Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-09-2013, 09:47 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(12-09-2013 06:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, that was a fuckin' wasted day.

Took my car in for service early today, got brakes and belts. Got the car at noon and drove away.

A mile down the road I notice the rear view mirror looks odd; go back to dealer.
It turns out that the mirror is liquid crystal and it had developed a bubble. They said they would replace it gratis as they had been getting regular failures.

OK, fine.

Later, I popped out to do a couple of errands and the car suddenly loses power at 75 mph on a major highway in moderately heavy traffic. I pull it over just before an exit ramp.

Won't restart. Cranks, but won't fire.

Call dealer, dealer calls tow service, tow service calls me.

Wait on highway for over an hour for tow truck in ever-increasing traffic and threatening weather.

Finally get home at 7:15PM. Might get car back tomorrow.

Well, I don't know what you're complaining about. You have a car! Tongue

As for my day, I tore up the sole of my foot in karate. Now I won't be able to walk for a few days. Being without a car, this is somewhat problematic.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 10:11 PM
(12-09-2013 06:57 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 06:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, that was a fuckin' wasted day.

Took my car in for service early today, got brakes and belts. Got the car at noon and drove away.

A mile down the road I notice the rear view mirror looks odd; go back to dealer.
It turns out that the mirror is liquid crystal and it had developed a bubble. They said they would replace it gratis as they had been getting regular failures.

OK, fine.

Later, I popped out to do a couple of errands and the car suddenly loses power at 75 mph on a major highway in moderately heavy traffic. I pull it over just before an exit ramp.

Won't restart. Cranks, but won't fire.

Call dealer, dealer calls tow service, tow service calls me.

Wait on highway for over an hour for tow truck in ever-increasing traffic and threatening weather.

Finally get home at 7:15PM. Might get car back tomorrow.

Let me guess...

It's a Merc?

Nope.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2013, 02:34 AM
(12-09-2013 10:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 06:57 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Let me guess...

It's a Merc?

Nope.

I remember Chas saying something about owning a BMW but that was a while ago.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-09-2013, 10:26 AM
(13-09-2013 02:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 10:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope.

I remember Chas saying something about owning a BMW but that was a while ago.

Yeah that was my second guess, by his description I knew he was at a dealership for service and that it was a luxury car, most likely German... Went with Merc cause it broke down after all.

13-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Bullshit; my Mercedes never broke down and it turned over at least 3 times (1969 - S 230).

My BMW on the other hand, was a piece of junk. I now refer to them as the British Ford.

I currently drive a Focus SVT; nearly a complete piece of crap... although, it does have it's moments of brilliance, now and then. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-09-2013, 11:48 AM
(13-09-2013 11:23 AM)kim Wrote:  Bullshit; my Mercedes never broke down and it turned over at least 3 times (1969 - S 230).

My BMW on the other hand, was a piece of junk. I now refer to them as the British Ford.

I currently drive a Focus SVT; nearly a complete piece of crap... although, it does have it's moments of brilliance, now and then. Drinking Beverage

Yeah thats a 1969... They ranked horribly in the Top Gear owners surveys in the 90's - 2000's after the Chrysler acquisition.

13-09-2013, 12:27 PM
(13-09-2013 11:48 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(13-09-2013 11:23 AM)kim Wrote:  Bullshit; my Mercedes never broke down and it turned over at least 3 times (1969 - S 230).

Yeah thats a 1969... They ranked horribly in the Top Gear owners surveys in the 90's - 2000's after the Chrysler acquisition.

I know what you mean - I doubt I'd own most newer vehicles.

Designers & manufacturers need to settle down and put their shit in order; they've effortlessly let technology paint them into a corner. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Wouldn't have that problem with a motorbike.
I'm just sayin'.

[Image: oscar.png]
13-09-2013, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2013 12:37 PM by ridethespiral.)
(13-09-2013 12:27 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-09-2013 11:48 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Yeah thats a 1969... They ranked horribly in the Top Gear owners surveys in the 90's - 2000's after the Chrysler acquisition.

I know what you mean - I doubt I'd own most newer vehicles.

Designers & manufacturers need to settle down and put their shit in order; they've effortlessly let technology paint them into a corner. Dodgy

Yeah the German car companies are very NASA about the whole thing...Motorized, electronic, automated, redundant everything....all tied into a proprietary central computer system that requires you to go to the dealership for stuff as mundane as an oil change.

I've been driving Japanese for the past 10 years, great quality without all the unnecessaries.

Unfortunately there is nothing American that peaks my interest...(small/mid-sized 4 door, high handling/AWD, Turbo 4cyl/6cyl)...Anything cool from the states has a giant v8 with awful front weight and rear wheel drive = good for highway acceleration 5mph-100mph and not much else.

(13-09-2013 12:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wouldn't have that problem with a motorbike.
I'm just sayin'.

Beamer makes amazing bikes if you have 17K to drop on a bike.

13-09-2013, 12:50 PM
(13-09-2013 12:34 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(13-09-2013 12:27 PM)kim Wrote:  I know what you mean - I doubt I'd own most newer vehicles.

Yeah the German car companies are very NASA about the whole thing...Motorized, electronic, automated, redundant everything....all tied into a proprietary central computer system that requires you to go to the dealership for stuff as mundane as an oil change.

I've been driving Japanese for the past 10 years, great quality without all the unnecessaries.

Unfortunately there is nothing American that peaks my interest...(small/mid-sized 4 door, high handling/AWD, Turbo 4cyl/6cyl)...Anything cool from the states has a giant v8 with awful front weight and rear wheel drive = good for highway acceleration 5mph-100mph and not much else.

(13-09-2013 12:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wouldn't have that problem with a motorbike.
I'm just sayin'.

Beamer makes amazing bikes if you have 17K to drop on a bike.

I know, the BMW s1000rr is one sexy machine.

[Image: oscar.png]