Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
14-10-2013, 06:26 AM
RE: Ranting corner
America's religious "extremists" have been moving further north since the 90's. We got plenty left, don't get me wrong but many have crossed the border. I know that isn't a description of your niece, but those religious folks may be making an impact. I dunno, maybe a Canadian could comment with their opinion?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2013, 07:05 AM
(14-10-2013 03:44 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  @muffs
ever considered the problem might be you and not the ladies?

Don't be silly.
14-10-2013, 08:48 AM
(13-10-2013 04:44 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  So, anyone know how to clean a bamboo sushi-rolling mat? I've made nori rolls on it a few times, but I have no idea how to clean it.

Wood + string + rice = permanently dirty mat

Seriously, hasn't anyone who cooks sushi heard of plastic, silicone, or rubber? A flexible mat made from one of those would be appropriate for rolling, cutting, and cleaning.

Chefs also seem to recommend wood spoons when working with rice, but there's no way I'm falling for that again.

edit: page 700!

I don't use any mat for that. I just roll it in the nori (on a cutting board that is easy to clean) and it works fine for me.
14-10-2013, 10:17 AM
(14-10-2013 08:48 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 04:44 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  So, anyone know how to clean a bamboo sushi-rolling mat? I've made nori rolls on it a few times, but I have no idea how to clean it.

Wood + string + rice = permanently dirty mat

Seriously, hasn't anyone who cooks sushi heard of plastic, silicone, or rubber? A flexible mat made from one of those would be appropriate for rolling, cutting, and cleaning.

Chefs also seem to recommend wood spoons when working with rice, but there's no way I'm falling for that again.

edit: page 700!

I don't use any mat for that. I just roll it in the nori (on a cutting board that is easy to clean) and it works fine for me.

You don't roll directly on the mat. You should use a piece of plastic film. As to cleaning it use a brush and soapy water.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Revenant77x Wrote:You don't roll directly on the mat. You should use a piece of plastic film.

Unfortunately, chefs and recipe guides don't say that. They just say "use a rolling mat".

I think, if you're rolling on a plastic film on a bamboo mat, you might as well just save a step and have a plastic mat.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
14-10-2013, 11:51 AM
(14-10-2013 11:41 AM)Elesjei Wrote:  
Revenant77x Wrote:You don't roll directly on the mat. You should use a piece of plastic film.

Unfortunately, chefs and recipe guides don't say that. They just say "use a rolling mat".

I think, if you're rolling on a plastic film on a bamboo mat, you might as well just save a step and have a plastic mat.

A solid plastic mat would not flex in the same way the bamboo mat does. I don't know about recipe books but every time I have ever seen anyone making sushi (on tv or in person) they wrap the bamboo in plastic wrap.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-10-2013, 12:24 PM
I've never watched chefs or read recipe books for it. I just got recipes from the internet, and they always seem to leave out that detail.

I've seen some nice silicone mats though. They have these stiff ridges (plastic or something), and flex just like a bamboo mat. Seems like a good idea. I just dislike using wood.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
14-10-2013, 12:29 PM
(14-10-2013 12:24 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I've never watched chefs or read recipe books for it. I just got recipes from the internet, and they always seem to leave out that detail.

I've seen some nice silicone mats though. They have these stiff ridges (plastic or something), and flex just like a bamboo mat. Seems like a good idea. I just dislike using wood.

I prefer wood for everything except cutting boards. For utensils they don't scratch non-stick pans (like metal) and they don't melt (like plastic) they are dishwasher safe or (if you live in the dark ages) easily clean with just soap and water. Now cutting boards I prefer plastic since wood tends to carry bacteria easier.

14-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Today I stubbed my toe (the one next to the pinkie toe) on the corner of a door (a cement wall) and it hurts so much to walk. My entire toe is turning a light purple color at the moment. I fear what it will look and feel like tomorrow. No
14-10-2013, 09:59 PM
(14-10-2013 04:24 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Today I stubbed my toe (the one next to the pinkie toe) on the corner of a door (a cement wall) and it hurts so much to walk. My entire toe is turning a light purple color at the moment. I fear what it will look and feel like tomorrow. No

Sounds broken. Undecided Not much they can do with a toe, though - not that one anyway. If you went in, a doctor would probably just tape it to the one next to it and give you some ibuprofen for pain & swelling - which you should probably take, by the way.

On the bright side; ff it is really broke, be prepared for a beautiful blue color tomorrow. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein