Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(02-08-2012 12:01 AM)Filox Wrote:  FSM, what AV are you using? You do know that there are some high quality free antivirus applications?

Flash player has been buggy for a few months, specially in Firefox, try using Chrome or Opera instead.

norton 360. One of the older versions came free with the laptop so just stuck with it, plus the upgrade to 360 was cheap so just went for it. It's worked well so far. It's the first computer we've owned that hasn't had a virus (it's not shared which is why IMO).

Got any AV recommendations?

Flash is doing my head in, I like Firefox but this shit is getting ridiculous.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM
(02-08-2012 10:20 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 12:01 AM)Filox Wrote:  FSM, what AV are you using? You do know that there are some high quality free antivirus applications?

Flash player has been buggy for a few months, specially in Firefox, try using Chrome or Opera instead.

norton 360. One of the older versions came free with the laptop so just stuck with it, plus the upgrade to 360 was cheap so just went for it. It's worked well so far. It's the first computer we've owned that hasn't had a virus (it's not shared which is why IMO).

Got any AV recommendations?

Flash is doing my head in, I like Firefox but this shit is getting ridiculous.

We used to use AVG which was free and worked very well. We have McAfee now through our internet provider. I'm not a big fan, seems to make things clunky. I was thinking swithcing to Norton when we get a new computer.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
02-08-2012, 10:45 PM
McAfee? That shit is the shit. And not in a "This is the shiiiet" kind of way, but bad shit kind of way.

AVG is pretty OK, Comodo is the best at this moment, more details in Technology by Filox, just wrote a reply to ears yesterday, you can see the details there, they apply to all those in search of protection.

I use AVG still.

Also, NEVER use old version of antivirus. Old = none. If you do not have the latest with all the updates, you might as well uninstall it completely.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
03-08-2012, 07:20 AM
(02-08-2012 10:45 PM)Filox Wrote:  McAfee? That shit is the shit. And not in a "This is the shiiiet" kind of way, but bad shit kind of way.

AVG is pretty OK, Comodo is the best at this moment, more details in Technology by Filox, just wrote a reply to ears yesterday, you can see the details there, they apply to all those in search of protection.

I use AVG still.

Also, NEVER use old version of antivirus. Old = none. If you do not have the latest with all the updates, you might as well uninstall it completely.

Thanks Filox!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm bored.

And I don't mean that in sense of "then go read a book" (which in itself is a laughable statement as the implication is to go read a fiction book and I do not understand people that waste time reading fiction books, but each their own), I mean that in the sense of for the last 6years I have been bored out of my mind.

[life story] See I never use to be the person I am today. I mean I've always been 'different', you would not class me as a normal child at all. You'd catch me reading a newspaper before you'd catch me watching sport. But back then, before I was like 16, I would actually talk to people, I'd join in in class group shit and I'd actually hang out with my friends. Plus I was actually nice and respectful to people, believe it or not.
I think I was distracted. When you're mind is infected with social gossip you tend to lose grip on shit that actually matters. So when I grew out of that shit what was left to actually fill up my mind? School, education, learning. But because the schooling system was created by idiots for idiots as someone who was top of their class I was constantly given mundane easy work that I would finish easily. Now this same work was challenging for some and so if I finished early I'd have to wait for the rest of the class to catch up. So if I learned trigonometry in an afternoon, I'd have to sit through one or two weeks of classes that the teacher had prepared, bored out of my mind. It was like this the whole way through high school. They'd teach something, I'd learn it, I'd spend 90% of the time waiting for everyone else to catch up.
High school is such a waste of time in this regard. You add the time it takes for the teacher to deal with unruly little shits, retards that need to ask the same question just answered because they don't get it after a billion times, lunch and recess, waiting for the bus, attendance, that 10minutes at the start and that 10minutes at the end of the lesson when nothing ever happens, and all you end up with is one HUGE fucking waste of my time.
Yet it's compulsory by law, and universities judge based off if you pass or not (or grades if you wanna be a doctor or something).
If, god forbid, I ever have children they are so getting home schooled. Teach them a whole year in a week or two, done, dusted.
And then we wonder why young people have no work ethic? it's because the school system is designed so that they can just slouch about and take their time and everyone will wait for them, I know I certainly had to wait for those people.

So those last 3 years of high school were awful. They were just so boring. I wasn't challenged at all, it was mundane day in day out same bullshit.
Plus half the shit is irrelevant. I don't care what they say, that's the god damn truth.
90% of what you learn in high school, if you need it for your job it will be in it's simplest form and they will teach you how to do it when you first start the job.

