Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
30-07-2012, 08:39 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(30-07-2012 05:18 PM)kim Wrote:  Ha - it's not bad at all and sure can't hold a candle to the Flowbee! Thumbsup
It just might be a bit on the serious side. Oh well...
It's the opening scene from the new HBO series The Newsroom

I have seen the adverts for this program on Sky (paid tv), but we don't get SoHo so I can't watch it, or Game of Thrones for that matter ;(.
I hadn't seen the whole thing before, it's brilliant.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I used to hate commercials...

Now I'm like, MOAR! Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Hmm... Boss Nuit. I'll have to see what that's like. I'm looking for something new for the next year. Sleepy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't like it when people pick on my Gwynnies. Angry

Girl got burnt on her public relationship with Brad, so now she keeps it to the script; and peeps say, "she's always on about her diet, exercise, lifestyle advice..." What she's on about, is impersonal shit that won't cause her anxiety. Then they say she's "self-absorbed, elitist, condescending..." Well, yeah, she's elite; but self-confident...

Which of course doesn't have nothing to do with anything. Angel

31-07-2012, 02:38 PM
long rant coming

Right now we are constantly onboarding at work. That means that every other weeks we get newbies.
So good so far.
The company used to have a certain standard so not everyone would get hired but by now this has actually changed.
We get such dumbasses, it is unbelievable.
All of our work is on the computer, we have certain tools that we use, and we use the internet, the google search, a lot.
We also have to write or copy thing a lot.
So some things will make life a lot easier. copy and paste, ctrl +click, ctrl + a, whatever, all the shortcuts there are. if you wanna work efficient in that you use these things.
If you apply for a job like this you are supposed to know these things!
But no, not even these basics. I have to teach my newbies this!
Not enough, they will not rtfm! they ask and ask and ask instead of looking into the policy where EVERYTHING is explained, with step by step guides, with all edgecases explained, and so on. Not let's go and ask the mentor instead of THINKING!

So I got this new newbie who is so far behind everyone that i wonder how she got the job. She is demanding! So she pulls herself an issue to work on and needs help. Fine I come, she tells me what she would like to do with it, I tell her that there is a second way as well but she has to decide which one. She solves it but leaves a completely stupid statement, for the quality control. The quality control sends it back to her with a bad rating and tells her to fix it different. She comes to me and complains and starts an actual fight with me about it!
Now I do not fight, especially not at work, especially not with people I do not care about. So I stay calm, I tell her, "I understand that you are angry about this sendback but you need to listen to me now" so she listens. I explain to her what mistake she made and how to do it better next time, she does not take the critic in but blames me. I tell her that it is her issue "yes but YOU are MY mentor" I ignore the demand and tell her, "yes i am your mentor but not your boss, you decide how to fix your issues, I only tell you ways to do it, I will not fix it for you" she hates that i say this. "yes but you are my mentor and I am supposed to learn from you and to trust your judgement" no idea what that has to do with her issue anymore but fine. I tell her, she can trust my judgement and that i will help but i am not fixing her issues for her and nor will the other mentor of the team.
then she complains that she got so many sendbacks so I explain that these are for learning and not for anything else and she doesn't need to worry about it because she is still in training phase.
By that time she already closed down.
I told her to simply fix it as the quality person told her to and leave it like that "i am going to dispute this!" i tell her that she will lose the dispute because she is not right, "yes but I have to say something about this!" I tell her if she wants to say something because she does not aggree just to write a comment, and that the dispute process is for actually mistakes done by the quality person. She did not like that either.
So then she stared at the screen and didn't respond anymore.
The second I was back at my desk she got the other mentor to come, and of course he told her the same thing, but at the time she had done her pissed of way so it was a calmer talk with him.
I ended up talking to the teamlead about this behaviour, as she was almost shouting at me and demanding all the time. The teamlead told me I was right and did nothing wrong and that we will need to talk about this with the other mentor together and see what we do. So we talked a bit later and her behaviour is being observed now. She also had a talk with her directly, not sure what exactly but I hope it's getting better. I am not the kind of person that tries to get people gone, I don't actually care as long as they stay professional. But this was not professional, and at my workspace I don't need fights.
Btw apart from this the whole house, not only my team, everyone in that whole house is great. I love the people and the athmosphere at my work place, I am telling you, and I do not want it to be poisoned by something like that.

Rant over, thanks for ignoring.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
31-07-2012, 02:38 PM
hoc, I don't like your new avatar picture! Bring the old one back, I am not good on changes!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
31-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, ma'am. Angel

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-07-2012, 03:09 PM
(31-07-2012 02:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't like it when people pick on my Gwynnies. Angry

Girl got burnt on her public relationship with Brad, so now she keeps it to the script; and peeps say, "she's always on about her diet, exercise, lifestyle advice..." What she's on about, is impersonal shit that won't cause her anxiety. Then they say she's "self-absorbed, elitist, condescending..." Well, yeah, she's elite; but self-confident...

Which of course doesn't have nothing to do with anything. Angel

Who's Brad? I'm not very in-the-know. Shy
Why should anyone be concerned with her conduct? It's not their life to live, it's hers - she can be however she feels a need to be. Shit, I hate it when people think it's ok to be psychologically controlling of others! Confused A-holes.

Damn. It's 4pm and I haven't done shit all day. Sadcryface I'm wasting my vacation - but I'm not even sure I care all that much. I'm kind of just content not to have to do anything.

Oh screw it. Movie time! Cause movies is the most I can do and still be lazy as hell. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
31-07-2012, 03:13 PM
*Brad Pitt. You mighta heard of him... Angel

31-07-2012, 03:21 PM
(31-07-2012 03:13 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  *Brad Pitt. You mighta heard of him... Angel

Confused What?
I thought he was married to that Angelina Jolie person. Shit, am I that out of the loop?
Wait... did they have some kind of fling? Well, who's business is that, but their alone? People can be such meddling a-holes. Dodgy