Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
08-10-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(08-10-2013 01:55 PM)kim Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Course I did get hit by a doctor driving a Mercedes. Consider

Mmm... Consider I'm willing to bet free office visits and free medical consultation is a lot less expensive for a doctor than a law suit. Wink

Dang, Anj - time to take some time out and just rest. That foot bone is not going to knit without some serious down time... and now, with the bruises on top of everything; UGH!

PLENTY of rest - no matter what - and eat well.
I'd mention drugs but... I don't want to shock the children. Dodgy

Thanks Kim. I need a NERF suit I think...having a rough couple weeks. My doctor was pretty generous with the other thing...shhhh...don't tell the children.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:Tipping is BS of the highest order. It's a way for the Applebee's of the world to avoid paying their servers a living wage and put the cost on the customer...Waitress wages have been frozen at like 3.50 an hour since the 50's.? 60's?
The system is messed up, yes. But that doesn't mean I'm going to fuck over my server so they can't pay their bills or feed their kids. I believe the hourly wage here (PA) is $2.83. Also, there aren't a lot of jobs where I live, so that's the only job some people can get. (Thankfully I work from home and am not subject to the employment shithole that is this town.)

I imagine if some places started paying their employees a decent wage, people would stop eating there because then they'd feel the need to raise the prices so their CEOs could continue to get rich. I don't see an easy way out of the situation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2013, 03:40 AM
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/t...jBpS8yfFpg

i'm mad at this! Seriously? They get paid to be religious guides? Fuck it! Prayer =/= real medicinal care. And the problem arises. When do you get "spiritual treatment"? When there is no treatment discovered for the disease? When the treatment isnt available? I can easily imagine "you cant get chemo here,so lets pray "
and is it something you can opt out of? I fuckin hate this shit thing!

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
09-10-2013, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 03:48 AM by earmuffs.)
I have a title for my book.
A title and the authors name. I'm on a roll.
It's practically ready for print.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
09-10-2013, 05:20 AM
(09-10-2013 03:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I have a title for my book.
A title and the authors name. I'm on a roll.
It's practically ready for print.

Hope there's lots of dragon.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
09-10-2013, 06:32 AM
If I write what I plan on writing there wont be actually... Consider
A simple oversight that can be easily addressed I suspect.

Good to nut out this stuff out before I get to far along I think. Good think Anjele.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
09-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Woke up with the entire right side of my face swollen from a tooth abscess like I just got Mike Tysoned. Dentist asked me if ManlyGirl beat the shit outta me. I said, "Not sure, it's possible I might've slept through it." Now I gotta get a retrofill root canal (comes in through the gum instead of through the tooth 'cause I got a bridge on the infected tooth). Fuck. I like Dentists, they are very compassionate and careful to minimize my pain, but I fucking hate dental work. I'm first gonna see if the course of penicillin works before committing to it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-10-2013, 12:05 PM
(08-10-2013 02:41 PM)amyb Wrote:  The system is messed up, yes. But that doesn't mean I'm going to fuck over my server so they can't pay their bills or feed their kids. I believe the hourly wage here (PA) is $2.83. Also, there aren't a lot of jobs where I live, so that's the only job some people can get. (Thankfully I work from home and am not subject to the employment shithole that is this town.)

I imagine if some places started paying their employees a decent wage, people would stop eating there because then they'd feel the need to raise the prices so their CEOs could continue to get rich. I don't see an easy way out of the situation.

Where I live, servers are paid well, so without tips they still make a liveable wage. It's America where the problem is, because they depend on tips to survive.

The solution is actually just to pay the servers a higher wage. The price of food has little to do with the wage of servers at any restaurant with decent business volume. For a restaurant like Montana's that has a high volume such that they often have people waiting for a seat to free up, enough money comes in in an hour to cover the day's wages for every employee, and then some.

Whether they pay employees $10 or $16 makes a small difference in the cost of operations, and it wouldn't require an increase in food costs to remain profitable. Even if the business decides to cover the difference, the change shouldn't be too drastic.

I just dislike commission and tips. Partly because some aspects are beyond the employee's control ("pretty" people get tipped more, and you can't choose not to serve an asshole customer), partly because you may feel guilty about not giving enough, and partly because people like knowing that they can pay rent every month. The guessing game of whether or not you'll break even isn't a fun game to play.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
09-10-2013, 12:14 PM
(09-10-2013 12:05 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 02:41 PM)amyb Wrote:  The system is messed up, yes. But that doesn't mean I'm going to fuck over my server so they can't pay their bills or feed their kids. I believe the hourly wage here (PA) is $2.83. Also, there aren't a lot of jobs where I live, so that's the only job some people can get. (Thankfully I work from home and am not subject to the employment shithole that is this town.)

Where I live, servers are paid well, so without tips they still make a liveable wage. It's America where the problem is, because they depend on tips to survive.

The solution is actually just to pay the servers a higher wage. The price of food has little to do with the wage of servers at any restaurant with decent business volume. For a restaurant like Montana's that has a high volume such that they often have people waiting for a seat to free up, enough money comes in in an hour to cover the day's wages for every employee, and then some.

Whether they pay employees $10 or $16 makes a small difference in the cost of operations, and it wouldn't require an increase in food costs to remain profitable. Even if the business decides to cover the difference, the change shouldn't be too drastic.

I just dislike commission and tips. Partly because some aspects are beyond the employee's control ("pretty" people get tipped more, and you can't choose not to serve an asshole customer), partly because you may feel guilty about not giving enough, and partly because people like knowing that they can pay rent every month. The guessing game of whether or not you'll break even isn't a fun game to play.

I think you may be underestimating the proportion of wages/benefits in the cost of operating a restaurant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2013, 12:14 PM
(09-10-2013 10:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Woke up with the entire right side of my face swollen from a tooth abscess like I just got Mike Tysoned. Dentist asked me if ManlyGirl beat the shit outta me. I said, "Not sure, it's possible I might've slept through it." Now I gotta get a retrofill root canal (comes in through the gum instead of through the tooth 'cause I got a bridge on the infected tooth). Fuck. I like Dentists, they are very compassionate and careful to minimize my pain, but I fucking hate dental work. I'm first gonna see if the course of penicillin works before committing to it.

UGH! Sorry to hear that Girly. Hopefully the antibiotic will take care of it quickly.

Made it half a day at work today...I now have muscles aching that I either didn't know I had or that I forgot I had. BLAH!

How about we go with the new forum policy...Girly you blame KC for your dental issues and I will blame him for the car accident.

I feel better already! Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post