And what came after high school, well I for whatever reason wanted to go to college which meant that I needed a job because my parents sure as fuck weren't paying for shit. So I then worked in a petrol station for a year. I think it's pretty self explanatory where the lack of challenge was there...
That was also awful in the sense that my co-workers were high school drop outs and to this day are the dumbest people I have ever known. Like they couldn't tell you the capital of Australia for fuck sake.
One bonus was that is where I knew I wanted to start my own business. Before that I wanted to be an architect. Was gonna move to Dubai and design skyscrapers. In fact, if I didn't have to raise the money myself I'd be in my final year of an architecture degree right now.
My boss was a cunt. Customers were cunts (not all, but I have stories, people that work in customer service know what I'm talking about.). My co-workers were cunts. My manager was... actually she was pretty nice. But the accountant was a cunt. But my boss was the single biggest cunt I had ever met (up till that point, we'll get to the biggest in a moment). Like he'd come in and go ape shit, and when I mean ape shit I mean full on yelling, like "RRRRRRAAAWWWWWRRRRR!!!!!!", and have a go at me. Never yelled at anyone else but me. Yelled at me all the time. Maybe it was because I refused to go to the work social thing every Friday I dunno. I was his best employer, customers fucking loved me. (Customer service earmuffs and the real earmuffs are unrecognizably different.).

Anyway. Left that cunty shit hole place and came here to university to do my commerce degree.
And low and behold.. all the problems I had with high school (being dumbed down, not challenging, taking ages to learn something that can be taught in a fraction of the time) carried over to university. I mean it was better because it takes up a quarter of my time as high school and isn't compulsory. But it's in no way hard or challenging.
SO now I'm bored of this too.
Oh, and I got a bit of excitement last year when I sued to deliver Indian food for a restaurant. Me and the co-workers got a long so so well. Those guys are great. but OMG my boss was hands down the biggest cunt this world has ever seen. BIGGEST CUNT EVER!. Mr Cunty-cunt-cunt.
Only good thing to come out of that job was I got to know my way around the city very very fast. I don't suspect I would be welcome in that restaurant... I sort of left in a hurry... as in I sorta walked out on the job. I believe the exact quote leading to me walking out was my cunt boss saying under his breath to his cunty friend after I questioned him on my hours (I was right he was wrong) "Useless fuck". It was in Indian, but like I said, the co-workers and me got a long very very well. So "Useless fuck" was followed by "Do your own fucking deliveries!".
Plus I was the best delivery boy there. The other two never served in the restaurant when there was no deliveries. The others didn't work overtime. The others didn't work in the fucking snow! (on a scooter...)[/life story]

So yes, that is my life.
One big ball of "thiiiis is soo boringg!!!".

[Image: oscar.png]
03-08-2012, 11:44 AM
So, did you get free Indian food? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
(03-08-2012 11:44 AM)kim Wrote:  So, did you get free Indian food? Shy

I did. The boss didn't know, the kitchen staff gave it to me when he wasn't in the kitchen when I finished work.
Best Indian food I've ever had was from that place.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-08-2012, 12:07 PM
(03-08-2012 09:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm bored.

And I don't mean that in sense of "then go read a book" (which in itself is a laughable statement as the implication is to go read a fiction book and I do not understand people that waste time reading fiction books, but each their own), I mean that in the sense of for the last 6years I have been bored out of my mind.

[life story] See I never use to be the person I am today. I mean I've always been 'different', you would not class me as a normal child at all. You'd catch me reading a newspaper before you'd catch me watching sport. But back then, before I was like 16, I would actually talk to people, I'd join in in class group shit and I'd actually hang out with my friends. Plus I was actually nice and respectful to people, believe it or not.
I think I was distracted. When you're mind is infected with social gossip you tend to lose grip on shit that actually matters. So when I grew out of that shit what was left to actually fill up my mind? School, education, learning. But because the schooling system was created by idiots for idiots as someone who was top of their class I was constantly given mundane easy work that I would finish easily. Now this same work was challenging for some and so if I finished early I'd have to wait for the rest of the class to catch up. So if I learned trigonometry in an afternoon, I'd have to sit through one or two weeks of classes that the teacher had prepared, bored out of my mind. It was like this the whole way through high school. They'd teach something, I'd learn it, I'd spend 90% of the time waiting for everyone else to catch up.
High school is such a waste of time in this regard. You add the time it takes for the teacher to deal with unruly little shits, retards that need to ask the same question just answered because they don't get it after a billion times, lunch and recess, waiting for the bus, attendance, that 10minutes at the start and that 10minutes at the end of the lesson when nothing ever happens, and all you end up with is one HUGE fucking waste of my time.
Yet it's compulsory by law, and universities judge based off if you pass or not (or grades if you wanna be a doctor or something).
If, god forbid, I ever have children they are so getting home schooled. Teach them a whole year in a week or two, done, dusted.
And then we wonder why young people have no work ethic? it's because the school system is designed so that they can just slouch about and take their time and everyone will wait for them, I know I certainly had to wait for those people.

