

One last question dude. Does this game further up the aspects of politics? I mean, as romans, is the purpose to play as roman familes that fight for political power, or is it just one faction called SPQR? I really wanted this game to take a dive into the political aspects on the campaign map, not just for Rome, but for the Greek and maybe even the Celtic and German factions aswell. Did they do that, or is it lacking from this game?

(07-09-2013 05:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Which is perfect timing for me as I'm just about to invade Carthage and I suspect that if I'm going to be up against chariots and elephants I'm gonna need some kick ass units.

Are those cohorts dealt in the same fashion as soldiers that was before Marius' reform (Hastati, Princeps, Triarii), or is it troops from the post reform era? Oh well, you know you'll need plenty of spears to take down those elephants.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
07-09-2013, 11:14 AM
@Elk, the political aspect is there (for Rome anyway, Carthage also has it). When you pick a faction to place there's two menus (I guess you could call them menus). There's a category and than a faction (not actual names for them I'm sure but it'll do for explanation purposes). So like Rome is a category and than you pick a faction within that category, ie: House of Jania (what I picked). Each faction gives you a different bonus. Carthage is the same, it's a category and than you can pick a different house within that category. Others are different though. Like Britain Tribes is a category and Icei (not how it's spelt I'm guessing, but close enough) is the faction, which is the Rome 2 equivalent of the british tribe in Rome 1. A better example is Greek City States is a category and Epirus, Sparta and Athens?? (I think Athens is in a different category actually) are factions within that category.

For the purpose of picking a different House, you still end up with the same provinces. It doesn't matter what Roman House you pick, you'll always start with the same 4 cities. Where as if you pick Sparta you'll start with Sparta but if you pick Epirus you'll start with it's 2 cities.

Oh, and each 'category' has different bonuses as well. So a category has a bonus and than the faction within that category has a bonus.

Actually within the game, the politics (as Rome I'm talking about) is under the faction tab. It shows your house's power over the senate compared to the other houses. ie: I currently have 34% of the power and XXX/500 senators under my influence.
I have completely avoided this section of the game, so you don't really need to pay attention to it and I'm not even 100% sure on it's purpose. I suspect though that as you increase power over the senate you get bonues like you're allowed to field more armies and agents etc..
You get random events associated with family members that make you pick a decision. ie: Your daughter is sleeping around do you A B or C and depending on what you pick the senate and/or people will react differently and your power over the senate will increase or decrease as well as other bonus/negative effects on provinces.

I've only played the British tribe and Rome, so I'm not familiar with how the other factions work on this area.

The first units you get as Rome are Hastati. After a little research you can upgrade your barracks and recruit Princeps and Triarii. Than after a little more research you get Legionaries (not Cohorts sorry) and Veteran Legionaries. You can than upgrade your Princeps and Hastati to Legionaries and your Triarii to Veteran Legionaries. That's what I got like straight away, skipped Princeps and Triarii. Than after some more research and an upgraded barracks you can create Cohorts. Than after full investment in one of the military trees you can get the final version which is Legionary Cohorts???? (Don't quote me on that name).
There's nothing really stopping you from rushing to the best troops you can get. It just means you wont get better culture/wealth generating buildings. Heavy tech investment in military techs and a little in commerce techs is doing me wonders.

One little gripe I have is that the one of the Spanish factions has the exact same colour as me... so it looks like my empire is bigger than it actually is.

Anyway, I destroyed Carthage. Quite easily actually. Blockade a city with my awesome navy (as long it's not those crappy support javelin thrower ships but something about the size of the assault ships, than it doesn't matter what units they have on the ships because ramming is by far the most effective way to destroy a ship.). Than bring up my army to besiege the city.
Than either wait it out or attack. I didn't have to face any elephants from the Carthaginians. Actually, I've had to face 2 rebel armies (one in my recently conquered province and another when it took over a near by town so I snatched it up) and both armies had elephants. First time my skirmishers killed half of them and than my legionaries ran in to save my skirmishers from being trampled, my legionaries were able to easily kill the last of them but the elephant fell over when it died and squashed 20 of my men... >< The second time I just hit it with my skirmishers (same ones, same army actually) retreated a little and than hit them again. Dead.

I haven't faced any phalanxes yet but the Carthaginians had some hoplites but their spears were tiny little hand to hand things and they didn't stand a chance against my Legionaries.

The AI isn't very aggressive. I haven't even touched the north (into Germany and France) and they haven't even touched me. If they wanted to attack I'd be a little screwed because 2 of my armies are in Africa (one going east one going west) and another of my armies is sailing around Spain to go attack Britannia (there doesn't seem to be a modifier for distance to capital so..).
If Sparta wanted to attack I'd be truly fucked in the ass. All my good military buildings are in Italy.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-09-2013, 11:24 AM
(07-09-2013 11:14 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You can than upgrade your Princeps and Hastati to Legionaries and your Triarii to Veteran Legionaries.

Ah, that's good. One annoying thing from Rome 1 is that you've made this giant army of pre-reform troops, and then your cities start hitting Huge, and the reform kicks in. Now you're stuck with a bunch of soldiers that can't be retrained, and you need to build a whole new army to take the senate. But I'm happy they removed that issue.

But one more thing, stuff seems to go very fast when you're talking about your campaign, when does it start? 270 B.C or after that? I haven't really played Empire or Shogun 2, so does the turns pass 6 months each or less?

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
07-09-2013, 12:55 PM
276 BC I think.
I'm 55 turns in and it's around 250 BC so I'm guessing 6months yeah, I haven't actually paid much attention to this.
I'll double check next time.

And yea I hear you, hated having huge armies of less than ideal troops.

There is far less micro-managment too.
You click on a city and it'll bring up this province panel thing that shows all the cities in that province (ie: Italy province has Roma, Napoleous (spelling?) and two other cities.) , so you can upgrade buildings from all cities in that province at the same time. You get a much bigger overview.
The problem, and I can't make up my mind if this is a good thing or bad thing it can be both at times, is that public order is spread across all cities in a province. So if I build a temple and it gives me +3 public order, all 4 cities benefit from that building regardless if I actually own that city or not. It gives great incentive to actually conquer whole regions. You get a bonus to that province when you own all the cities in it too, like +5% tax rate or something.
The problems occur when like for example I own the city Iol (I know, I lol'ed too). It's the only city I own in the province. One faction owns another city to the south and another faction owns the other two. The faction to the south has 3 full stacks, 4,800 troops. My Legionaries are good, but they're not that good (trust me, I tried). A good strategy might be to cause unrest via agents and let rebels soften them up.
BUT I own a city in the same province and if public unrest reaches a point for him than it does for me too which is counter productive.
So because I like happy cities as so rebels don't spawn I have invested in public order buildings and converted culture (converts the whole province so he's Latin now which is at least something) so his city is as close to rebellion as mine... aka not very.

However it's fantastic for military buildings. Because units are recruited via armies (you recruit a general who then recruits units) you only need 1 of each type of building in a province and so it doesn't matter what city it comes from. ie: Roma in Italy for me only has my Legionary Barracks, while a smaller city has my Auxiliary Barracks and another has a workshop. So if my army is sitting in Roma it can recruit siege units and skirmishers as well as infantry units.

It's also great for bonus buildings. Like +20% industry income buildings in one city and than actual industry buildings in the rest.
This is how I have Carthage set up, as a maritime commerce specialized province because all 4 cities in the province are on the sea and have docks which can be upgraded to merchant docks which provide a lot of maritime wealth.

Holy shit I can type a lot when it's about something I like...

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-09-2013, 12:56 PM
@ELK @earmuffs

[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
07-09-2013, 01:02 PM