Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-10-2013, 10:38 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(21-10-2013 04:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  So a few posts ago I mentioned my rapidly-becoming-former friend who asked me to help debug his already plagiarized code Dodgy He sent me an email today with links to two youtube videos about how atheists are stupid...

I find it pretty fucken ironic that he's pinching someone else's code without a care in the world and at the same time trying to tell me how to be a moral person.

Plagiarized code? What class is this?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Re: Ranting corner
Being voluntold I'm taking a client to the coast. Oh well. Could be worse.
Find all posts by this user
21-10-2013, 10:52 AM
(21-10-2013 02:15 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well I have no idea what a hot pocket is but replace it for honey chicken noodles and yeah that'll be acceptable.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-10-2013, 02:39 PM
(21-10-2013 10:38 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Plagiarized code? What class is this?

Uni course - it's a stupid minor project anyway - about 500 lines of code. Thing is, I know how he writes code and the code he asked me to go over wasn't his - unless in the last two weeks he's suddenly upgraded from mediocre to hot-shot. But yeah, I'm not gonna make an accusation - pretty sure that if as I suspect he grabbed someone's project from last year, then his monumental stupidity in doing so will become apparent when they run their plagiarism check against last year's solutions.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-10-2013, 02:45 PM
I went to target and blew my budget for the whole month.

That would be next month.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-10-2013, 03:26 PM
An impulse buyer?

21-10-2013, 03:44 PM
(21-10-2013 03:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  An impulse buyer?

Me?

No, I went with a detailed list of everything we needed and stuck to it. There was nothing extra. Sigh.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-10-2013, 03:47 PM
(21-10-2013 02:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 10:38 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Plagiarized code? What class is this?

Uni course - it's a stupid minor project anyway - about 500 lines of code. Thing is, I know how he writes code and the code he asked me to go over wasn't his - unless in the last two weeks he's suddenly upgraded from mediocre to hot-shot. But yeah, I'm not gonna make an accusation - pretty sure that if as I suspect he grabbed someone's project from last year, then his monumental stupidity in doing so will become apparent when they run their plagiarism check against last year's solutions.

Just curious what kind of program.. Black Jack in Java, a web app, C based event calendar? ...Something big enough to be obviously ripped off but generic enough to be on Github somewhere I guess.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2013, 04:18 PM
(21-10-2013 03:47 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Just curious what kind of program.. Black Jack in Java, a web app, C based event calendar? ...Something big enough to be obviously ripped off but generic enough to be on Github somewhere I guess.

Java lexer, coded from scratch.

It only had to recognize a subset of the language...

I dunno if 500 lines is accurate, you could do it in less if you used regexp. Mine was that long 'cos I wanted to do it with pushdown automata and stuff...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-10-2013, 04:24 PM
(21-10-2013 03:47 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 02:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Uni course - it's a stupid minor project anyway - about 500 lines of code. Thing is, I know how he writes code and the code he asked me to go over wasn't his - unless in the last two weeks he's suddenly upgraded from mediocre to hot-shot. But yeah, I'm not gonna make an accusation - pretty sure that if as I suspect he grabbed someone's project from last year, then his monumental stupidity in doing so will become apparent when they run their plagiarism check against last year's solutions.

Just curious what kind of program.. Black Jack in Java, a web app, C based event calendar? ...Something big enough to be obviously ripped off but generic enough to be on Github somewhere I guess.

You youngsters and your programming woes. Back in the day Girly had to write his program on punchcards and then deliver them to the IBM 360 lady for job submission ... in 3 feet of snow ... with no shoes. Nowadays Girly programs by cut-and-paste from stackoverflow like all the cool kids do. It ain't plagiarism if nobody's claiming copyright. SOFTWARE SHOULD BE FREE! So saith Che Stroustrup. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post