So those last 3 years of high school were awful. They were just so boring. I wasn't challenged at all, it was mundane day in day out same bullshit.
Plus half the shit is irrelevant. I don't care what they say, that's the god damn truth.
90% of what you learn in high school, if you need it for your job it will be in it's simplest form and they will teach you how to do it when you first start the job.

And what came after high school, well I for whatever reason wanted to go to college which meant that I needed a job because my parents sure as fuck weren't paying for shit. So I then worked in a petrol station for a year. I think it's pretty self explanatory where the lack of challenge was there...
That was also awful in the sense that my co-workers were high school drop outs and to this day are the dumbest people I have ever known. Like they couldn't tell you the capital of Australia for fuck sake.
One bonus was that is where I knew I wanted to start my own business. Before that I wanted to be an architect. Was gonna move to Dubai and design skyscrapers. In fact, if I didn't have to raise the money myself I'd be in my final year of an architecture degree right now.
My boss was a cunt. Customers were cunts (not all, but I have stories, people that work in customer service know what I'm talking about.). My co-workers were cunts. My manager was... actually she was pretty nice. But the accountant was a cunt. But my boss was the single biggest cunt I had ever met (up till that point, we'll get to the biggest in a moment). Like he'd come in and go ape shit, and when I mean ape shit I mean full on yelling, like "RRRRRRAAAWWWWWRRRRR!!!!!!", and have a go at me. Never yelled at anyone else but me. Yelled at me all the time. Maybe it was because I refused to go to the work social thing every Friday I dunno. I was his best employer, customers fucking loved me. (Customer service earmuffs and the real earmuffs are unrecognizably different.).

Anyway. Left that cunty shit hole place and came here to university to do my commerce degree.
And low and behold.. all the problems I had with high school (being dumbed down, not challenging, taking ages to learn something that can be taught in a fraction of the time) carried over to university. I mean it was better because it takes up a quarter of my time as high school and isn't compulsory. But it's in no way hard or challenging.
SO now I'm bored of this too.
Oh, and I got a bit of excitement last year when I sued to deliver Indian food for a restaurant. Me and the co-workers got a long so so well. Those guys are great. but OMG my boss was hands down the biggest cunt this world has ever seen. BIGGEST CUNT EVER!. Mr Cunty-cunt-cunt.
Only good thing to come out of that job was I got to know my way around the city very very fast. I don't suspect I would be welcome in that restaurant... I sort of left in a hurry... as in I sorta walked out on the job. I believe the exact quote leading to me walking out was my cunt boss saying under his breath to his cunty friend after I questioned him on my hours (I was right he was wrong) "Useless fuck". It was in Indian, but like I said, the co-workers and me got a long very very well. So "Useless fuck" was followed by "Do your own fucking deliveries!".
Plus I was the best delivery boy there. The other two never served in the restaurant when there was no deliveries. The others didn't work overtime. The others didn't work in the fucking snow! (on a scooter...)[/life story]

So yes, that is my life.
One big ball of "thiiiis is soo boringg!!!".

"Customer service earmuffs and the real earmuffs are unrecognizably different.)."

Muffs that has to be the biggest understatemnet ever Smile

I had a stint is customer service a long time ago and also had to keep my mouth in check. It was amazing so stupid, rude and horrible some people are.

David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm very much that way too. Doing customer service, I'm polite, attentive, extremely helpful... in real life, I'm practically an asshole. Comparatively, speaking. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
03-08-2012, 12:22 PM
(03-08-2012 12:15 PM)kim Wrote:  I'm very much that way too. Doing customer service, I'm polite, attentive, extremely helpful... in real life, I'm practically an asshole. Comparatively, speaking. Angel

But you are polite, attentive and extremely helpful here...does that mean you view us as badly as you do the customers your have to put up with? Sadcryface

David Hume